Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those anxsting … I can’t get out of my little housing neighborhood on 10.2 without it trying to kill me driving onto the first slightly busy road, and in most situations it is phantom if breaking on me in the middle of turns, all sorts of random dangerous places … it always tries to put me in the left lane even when I have speed based lane changes on ‘Mild’ …and unlike Nav on AP on highway, it just goes and changes lanes without a signal even at times. Some phantom breaking that had gone away in the version before this that I had - 32.22? which took away some shakiness/lack of confidence of the vision only branch (most on that seemed to be vision only cars..21.3) on plain Nav and Nav on highway autopilot … lack of confidence and phantom breaking on non special functions are now BACK so there is some change I think beta 10.2 could use from the other branch. 10.2 is … pretty terrible in Durham NC, I feel like a sucker spending so much energy on my score to not even get out of my neighborhood without almost dying every time .. I like having the new visuals though.
Wow, super long sentence with no punctuation; very hard to read. Can you post video examples?

red hands/take over does not count against you. The first one could have been FCW after you disengaged autopilot, but I doubt the second.

The main problem was trying to use autopilot on those roads.
I'm totally aware that AP is not intended for these side roads; only poiting out that the 3s grace period would have prevented the FCWs here... both events showed up as FCWs.

Obviously the safety score system is total BS. Really, it's unsafe to brake hard enough to avoid hitting the mailman that just stepped out in front of me, or the car that just cut me off? It's unsafe to pull out into traffic aggressively, versus slowly turning onto the road, with traffic quickly approaching? If anything this stupid game has encouraged me to drive less safe. I'm pretty annoyed with the whole thing. Now give me my f-ing software I paid $8,000 for. WTF.
For the situation where traffic is quickly approaching, you have to wait for a bigger gap than usual. I had an issue where I didn't see a car approaching because they were speeding by a lot (+30 mph). After slowly turning, I floored it and didn't get dinged.

Last edited:
Many software companies operate like this I think? Pre ordering software doesn’t typically confer rights to pre release or unfinished versions. Alternatively, going through the companies’ official process for becoming part of their beta program does. Apple’s and MSFT’s developer programs come to mind.
With respect, Apple doesn't do this:

You buy a computer with OS X, and are told you already paid for OS Z, which is a beta.

3 years pass

OS Z is being released, but first, you need to show you will use OS Z the way they want you to, prior to you getting it. In fact, you will be "tested" before being allowed to receive what you paid for.

Sounds like the goalposts are being moved. Especially when nobody was aware of this requirement, and nobody 100% understood the algorithm to get to a score of 100.

Maybe not the best comparison, this is a car after all, but still. My point is that NO other company operates like this, in this respect. I would have liked more transparency, personally. Then, if I got dinged, at least I would have understood it.

As I previously posted, I went from 100 to mid-60s with one (not at fault) FCW. I think I have one hard braking ding. That's it. I don't drive much, I'm at around 150 miles right now, and my score (all 100s since) is a 98. Had I know to 2-button reset at the time, I'd have the beta, but would that have made me a safer driver than I am today?

You buy a computer with OS X, and are told you already paid for OS Z, which is a beta.

3 years pass

OS Z is being released, but first, you need to show you will use OS Z the way they want you to, prior to you getting it. In fact, you will be "tested" before being allowed to receive what you paid for.

Sounds like the goalposts are being moved. Especially when nobody was aware of this requirement, and nobody 100% understood the algorithm to get to a score of 100.

Maybe not the best comparison, this is a car after all, but still. My point is that NO other company operates like this, in this respect. I would have liked more transparency, personally. Then, if I got dinged, at least I would have understood it.

As I previously posted, I went from 100 to mid-60s with one (not at fault) FCW. I think I have one hard braking ding. That's it. I don't drive much, I'm at around 150 miles right now, and my score (all 100s since) is a 98. Had I know to 2-button reset at the time, I'd have the beta, but would that have made me a safer driver than I am today?
Exactly I'm running ios 15.1 beta on my iphone right now. Anyone can get it.

I still see the safety score in my tesla app. I even forced quit and restarted the app. Have a over all score and my daily score.

Reactions: Ramphex
2018 Model 3, Dual Motor, Long Range, FSD, 2021.32.22, 96K miles

TL/DR - Known issues with AP/NOA and Safety Score.

Sadly Safety Score is seriously flawed. You receive Hard Braking and Following to closely hits when traveling on the highways. Traffic is slowing and stopping, adjacent left and right lanes still moving, NOA set at 6 car lengths fails to slow or brake, hit the brakes to keep from becoming a traffic fatality, anti lock kicks in, sorry hard braking following to closely. Lots of hits; A tractor trailer cuts in, a car in passing lane at night starts drifting into the lane nearly hitting the front of the car, AP/NOA takes off ramp at combat speed, fails to slow, a squirrel runs out in front of the car, mailman over shoots pulling out of blind street, all trigger hard braking and some with following to closely. You see the problem, AP/NOA fails and Safety Score gives you a hit. The Safety Score is just raw data, does not account for the triggering event.

Granted I could game the system and follow the tractor trailer driving manually behind it for next hour, hoping nobody else cuts in, but for what? Yes I could spin the wheel down and slow the car, again the system is failing. It’s broken and the drivers take the hit when it happens. If I manually did this each time I saw a potential hit, then the flaws would never be recorded. Oh look how wonderful our system is... On many of the highways in North East, we have on ramp and off ramp sharing very short same lane, they put a dashed line the length of it, NOA can’t handle it and drops to AP, which won’t cross it, you end up jerking the wheel or hitting the brakes, Hard braking. Now it’s become a running joke when folks are in the car, every time it fails, you hear from your trapped audience Hard Braking, Following to Closely.

Also what happen to the off ramps, it has definitely reverted back, ping ponging across the exit lane at highway speed, wow, it had been improving but now it’s gone backwards. The new crazy braking occurring when multi lane on ramp merges with highway, they have a long run out but out of the clear blue it slams on the brakes. This is really jarring and scary, why the heck is it doing it, you are not even at a merge point yet and they still have a solid line on their side. This one you definitely move to the middle or left lane early to prevent it, otherwise you are going to get one heck of a jolt when it slams brakes at 75mph.

Be safe out there. We’ll be making another >1k mile road trip this weekend, college sports. Can’t wait for all the hits on the highway…. Oh as bad as all this seems, score is still at 97, dropped from 98 after the last > 1k road trip. No I didn't game the system to keep it up, letting it do it's thing.

Big thanks to all you honest beta feedback providers the good and the bad, we get to hear it’s short comings so we can judge the improvements. Thank you for your honesty. I don’t feel like I really missed out on anything yet. Supposedly no improvements to highway???? Again please be safe out there, you are playing with bleeding edge technology and it’s only software, it can only do what’s programmed in it.

3 years pass

And they certainly don’t make you prove you can drive a car without using the breaks. brakes.

(Fixed. Thanks boonedocks)

Last edited:
Thanks for posting. Loved watching as I’m in Minneapolis as well and have a 99, so no FSD beta yet. Keep posting. Maybe minimize music bar to be off screen and swipe away bottom card to create larger visualization for us. Great work!

Glad you enjoyed it! I figured out the music bar thing later on as I kept asking myself why the expanded visuals weren't working haha. I'll try and post a few videos each week especially as updates roll out to see how the functionality improves.

Reactions: 82bert
The journey, game, challenge to get the beta can be rather difficult but it's nice that folks are providing helpful information here. As I think through all of these posts there is one that stood out and really helped me. @Frank99 posted an excellent overview early in the process. It seemed like solid information so I printed it out, kept it in the car, and referred to it quite often. One thing probably needs correction. You can't correct Unsafe Following by following a truck on AP. AP needs to be off and follow a truck/vehicle with a 1 to 3 second gap.

@Frank99 perhaps you could review your content and post it as new for everyone who is working to get in on the next wave. Thanks again for your really helpful information!

Here is a link to the original post (for some reason the text in the thumbnail is from another post. but the link works correctly).
This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you for highlighting!

Reactions: n.one.one
Maybe not the best comparison,
May be compare to Aptera ;)

This is what happened with Nissan Leaf - L3 charging.

When the "first mass produced electric car" was released in '10 Dec, a lot of us got the SL version which included $2k (?) for L3 charging. The chargers were supposed to be installed by Ecotality with the millions in federal grants. But those chargers would never get installed in my area in the next 3 years I had the car. So, I had the "hardware" for L3 - but could never use it because the service wasn't available.

For what it's worth, I drove about 80 miles yesterday, mostly on AP, had 3 idiots doing idiot stuff next to me which caused me to brake hard 3 times. Also had to swerve away from a police car who was "speeding" to get into an accident scene. All disengagements that, with the 3s grace time, kept me at 100%.

Reactions: BCNY and kbM3

3 years pass

Yea and there should be some sort of feedback for when you do and what you do. How can you re-evaluate your driving (especially some people who have been driving for 20+ years) based of some numbers you only get to see at the end of your trip?

On the topic of having rights to the beta: you'll find peace of mind when you understand that Tesla owes you nothing. Early access is not a right, it's a conditional access granted/revoked by them. In my perspective, there's only so much feedback they can take, as well as only as much responsibility they can take with any major change rollout. Everyone here knows the media loves to bash on Tesla, don't you think Tesla knows, too? They're playing it safe, as much as I'd love to be added to the beta - and trust me I'm trying with a close enough 99 score - I understand that I don't have any rights to it and the best I can do is to wait in line and improve my score.

How can I trust this POS? How is this even possible??? Look at the fwd collision warning on a VERY short trip.
Has to be a bug…I have the same fcw number…ugh

Attachments

• 16B6439F-3AA4-4287-90C2-5EFA6F0F34DD.png
    16B6439F-3AA4-4287-90C2-5EFA6F0F34DD.png
    191.3 KB · Views: 58
Reactions: BCNY
On the topic of having rights to the beta: you'll find peace of mind when you understand that Tesla owes you nothing. Early access is not a right, it's a conditional access granted/revoked by them.
So, auto wipers are in beta also. Does Tesla have the "right" to revoke those, and that they owe you nothing?

City Streets Autosteer was advertised as "coming this year" in 2019, 2020, and 2021. You seriously want to argue that Tesla owes you nothing at the end of 2021?

At what point does Tesla owe people something? Can they just call CSA early access for 10 years and claim they owe nobody anything because it's "Early access?" This is a made up term.

Can you point to a place where Tesla reliably calls this "Early access"? As far as I know, Elon is calling this FSD beta, and every single AP feature is in beta, including 2014 AP1, so beta is a meaningless term in terms of limiting access.

So what exactly did you get for $10K if Tesla owes you nothing? Why no refunds if that's true?

Last edited: