Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even if I could keep it to well under the speed limit without getting rear ended by someone else coming down the hill, which is a real concern here, and keep it to say 15mph under constant light braking, when I hit the last part and decelerate from 15mph to 0, even over a loonnnngg protracted duration(again, wildly impractical due to rear ending concerns), I'm up against gravity.

The 0.3g that Tesla allows for before hitting a "hard braking" event at a 20 downslope leaves me very little margin indeed. If my math is right, I think I'm already at 0.22g just from the grade. This handy deceleration calculator then tells me that if I want to stay under budget then I have to slow from 25mph to 0 in no shorter than 16 seconds to stay under the remaining 0.08g. That's really drawn out.

I guess I could engage autopilot and let it brake for the intersection for me so it doesn't count against my score. By I find that autopilot brakes *hard* in this circumstance, as it doesn't extend the braking duration at all to account for the slope. It treats it as it would any other flat intersection.

Or, Tesla could just take into account the angle of the car.
Is this your street?

1634017980103.jpeg

Tesla! Your scoring is flawed. I have set my cruse control to maintain the max following distance of 7 and I’m still dinged for following to close 26.1% of my driving time, mostly on expressway, and mostly on cruse control.

You do drive as well don’t you? It is impossible to maintain even a 3 car length following distance; other drivers constantly jump into a space that size.

Your scoring is flawed, I give you a 70%

Fix this!
The following distance indicator is pretty dumb, you have to ensure you spend a portion of your (manual) drive between 1 and 3 seconds behind the car in front of you whenever you’re driving 50mph or above to guarantee a low score on this. If you see no one for the whole drive except the one time someone cut you off for a second, you’ll easily get a high % on this one. I’ve gotten in the habit of disengaging AP every once in a while and manually maintaining some approximate distance to avoid getting dinged on this one. Works pretty well.

Is this your street?
Not OP but I wish my streets had such a gradual transition between steep-ass hill and the bottom 🙃 My record in the downhill direction is 0.6% which is enough to bump me down to 99 for the day (0 scores along every other parameter and all 0s on the way home). Most of the time it’s in the low 1% range and sometimes as high as 2.x% (in the red zone somehow) if dare use the brake pedal gently

Yes. But also Unsafe Following, while in FSD.
I think this happened to me too. My entire commute this morning was FSD beta/NOA with 1 intervention at a stop sign when no one was around but I got a ding for unsafe following distance this morning.

Not terribly concerned about it at this point, but as long as the score still shows up in my app, I'll monitor it.

EDIT - Rebooted my phone this morning for an ios update. Score is gone now.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: EVNow
Just a suggestion:
  • Make sure you have early warning set to "Early" in your settings. The Safety score FCW is based on a "Medium" setting regardless of the setting you have applied in the car. If you have yours set to Medium or Late then you can get FCWs hitting your score which you never will see in the car because of your setting. You may or may not have enough additional warning to react, but at least you should see the FCWs that are dinging you.
  • Set your Regen to "Low" setting. When set to "Normal" it is possible to get Hard brake events solely from max regen braking. The threshold appears to be somewhere between low regen and full max regen. Trying to drive with low regen only is overly conservative, but at least you shouldn't get HB events.
I tried this suggestion of setting it to early warning and I still got dinged even though I reacted early to someone cutting me off. I thought I was fine since I reacted quickly and let the data get uploaded to Tesla after my drive instead of resetting. I had to drive pointlessly for two hours just to bring my score up to 99 overall. I still had 98 for the day. I suggest setting it to medium and if you hear the warning, then reset it.

For regen, I still have mine set to normal. You need to control your right foot in order to ease into the regen instead of letting go completely. I've never had a problem with hard braking after learning how much regen is considered hard braking.

Tesla! Your scoring is flawed. I have set my cruse control to maintain the max following distance of 7 and I’m still dinged for following to close 26.1% of my driving time, mostly on expressway, and mostly on cruse control.

You do drive as well don’t you? It is impossible to maintain even a 3 car length following distance; other drivers constantly jump into a space that size.

Your scoring is flawed, I give you a 70%

Fix this!

The Unsafe Following metric is only measured when you are NOT on AP, so it really doesn't matter what you set your following distance to. It is only recording/calculating when you are driving yourself.

I tried this suggestion of setting it to early warning and I still got dinged even though I reacted early to someone cutting me off. I thought I was fine since I reacted quickly and let the data get uploaded to Tesla after my drive instead of resetting. I had to drive pointlessly for two hours just to bring my score up to 99 overall. I still had 98 for the day. I suggest setting it to medium and if you hear the warning, then reset it.

For regen, I still have mine set to normal. You need to control your right foot in order to ease into the regen instead of letting go completely. I've never had a problem with hard braking after learning how much regen is considered hard braking.
I've gotten two FCW penalties, car is set to medium, and never got a screen alert on either. One FCW happened on a short drive where no other cars were near me the entire drive. I think a 3-point turn on a dead end road may have triggered this FCW. Was at 100 when this happened on Sunday. :mad:

Has anyone playing the button game, but under score 100/100, who did not get the 22.25 update for FSD 10.2, got the .36 update? I'm now feeling like my 99 score is preventing me from getting 22.25 FSD beta (obv not good enough of a driver :D) and because of the button game I'm not getting .36 while theres a ton of cars on it already.

Reactions: helvio
Has anyone playing the button game, but under score 100/100, who did not get the 22.25 update for FSD 10.2, got the .36 update? I'm now feeling like my 99 score is preventing me from getting 22.25 FSD beta (obv not good enough of a driver :D) and because of the button game I'm not getting .36 while theres a ton of cars on it already.
Not sure what you mean by "under score 100/100" but I'm at 99 as well, eagerly waiting to get my update after "several days". I have a 1000+ mile trip for this weekend which should push my score to 100 but I'd really love to get the update while I'm there, since some family would love to see it in action! But I don't think I should keep my hopes up...

Spent most of yesterday morning driving around NE Minneapolis with FSD Beta 10.2 and have to say overall I'm impressed. I encountered a few really tricky situations that it struggled with but I honestly had no expectation it would handle them correct. If you are interested in seeing how it responds to some traffic control obstacles check out the video I put together👇

I would think you need to officially opt out for the non-beta firmware to continue getting pushed to you.

Spent most of yesterday morning driving around NE Minneapolis with FSD Beta 10.2 and have to say overall I'm impressed. I encountered a few really tricky situations that it struggled with but I honestly had no expectation it would handle them correct. If you are interested in seeing how it responds to some traffic control obstacles check out the video I put together👇

hide the music bar so your viz is bigger screen

Not OP but I wish my streets had such a gradual transition between steep-ass hill and the bottom 🙃 My record in the downhill direction is 0.6% which is enough to bump me down to 99 for the day (0 scores along every other parameter and all 0s on the way home). Most of the time it’s in the low 1% range and sometimes as high as 2.x% (in the red zone somehow) if dare use the brake pedal gently
That's nothing. My overall safety score seems to be stuck at 89 because I get dinged for 7% of "hard braking" every time I leave my neighborhood to take the kids to school and later go pick them up. :-/

• Helpful
Reactions: jebinc
I've gotten two FCW penalties, car is set to medium, and never got a screen alert on either. One FCW happened on a short drive where no other cars were near me the entire drive. I think a 3-point turn on a dead end road may have triggered this FCW. Was at 100 when this happened on Sunday. :mad:
Oh that's odd that you didn't get an alert. I always get an alert before I get dinged. This might be a stupid question, but did you check your autopilot settings to make sure it's set to at least medium for FCW for sure? Try setting it to different settings and then back to medium to try to reset it. Maybe you need to reset your car to fix the issue by holding down both scroll wheels?

Oh that's odd that you didn't get an alert. I always get an alert before I get dinged. This might be a stupid question, but did you check your autopilot settings to make sure it's set to at least medium for FCW for sure? Try setting it to different settings and then back to medium to try to reset it. Maybe you need to reset your car to fix the issue by holding down both scroll wheels?
Yes, safety score uses the medium setting. If you have your car set for late, you'll get dinged without being notified.

The Unsafe Following metric is only measured when you are NOT on AP, so it really doesn't matter what you set your following distance to. It is only recording/calculating when you are driving yourself.
OP said cruise control not AP. I was wondering if one can "fix" unsafe following precent by setting cruise control to follow close"ish" (maybe 2 or 3) and then switch quickly to AP if traffic ahead gets dicy and you don't want to worry about hard breaking by cruise control.

Last edited:
Ok, with that said and what others have said, my guess is if you have HW2.0 cameras, no beta access for now. Mid 2017 S here with HW2, MCU2, AP3 and met the criteria on Friday. Logged close to 1200 miles by then with overall 100 score. I can say I was really looking forward to today and ended up disappointed. Congratulations to all of you that made it in!
It's probably of no use, but still, did you send an email to earlyaccess and fsdbeta?
I emailed them the following:

Hello FSD and Early Access team,

can you please clarify if a Model S originally built with AP2.0 (from late 2016 or ealry 2017) and later upgraded (FSD HW3 + MCU2) is eligible to be part of the easrly access FSD Beta?
I am not able to find evidence of such configuration with a safety score of 100 that received 2021.32.25

Thank you in advance.

Thanks for posting. Loved watching as I’m in Minneapolis as well and have a 99, so no FSD beta yet. Keep posting. Maybe minimize music bar to be off screen and swipe away bottom card to create larger visualization for us. Great work!

• Love
Reactions: dburkland