Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was dinged once for unsafe following, at 05:45 in the morning with no cars on the road.
I wouldn't be surprised if there were occasional instances of spurious detections, though I haven't seen them. But they of course will not matter in any significant way to the overall score if you're banking safe following time on your trip. Annoying, but even if it hoses that trip score, crushing it to an inferior score of 99 with 60% unsafe following, it's typically going to be super easy to be fixed later.

Reactions: GeoffEV
Old habits die hard! 49.9% unsafe following, score of 99 for this 4-mile drive. Fortunately this will take about 3-4 seconds of following someone later today to patch up and bring my daily score up to 100 (at 33% unsafe following for the day right now), haha. Should take no more than about 5 minutes on the main road, if I get around to it. For this low mileage I'm not sure I'll bother. This was the only following event logged on the drive, of course.

It's 100% correct though. I like to stay out of the slow lane on this road because it's a bunch of manhole covers on the right hand side of the lane (you can't straddle them easily). That old habit of avoiding them (you can see I avoided one) really bit me. Should have waited!

Love the scoring system. It enforces excellent safety habits. Except for the AP incentivization as mentioned earlier.

Yes, each day's score is first rounded to the nearest integer. Then the mileage-weighted average of the scores is calculated, and rounded to the nearest integer.
Serves you right for obeying courtesy “slower traffic keep right”. I mean THIS is exactly what will clearly differentiate an FSD from a very good human driver. I was ALWAYS taught to watch my six, if someone was closing quickly MOVE to the right if possible, then move back if you really want to. And yet, I really doubt we’d see this type of rapid real time action from FSD anytime soon. It will move into a fast lane to move around a car in front that is traveling slower, and will move back right out oft the left lane, but i doubt it’s this reactive to real conditions as this dance you exhibited. I seriously doubt the FSD will get to that point quickly. Someone posted on another thread I think that “they KNOW they are a better driver than FSD“ andI agree as I’m in the same boat. There really does see to need a better way to actually track/map/mimic all the things a really good driver does, WHY they do it WHAT are they watching and watching out for, HOW are they THINKING about reacting, ANTICIPATING, etc. But, I guess that must have been too hard for Tesla to try and capture and map out.

Keep on truckin’

I was dinged once for unsafe following, at 05:45 in the morning with no cars on the road.

That's some Minority Report *sugar* there. Probably at their Austin Headquarters,

main-qimg-7df1a71edacb99c9dd92b949ffb9bdc1

Reactions: BCNY
but i doubt it’s this reactive to real conditions as this dance you exhibited. I seriously doubt the FSD will get to that point quickly.

To me it actually seems like this is one of the easiest problems that FSD still needs to solve. It all comes down to their ability to detect objects with the rear camera (I really don't know how well that will work - the recent 1/3 meter 100-meter range voxel array from the BEV NN that they're not using right now seems like it would be good enough in most circumstances though). If they actually can detect that reliably, behaving appropriately for fast approaching traffic from the rear seems fairly easy to program, relative to the other challenges involved with FSD.

I got the beta last night and took it for a few drives today. Overall, I was very impressed. Some drives had no interventions at all, some did. Pretty expected.

I did notice that my Safety Score is no longer showing up on my Android phone. I assumed they turned it off because I am now in the beta, but it is still showing up on my iPad (I installed it there waiting for the Android version to show up on the Play Store).

You're right! Maybe Elon will direct his folks to disqualify everyone that has done a software reset to eliminate their screw ups...including those who already have the beta!
Although it can obviously be abused, I fail to see how anyone has a problem with someone correcting for totally false FCWs. I personally had one with hundreds of feet to the next car in my lane. Given the steep penalty and the complete lack of value in including an incorrect result in the data set, I had no qualms, ethical or otherwise, about triggering the reset.

I

I'll confidently expand upon that by saying, "No Refreshed LR or Plaid received the FSD beta update..." Meaning, no cars with the Tesla mandatory yoke was granted the opportunity, 100 safety score or not. Absent any comment from Tesla on this, most conclude Tesla/EM is not confident in their yoke with beta FSD software. Nice, right?!
Um those cars have significantly different electronics in them. Consumets expect their favorite web sites, and app, and programs to work on all sorts of devices. It takes a LOT of work to make that happen.

Considering this is beta software; I feel like it's reasonable for there to be a delay for the refreshed cars to get the update.

I get that it's not fun, and more info could have helped form you're decisions. EVEN though I'm super jellous of your refreshed model s, you have my sympathy.

But blaming it on the steering wheel doesn't make any sense to me. Maybe take a step back.

I challenge you to write a hello world app for Android and iPhone that looks and works the same on both devices. ;-)

Um those cars have significantly different electronics in them. Consumets expect their favorite web sites, and app, and programs to work on all sorts of devices. It takes a LOT of work to make that happen.

Considering this is beta software; I feel like it's reasonable for there to be a delay for the refreshed cars to get the update.

I get that it's not fun, and more info could have helped form you're decisions. EVEN though I'm super jellous of your refreshed model s, you have my sympathy.

But blaming it on the steering wheel doesn't make any sense to me. Maybe take a step back.

I challenge you to write a hello world app for Android and iPhone that looks and works the same on both devices. ;-)
@JosiahLuscher Let me be very clear here. Not at all putting my disappointment on the yoke, but rather those at Tesla who imposed it, only to prohibit those who own it (cars with yoke and purchased FSD) from getting either the yoke improvement (2021.36) or FSD beta updates.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Quick question for the group as far as safe follow is concerned.... Can we get a lower score by going out on the highway in the wee hours of the night driving with NO traffic or do we believe I would need to actually "follow" someone but just at a healthy distance?

I bet your right, but hope your wrong!
@Ryan27 At this point in time, the statements are 100% correct for yoked cars with purchased FSD. Zero people have stepped forward in this, or any other venue, claiming to have received either the yoke improvement, or FSD beta updates. The latter has been out for nearly two weeks, so folks can’t rationalize (provide cover for Tesla) by citing that all that’s needed is patience.

• Helpful
Reactions: FSDtester#1