Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes - it indicates not paying attention.
Or it means you were paying attention to something outside of the screen, or that it mis-detected your hands on the wheel. It does not detect how much attention you were actually paying to the overall task of driving, only to the warnings inside the vehicle. Every time I have triggered this, I have been task saturated with other things that were more important than manually fighting the AP to let it know I am there.

I mean, if not paying attention is the #1 thing that is intuitive, then why don't they use the driver monitoring camera in this score?

Will definitely do after Saturday. I'm fairly certain that on some of the hills we have here, the only way to stop in between / at the bottom in a reasonable braking distance is to apply more than 0.3g of force.
I have the 2021 refresh MS as well so there's no setting to adjust regen, not sure what the default (the only setting) is for it comparing to your vehicle.
Hard braking has been dinging me a bunch on my regular short trips because the first section is always downhill and it takes empty streets and a lot of luck to keep their definition of extreme hard braking to close to 0. I’ve stopped using AP on the straight well-marked roads here because its braking is the opposite of cautious haha
I don't get dinged for the AP smashing the brakes but I get dinged for full regen driving manually
For sure! I rarely have to use the brake, but today AP in stop n go traffic dropped the brake pedal to the floor almost every third stop. Panic at 5MPH!
I have noticed it's been spotty. Some days it's a nice gradual stop and some days it slams the brakes making my crap fall off the back seat onto the floor, and then gradually rolls up to the car in front like nothing ever happened. I swear it's trolling me 😅

• Funny
Reactions: _jal_ and EVNow
so close…. I thought I had it today, but when I went back to check all my scores. I see I had a 96 on day 1, not a 97. That added another 70+ miles. (Sigh). It will have to be tomorrow.

1633646751648.jpeg

I have all metrics CLEAN except for a FCW on day 2. I could only get to 99 Driving for a total of around 400 miles.
bummer they will hold rollout after first day.
so after tomorrow the scoring system stops? or does this continue until next group gets it ?

According to Elon there’s ~1000 drivers who have 100 safety score who will get the beta 3am EST
Yep and he estimated it could be 1100 or 1200 by midnight Friday PDT but clearly stated everyone with a 100 will get it Friday night. My S stuck on 98 will probably get it by 2025 but my 3 stuck on 100 will stay parked in my garage until midnight Friday. I am 50% pleased.🤣

• Funny
Reactions: Ramphex
Yep and he estimated it could be 1100 or 1200 by midnight Friday but clearly stated everyone with a 100 will get it at midnight Friday. My S stuck on 98 will probably get it next year but my 3 stuck on 100 will stay parked in my garage until midnight Friday. I an 50% pleased.🤣
Good thing is you can try the routes Waymo users tried and see how well FSD Beta works !!

Reactions: Skateboardgolf
I vote that everyone here that uses "brake" correctly (instead of "break") should automatically join the FSD Beta crew!!
All this talk about braking is breaking me…I can’t even use the blasted brake pedal in my Refresh S as anything other than lightly releasing the go pedal will register a Hard Braking ding. Give me a break with the brake comments. 🤣

Still stuck at 99 with 1,400 total commute miles…. No trips….no gaming the system…just commute and weekend family beater car..

6DA05428-27A0-4D5E-B5B5-C5D0FB9903E6.jpeg

Reactions: powertoold
I mean, if not paying attention is the #1 thing that is intuitive, then why don't they use the driver monitoring camera in this score?

I believe that the interior camera is not reliable with sunglasses for Model 3 at least. Maybe Y as well. I've seen IR LEDs next to the interior on the refreshed S, so I assume that camera can do a reliable job monitoring drivers. But the vast majority of interior cameras are screwed if you have sunglasses on.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I believe that the interior camera is not reliable with sunglasses for Model 3 at least.
Every time I ask why they don't use something (speed limits, driver monitoring, running stop signs) people say "that isn't reliable enough."

But we all know FCW's are full of false positives, and we're sure braking is a "reliable" indicator of unsafe driving, and they use those?

Every time I ask why they don't use something
You quoted something that wasn't my quote somehow. But basically I agree with @novox77.

then why don't they use the driver monitoring camera in this score?
The current parameters they track with the camera are likely not consistent enough, and don't work well enough in varied conditions to be fair or predictive to use in the score, unfortunately. There's also the issue about them not having the comprehensive dataset from those cameras to fit to the PCF.

All of this drama and discussion about the Safety Score and it using the "right" parameters and having the fitting data properly "cleansed." There are many issues with the Score, but the biggest issue with it in my view as currently implemented is that it allows "cheating." I think that every now and again someone is going to make a mistake and slam on the brakes - this is fine (it's recoverable!), but it would be great if they couldn't just reset their way out of it. For now, everyone can reset, and it is what it is; I assume many people with 100 scores have done it, but I hope that most people have a minimal number of resets, and yes, it limits their mileage (but this is apparently not going to be a selection factor so it's not a penalty). The game is the game and resets are allowed for now. But would be great to see this loophole closed going forward, especially when it comes to remaining in the FSD Beta evaluation group, since it most definitely skews the accuracy of the Safety Score, and allows unsafe driving to occur without penalty.

It's important to know when people have FCWs, whether they be "phantom" or not, and when they have had AP disengagements from going over 90mph (or whatever the reason). FCWs definitely are often an indicator of aggressive driving. It makes sense that they be counted, even if some of them are false. It's fine; we're looking for correlations here, not perfect predictive capability. Lots of FCWs are correlated with running up on people from behind who are turning (even if you see them), drivers predicting other driver behavior and assuming people will move from their path before they reach the other vehicle's current location, driving in traffic where other drivers are slamming on their brakes, driving on curving streets with many parked vehicles, driving on roads with blind hills, etc.

It's a very imperfect measure. But it doesn't have to be perfect.

Last edited:
The FCW in particular can be a finicky pest. When I leave my neighborhood there is a section 1/4 mile in to my commute that has a slight rise and turn that will create a FCW if ANY cars are coming from the other direction and there is no lead car. I have had to use A/P every time I leave the house because it is almost a guarantee for a FCW. A/P has shown FCW 15+ times in the last 2 weeks but I haven’t been dinged once for it 🙏🏻🙏🏻

The FCW in particular can be a finicky pest. When I leave my neighborhood there is a section 1/4 mile in to my commute that has a slight rise and turn that will create a FCW if ANY cars are coming from the other direction and there is no lead car. I have had to use A/P every time I leave the house because it is almost a guarantee for a FCW. A/P has shown FCW 15+ times in the last 2 weeks but I haven’t been dinged once for it 🙏🏻🙏🏻
I'm guessing that is a city street - not freeway ?

I used to get FCW for winding roads in the beginning ('19 ?) - none now-a-days.

Auto wipers are a beta.
Every single AP feature to this point is a beta.
It means nothing. Tesla has ruined the word "beta" on purpose.

Do we really expect City Streets Autosteer beta to be so bad, that the expected outcome of ignoring nags is a crash?
If that's true, it means you're expecting FSD beta to be attempting to crash about every 90 seconds.
Meanwhile others are saying they fully expect it to handle a 20 mile drive to work with no intervention.
If you watch the beta videos, I'd say yes if you are not paying attention and just trust that the car will be perfect, it will absolutely get in a wreck at some point.