Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Score 95, dinged for hard braking today. Regen only. Tesla replied to my request to activate the audible warning for my 68 FCWs... they said there's nothing they can do, they can't see the logs, it's in beta. I told them I disagree. FCW is a feature to protect my family from harm, and if I can't hear it, I'm not backing off. I don't care if it's in beta. It's sending false data that appears on my record, especially if used for future insurance. Is their insurance in beta ? I tweeted Elon and asked when FCWs were coming out of beta. Not expecting a response, but his service department will not support it.
Just a suggestion:
  • Make sure you have early warning set to "Early" in your settings. The Safety score FCW is based on a "Medium" setting regardless of the setting you have applied in the car. If you have yours set to Medium or Late then you can get FCWs hitting your score which you never will see in the car because of your setting. You may or may not have enough additional warning to react, but at least you should see the FCWs that are dinging you.
  • Set your Regen to "Low" setting. When set to "Normal" it is possible to get Hard brake events solely from max regen braking. The threshold appears to be somewhere between low regen and full max regen. Trying to drive with low regen only is overly conservative, but at least you shouldn't get HB events.

Reactions: Itsuo-DC
I'm getting constantly dinged for "hard braking" when ever I leave my neighborhood, which is down a very steep hill. The deceleration on the downslope is triggering false hard braking events. Even if I slow down extremely gradually and drawn out, I'm fighting against gravity and Tesla's g sensor.

My safety score daily trips show consistent hard braking for all trips leaving my neighborhood, and none for trips returning.

Anyone have a pointer for where I can send this feedback to Tesla? It seems to be a major gap in their measurement algorithm. They need to take into account the angle of approach when braking.

Last edited:
Reactions: GargantulaKon
Just a suggestion:
  • Make sure you have early warning set to "Early" in your settings. The Safety score FCW is based on a "Medium" setting regardless of the setting you have applied in the car. If you have yours set to Medium or Late then you can get FCWs hitting your score which you never will see in the car because of your setting. You may or may not have enough additional warning to react, but at least you should see the FCWs that are dinging you.
  • Set your Regen to "Low" setting. When set to "Normal" it is possible to get Hard brake events solely from max regen braking. The threshold appears to be somewhere between low regen and full max regen. Trying to drive with low regen only is overly conservative, but at least you shouldn't get HB events.
  • Thanks.. I set the FCW to medium, because the score is based on medium and I hoped to "hear" what it was measuring. My bad
  • I like my regen on high, but so noted. Autopilot brakes later and harder than I do. If Tesla really wanted us to be safe, we would get real time feedback on all negative driving factors. BTW, I haven't gotten one autopilot nag screen after torquing the steering wheel short of disengagement as I drive. Besides, hard braking is just necessary around here. Kids run out from between cars, while I'm going 5-10mph in a 25. Am I supposed to hit them ?

According to CA law, they can't use your driving score for insurance - until they can prove its not discriminatory. Considering Musk is saying the safety score is beta, definitely it won't be used for future insurance.
So noted, it's less about insurance than falsely being denied the opportunity to try something I paid for 18 months ago. I've gathered a few good tricks to game the system but I'm interested in watching everybody else test what I'll get, hopefully by year end. Time to turn on track mode and have some fun. I'll see if I can reboot the results. Set up another profile, make a few trips on 280 when it's quiet, but I have more fun things to do. Thanks for the advice. I love the car though, and wouldn't go back to gas, but not sure I'll stick with Tesla. Yea right..

I'm getting constantly dinged for "hard braking" when ever I leave my neighborhood, which is down a very steep hill. The deceleration on the downslope is triggering false hard braking events. Even if I slow down extremely gradually and drawn out, I'm fighting against gravity and Tesla's g sensor.

My safety score daily trips show consistent hard braking for all trips leaving my neighborhood, and none for trips returning.

Anyone have a pointer for where I can send this feedback to Tesla? It seems to be a major gap in their measurement algorithm. They need to take into account the angle of approach when braking.
If anything, if you have very steep hills, it should make it extremely easy to rack up tons of time doing "medium braking." You should be able to crush any hard braking events to 0.0%. The key is to go down the hill at a constant speed, and not too fast (well below the speed limit most likely). Someone who is skilled with the accelerator pedal should try it out sometime. It's not clear whether Tesla "gates" the accumulation of events below a certain speed.

Unfortunately the Safety Score seems to now be disabled for many, so now that the pressure is somewhat off, we can't get the results anymore.

If anything, if you have very steep hills, it should make it extremely easy to rack up tons of time doing "medium braking." You should be able to crush any hard braking events to 0.0%. The key is to go down the hill at a constant speed, and not too fast (well below the speed limit most likely). Someone who is skilled with the accelerator pedal should try it out sometime. It's not clear whether Tesla "gates" the accumulation of events below a certain speed.

Unfortunately the Safety Score seems to now be disabled for many, so now that the pressure is somewhat off, we can't get the results anymore.
I should have been clearer. It's not the driving down the hill part that I get dinged for. It's the last part at the base of the hill that intersects with a major roadway at a traffic light. That last section is short, steep, 25mph, and comes to hard stop. Even if I go max regen and take it slow, it's steep enough that the car accelerates under regen and I still have to get on the brakes to stop for the intersection. With the car nose down at a 20% grade, it _always_ records this as a hard brake event.

That last section is short, steep, 25mph, and comes to hard stop. Even if I go max regen and take it slow, it's steep enough that the car accelerates under regen and I still have to get on the brakes to stop for the intersection. With the car nose down at a 20% grade, it _always_ records this as a hard brake event.
Yes, I realize that - the key is to not go 25mph. You can use the brakes at the top of the hill if it prevents acceleration - this will help you because it allows you to keep the acceleration measured by the sensor constant rather than it to reduce as you accelerate (which will inevitably have to be offset by an excursion in the bad direction at the bottom of the hill). You just can't use them too much. Picking up any speed on the hill will eventually make it impossible to avoid 0.3g at the bottom.

It's definitely possible to make it not record as a hard braking event if the grade is not more than 20% (and it should allow you to rack up a lot of good braking credit). But the margins are tight. The slower you go the easier it will be to modulate the accelerator (or the brake) to fit in the envelope.

Is the intersection at the stop sign itself level? I know you might not want to reveal the location, but if you don't care, it might be nice to see the Google Streetview map link to see what a problematic hill looks like.

Last edited:
Reactions: GeoffEV
Yes, I realize that - the key is to not go 25mph. You can use the brakes if it prevents acceleration - this will help you because it allows you to keep the acceleration measured by the sensor constant rather than it to reduce as you accelerate (which will inevitably have to be offset by an excursion in the bad direction at the bottom of the hill). You just can't use them too much. Picking up any speed on the hill will eventually make it impossible to avoid 0.3g at the bottom.

It's definitely possible to make it not record as a hard braking event if the grade is not more than 20% (and it should allow you to rack up a lot of good braking credit). But the margins are tight. The slower you go the easier it will be to modulate the accelerator (or the brake) to fit in the envelope.
Even if I could keep it to well under the speed limit without getting rear ended by someone else coming down the hill, which is a real concern here, and keep it to say 15mph under constant light braking, when I hit the last part and decelerate from 15mph to 0, even over a loonnnngg protracted duration(again, wildly impractical due to rear ending concerns), I'm up against gravity.

The 0.3g that Tesla allows for before hitting a "hard braking" event at a 20 downslope leaves me very little margin indeed. If my math is right, I think I'm already at 0.22g just from the grade. This handy deceleration calculator then tells me that if I want to stay under budget then I have to slow from 25mph to 0 in no shorter than 16 seconds to stay under the remaining 0.08g. That's really drawn out.

I guess I could engage autopilot and let it brake for the intersection for me so it doesn't count against my score. By I find that autopilot brakes *hard* in this circumstance, as it doesn't extend the braking duration at all to account for the slope. It treats it as it would any other flat intersection.

Or, Tesla could just take into account the angle of the car.

Tesla could just take into account the angle of the car.
This has been discussed a lot here previously, but I tend to be of the opinion that it's correct to just look at the acceleration seen by the sensor, because the tires will be working a lot harder on a downhill like that. So it should be harder to get good scores on downhills vs. uphills. People who allow much longer stopping distances on downhills allow their tires to operate with more margin. So it would make sense for the Safety Score to not remove the grade of the hill from the metric (so not just look at wheel speed reduction). Meaning, the Safety Score seems like it is working as intended.

That's really drawn out.

Yes it is. But think of all the good braking time you can rack up. I wouldn't play this game if there's someone who's going to rear-end you, though.

• Informative
Reactions: nvx1977 and GeoffEV
Tesla! Your scoring is flawed. I have set my cruse control to maintain the max following distance of 7 and I’m still dinged for following to close 26.1% of my driving time, mostly on expressway, and mostly on cruse control.

You do drive as well don’t you? It is impossible to maintain even a 3 car length following distance; other drivers constantly jump into a space that size.

Your scoring is flawed, I give you a 70%

Fix this!

Reactions: jeremymc7
This has been discussed a lot here previously, but I tend to be of the opinion that it's correct to just look at the acceleration seen by the sensor, because the tires will be working a lot harder on a downhill like that. So it should be harder to get good scores on downhills vs. uphills. People who allow much longer stopping distances on downhills allow their tires to operate with more margin. So it would make sense for the Safety Score to not remove the grade of the hill from the metric (so not just look at wheel speed reduction). Meaning, the Safety Score seems like it is working as intended.

Yes it is. But think of all the good braking time you can rack up. I wouldn't play this game if there's someone who's going to rear-end you, though.
Yeah, that's fair. And I do extend my braking here quite a bit. Just not enough obviously to appease the algorithm. Perhaps the other takeaway here is Autopilot doesn't take into account the grade at all and is far worse than a human under these conditions. Either way, Tesla should use angle information. They don't seem to be in either case.