Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Last edited:
Whole point of the safety score (as flawed as it is) is to test that the human's they choose will monitor the system. Also people that don't monitor the system can be easily booted from the beta. Finally if they have that level of concern about having a public beta then they shouldn't be having one at all.
First, that safety score has never been tested - and is more like alpha. So, you have to see what happens on the ground - not assume it will work.

Second, if they are conservative and don't expand the beta - they will be like Waymo. Moping around in Chandler, AZ for 3 years. At some point they have to bite the bullet and expand.

Give some consideration to putting your daily scores and miles in my spreadsheet.
Your calculator was very helpful. Plugged all my numbers in and looks like I’d have to drive another 150 clean miles to get to 99.5 from my current 99.37.

Reactions: n.one.one
Just a suggestion:
  • Make sure you have early warning set to "Early" in your settings. The Safety score FCW is based on a "Medium" setting regardless of the setting you have applied in the car. If you have yours set to Medium or Late then you can get FCWs hitting your score which you never will see in the car because of your setting. You may or may not have enough additional warning to react, but at least you should see the FCWs that are dinging you.
  • Set your Regen to "Low" setting. When set to "Normal" it is possible to get Hard brake events solely from max regen braking. The threshold appears to be somewhere between low regen and full max regen. Trying to drive with low regen only is overly conservative, but at least you shouldn't get HB events.
I set my FCW to early and had an event to trigger the warning, knowing that it was much earlier than the medium warning I have gotten and got a hit on my score. I don't think changing the setting on the car affects if you get a hit on your score, if the warning goes off in the car your safety score goes down.

First, that safety score has never been tested - and is more like alpha. So, you have to see what happens on the ground - not assume it will work.

Second, if they are conservative and don't expand the beta - they will be like Waymo. Moping around in Chandler, AZ for 3 years. At some point they have to bite the bullet and expand.
I'm sure Tesla has tested the Safety Score app enough to know that it does what it says it does. It isn't hard to write a program that monitors the car's sensors and reports if certain actions happen. I'm sure they even know who is "cheating" by resetting their car. Plus all Tesla apps are a beta (even the auto wipers). I had Autopilot on my 2017 model S also and it was in beta then and still is in Beta now.

No reason they can't have a set amount of time or even fleet distance before they roll out the next wave. Not saying to be conservative either. But in this case if they don't trust the beta to be safe with the public testing on the roads where we are also talking about potential loss of lives then it would be reckless to release the beta to the public if they aren't sure the beta is ready to do so.

This is new... anyone notice that the Safety Score now includes a 3-second grace period for disengaging/correcting AP? Specifically, it looks like it was added Oct 7th (this text wasn't present in the Oct 6 copy).

1634065693021.png

Neat that it's evolving, and it's good to not blame the driver for disengaging AP for doing something stupid. Especially useful as FSD tends to be a bit... aggro, fairly often. lol

I set my FCW to early and had an event to trigger the warning, knowing that it was much earlier than the medium warning I have gotten and got a hit on my score. I don't think changing the setting on the car affects if you get a hit on your score, if the warning goes off in the car your safety score goes down.
I had something similar happen to me. I set it to early and reacted quickly when I got cut off, but I still got dinged so I assume I didn't react quick enough so the medium setting would have also been triggered. I didn't know whether or not it was triggered or not for the medium setting and I let the data get uploaded to Tesla. It was marked as an FCW and I had to drive 2 hours in order to bring my score back up to 99 because someone cut me off. Very frustrating. I should have just done the two button reset trick.

Last edited:
I had something similar happen to me. I set it to early and reacted quickly when I got cut off, but I still got dinged so I assume I didn't react quick enough so the medium setting would have also been triggered. I didn't know whether or not it was triggered or not for the medium setting and I let the data get uploaded to Tesla. It was marked as an FCW and I had to drive 2 hours in order to bring my score back up to 99 because someone cut me off. Very frustrating. I should have just do done just two button reset trick.
Actually had a FCW yesterday that was false (I was exiting a expressway and it thought I was going to hit the car that was stopped in the lane). Safety Score didn't ding me which was the right decision but I was also surprised.

This is new... anyone notice that the Safety Score now includes a 3-second grace period for disengaging/correcting AP? Specifically, it looks like it was added Oct 7th (this text wasn't present in the Oct 6 copy).

View attachment 720721

Neat that it's evolving, and it's good to not blame the driver for disengaging AP for doing something stupid. Especially useful as FSD tends to be a bit... aggro, fairly often. lol
That would have prevented these 2 FCWs caused by AP.
The first at 00:30 taking the turn at 15mph can't handle it and when I take over the trash cans cause 1st FCW.
The second at 00:55 it decides to turn to the right and I take over as it flashes the second FCW in less than 2 miles.

My safety score hasn't been updated since 10/5 and I've driven nearly 125 miles. Anything I should do besides continue driving like a grandma and earning 100 score days?

I've force quit the app, logged off/on.

My daily details show history as do my trips. Since 10/8, I've gone 99, 99, 100, 100, 100 but I haven't changed from 97 since 10/5.

I just deleted the row 2 before reading not to delete Columns. Am I OK?

Great job too. Also SUCKS that not only did I miss the Beta by only a few hours I also now know I just missed it by a tiny 0.04 percent.:mad:

View attachment 720722
Absolutely...you can also delete your current row 1 & 2 if you'd like to clean it up a little. Congrats on those great Friday and Saturday drives. Your comment about missing by so little is exactly why I created this sheet during the first few days of the Safety Score. I had to drive 894 miles during the last three days to 'chase the 100' :).

Spreadsheet link:
Tesla Safety Score v7 Generic version for upload

Reactions: JulienW and Ruffles
On the flip side, those of us still waiting to get in can watch ourselves move up on the leaderboards on TeslaFi and Teslascope since the people ahead of us that received the beta and have started using it are no longer at 100 :p. Seriously, I need a life. I don't think my wife will ever let me live this down after the last two weeks of driving like a granny and obsessively adding my miles to an excel sheet and driving over 650 miles to boost my score.

Absolutely...you can also delete your current row 1 & 2 if you'd like to clean it up a little. Congrats on those great Friday and Saturday drives. Your comment about missing by so little is exactly why I created this sheet during the first few days of the Safety Score. I had to drive 894 miles during the last three days to 'chase the 100' :).

Spreadsheet link:
Tesla Safety Score v7 Generic version for upload
While I'm still bummed about missing the Beta at least I feel a little better that I can keep the 100 for a while if I don't screw up too much (if I'm assuming correctly). I'm just not optimistic that the Beta will open to more people anytime soon. Hope I'm SOOOOOO wrong about that.

Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 5.23.30 PM.png

Last edited: