Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have no planned drives today (Thursday 10/7) but have enough planned drive for tomorrow (Friday 10/8) to bring my score to a 99.5 (rounded to 100 in app).

Which is Elon's definition of Friday midnight: Friday 10/7 at 12:00 AM or Saturday 10/8 at 12:00 AM? Also, wondering if I need to make the cutoff for this round or if I'll get FSD Beta once my score hits 100?

Trying to decide if I need a freeway cruise late tonight.
Better safe than sorry?! After two weeks of granny driving, why risk it?!

I have no planned drives today (Thursday 10/7) but have enough planned drive for tomorrow (Friday 10/8) to bring my score to a 99.5 (rounded to 100 in app).

Which is Elon's definition of Friday midnight: Friday 10/7 at 12:00 AM or Saturday 10/8 at 12:00 AM? Also, wondering if I need to make the cutoff for this round or if I'll get FSD Beta once my score hits 100?

Trying to decide if I need a freeway cruise late tonight.
It's late Friday night/early Saturday morning depending on your time zone. That being said, idk when the cutoff point is. I'd assume a few hours earlier than when the rollout happens

Because of my aforementioned one bad day on the road with my 2.5% hard braking score resulting in a 94 for a 613 miles drive, I will need to log 3,055 miles of perfect 100s to get to 99. (All my other days are 99 or 100s)

Guess I'm in purgatory for a while

Reactions: jebinc
Yah, I was simplifying to a specific speed/force point (and region above max regen).
You bring up a great point that regen can't produce more force (acceleration) than it can produce. A car stopped on a hill has all its braking force available, whereas once in gear it is limited to the motor ouput. (Automatic pointed uphill for comparison, take your foot off the brake and it rolls backwards, but on a flat surface it would creep forwards). So you can have slope that regen can't hold the car in place on.

If regen is open loop controlled by a speed to kW lookup table to provide an approximately constant deceleration force, then regen can only trip the braking limit if it can achieve 0.3G on its own, which it would then also do on flat ground (unless the open loop includes vehicle angle).

If it is close loop controlled to the vehicle acceleration (up to the power limit), then 0.2G of net deceleration requires 0.3G of regen induced force if on a 0.1G slope and it could trip the braking limit. Due to the power limit, a quickly moving car could have less regen than needed to decelerate on the slope, but would slow at a lower speed.

Alternatively, regen could have both a power and speed upper bound (don't slow too quickly). That would also allow more regen force on a downhill than on a flat (clipped due to speed change)
None of the alternatives seem to be the case. Everyone says the car takes longer to slow down on a hill. This points to it being a constant force in the direction of travel, regardless, which surprises me. I don't know how they are getting the correct acceleration to bring the car to a stop in a fixed distance from a given speed while on a hill. Stop in 200 feet from 40 mph, for example. If they aren't using the actual change in speed wrt time, the calculation will be wrong.

And just like the "safety score" your wh/mi is more based on where you drive than how you drive.
But this is the company that refuses to put speed or acceleration in their safety score. What will the efficiency score look like without those? ;)
There is a close relation of wh/mi with safety score. My Wh/mi improved dramatically since I’ve been working on Getting my score to 100. My DM model 3 lifetime average was 265Wh/mi, and I’ve been in the 240 range now lol.

Even though speed and acceleration are not included, keeping bigger gaps to avoid braking and FCWs means you have to drive slower anyway

None of the alternatives seem to be the case. Everyone says the car takes longer to slow down on a hill. This points to it being a constant force in the direction of travel, regardless, which surprises me. I don't know how they are getting the correct acceleration to bring the car to a stop in a fixed distance from a given speed while on a hill. Stop in 200 feet from 40 mph, for example. If they aren't using the actual change in speed wrt time, the calculation will be wrong.
If the car is hitting the power limit, then wouldn't a hill slow slower, even if it is more kW than when on a flat surface? Wish I had one to just test this out.

Fixed distance on TACC or AP you mean? That would probably be a control loop around distance and speed (to get a target acceleration to get a target regen power via a PID) and can also use the brakes.

This is for discussion...I'm not certain on this...any thoughts...is it logical?

That would make the number of vehicles participating lower.
You mean higher, don’t you? Lower % of non-TeslaFi users likely have 100. So that means more of them participating than (1200-TeslaFi100s)/0.09? Maybe I’m misunderstanding.

For those working to get to a score of 100 by the 10.2 release here is a link to my spreadsheet that can assist you in your planning.
There are full instructions on the sheet as shown on the screenshot below the link. Thanks for the nice comments I've gotten from folks who have used this. Who is going to pull a ~500 miler to get to 100? Good luck and safe driving.

1633623072825.png

There is a close relation of wh/mi with safety score. My Wh/mi improved dramatically since I’ve been working on Getting my score to 100. My DM model 3 lifetime average was 265Wh/mi, and I’ve been in the 240 range now lol.

Even though speed and acceleration are not included, keeping bigger gaps to avoid braking and FCWs means you have to drive slower anyway
Interesting I have noticed the opposite on my M3P. My efficiency has gone down. Still driving the same speed on the highway because I use AP so interesting that my efficiency has gone down.

Welp, guess I am out of the running for a while. Was maintaining a 99 with my daily 80 mile round trip commute, but had to go "down below" last weekend into the jungles of the Inland Empire and Mr Az_Rael ended up getting 2 (!) FCWs on the way home. Dropped our score to 97, and haven't been able to dig out of that hole yet.

I debated telling him to reset the car at the time to erase the FCWs, but decided that since we both drive the car regularly, it's probably better to just let it reflect our actual driving habits vs "gaming" anything. Happy husband happy life as they (kinda) say, LOL.

There is a close relation of wh/mi with safety score.
Things that can only be said by people that live in flat areas of California.
My Wh/Mi is dominated by temperature first, and where I drove second.
My model X gets about 350 wh/mi in the summer and almost 500 wh/mi in the winter just from the heater, and one drive to the mountains can make it 700 wh/mi.

Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
And postponing further rollout indefinitely should surprise no one, either. Have to be in the first group, as has been discussed earlier.
That surprises me.

I thought they would do 1k rollout daily for a few days - but monitor closely and stop the rollout if they found issues. Apparently the team wants to monitor the first batch for longer before the next rollout.

At least Elon admits the current safety score is not an extremely good predictor of crash frequency, and what we have now is "early beta" (oh look, another qualifier to beta). Fascinating that 6B miles of data isn't nearly enough. Wonder how long it will be until they do have to fold in acceleration and speeding (or relative speed to other cars) and people start noticing that the cars Tesla sells are specifically designed and marketed to do unsafe things.

The mind numbing part of this is that Elon himself saying this currently isn't a good predictor won't stop him at all from saying they rolled out FSD only to the "safest" drivers, nor claiming that a driver with a 100 score is better than a driver with a 98 score. That is an interesting actuarial problem, to go and use numbers that you know are false to act upon.