Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know, those damn entitled people. They paid money for something, and they actually expect to get it! How do you think the world works?
Kids these days. In my day.....
So, tell me, did you not get anything from the FSD Capability package? My buddy at work with a M3 with just autopilot has no summon, no autopark, no auto lane changes, no stop sign/traffic light recognition, no speed limit recognition (I think? Not sure on this one). He also has no early access to FSD!

Does the Safety Score for previous days change or is it locked?

I have a couple of days where I had a FCW and Unsafe Following. Since both of those are per 1000 miles, does it mean they’ll lower as I drive more (and my score on those days will improve)? Or is it just 1000 miles per day?
Your safety score for the day will stay the same but you overall FCW score will improve as you drive more and don't get anymore FCW's. I also believe the overall score is based on total driving over the past 30 days so as the days roll off that you got the warning that will also help your score.

Reactions: kbM3
So, tell me, did you not get anything from the FSD Capability package? My buddy at work with a M3 with just autopilot has no summon, no autopark, no auto lane changes, no stop sign/traffic light recognition, no speed limit recognition (I think? Not sure on this one). He also has no early access to FSD!
Many of us bought pre-2019 and have EAP, which gives us all of that. The only thing FSD has given us so far is a beep at a stop light.
Meanwhile, we were advertised full L4 driving, and shown videos of cars doing exactly that in 2016.

FYI, Speed limit recognition is part of basic AP and always has been. It takes HW3 to read speed limit signs directly, but is not tied to the SW package you choose.

But yeah, how dare someone that paid $8K in 2016 feel "entitled" to anything from Tesla in 2021?

This depends on when you bought your car. If You bought when Enhanced AutoPilot was available then you really did get screwed (if they don't get autosteer working soon).

FYI, Speed limit recognition is part of basic AP and always has been. It takes HW3 to read speed limit signs directly, but is not tied to the SW package you choose.
Thanks, I didn’t know about that one.

Many of us bought pre-2019 and have EAP, which gives us all of that. The only thing FSD has given us so far is a beep at a stop light.
Honest question, then why did you buy it? Apparently the only deliverable beyond the beep is future developments.

Meanwhile, we were advertised full L4 driving, and shown videos of cars doing exactly that in 2016.

But yeah, how dare someone that paid $8K in 2016 feel "entitled" to anything from Tesla in 2021?

your point is well taken at this point. It seems like you should be directing all this energy toward Tesla instead of a forum full of people who are powerless to make the situation better for you.

But we didn't pay $8k for FSD. At that time IIRC, FSD was $3k and EAP was $5K ?

I Paid some 3K for EAP and 2K for FSD ( Mar '19 sale as Tesla was having a cash crunch).

BTW, stop sign/traffic light recognition (and action) I think is part of FSD, not EAP.

Reactions: ahoen117
Honest question, then why did you buy it? Apparently the only deliverable beyond the beep is future developments.
I can't answer for the other posters, but you have to understand what the climate was like in 2016 when AP 2 was released and the now infamous video. AP1 was already pretty dang good on highways and it only had ONE camera. Imagine what Tesla could do with EIGHT! Plus the original documentation said you would only get access to 4 cameras with EAP and you had to pay up for FSD to get access to all 8 cameras. Well, I wasn't gonna have unused cameras on my car even though I had doubts about FSD, so I bought. Turns out everyone got all the cameras, and I just "should have seen that coming".

But we didn't pay $8k for FSD. At that time IIRC, FSD was $3k and EAP was $5K ?

I Paid some 3K for EAP and 2K for FSD ( Mar '19 sale as Tesla was having a cash crunch).

Right. $8K is the total of $5K for EAP and $3K for FSD, which is the equivalent feature set as today's $10K FSD. Tesla has basically gotten to the promised EAP feature set (that they said would exist in 2017, and took until 2019 to hit).

BTW, stop sign/traffic light recognition (and action) I think is part of FSD, not EAP.
The only thing FSD has given us so far is a beep at a stop light.

I can't answer for the other posters, but you have to understand what the climate was like in 2016 when AP 2 was released and the now infamous video. AP1 was already pretty dang good on highways and it only had ONE camera. Imagine what Tesla could do with EIGHT! Plus the original documentation said you would only get access to 4 cameras with EAP and you had to pay up for FSD to get access to all 8 cameras. Well, I wasn't gonna have unused cameras on my car even though I had doubts about FSD, so I bought. Turns out everyone got all the cameras, and I just "should have seen that coming".
That is very enlightening and getting my car in 2020, I don't know all the details from the past. Thank you for explaining that to me!

In that case I will say that you guys probably have a better argument in case you want out of FSD. I believe a refund is due in exchange for revocation of anything in excess of Enhanced Auto Pilot.

your point is well taken at this point. It seems like you should be directing all this energy toward Tesla instead of a forum full of people who are powerless to make the situation better for you.
The same reason that people breathlessly talk about FSD being a "Game changer" or telling us that we'll be much happier if we just accept that Tesla doesn't owe us anything.

I've had an experience with Tesla that I want to share, and I believe future purchasers should be able to see the good and bad of Tesla. If there were no skeptics here, a possible future buyer would come in here and think that Tesla's autonomy was amazing, shipped, and the greatest thing ever. The only real way for this discussion to find balance is for someone to offer pushback on ridiculous statements like "you'll find peace of mind when you understand that Tesla owes you nothing."

The same reason that people breathlessly talk about FSD being a "Game changer" or telling us that we'll be much happier if we just accept that Tesla doesn't owe us anything.

I've had an experience with Tesla that I want to share, and I believe future purchasers should be able to see the good and bad of Tesla. If there were no skeptics here, a possible future buyer would come in here and think that Tesla's autonomy was amazing, shipped, and the greatest thing ever. The only real way for this discussion to find balance is for someone to offer pushback on ridiculous statements like "you'll find peace of mind when you understand that Tesla owes you nothing."
Are you sure you are not distorting my words? I've already hinted to you that we're talking about the Early Access Program to the Beta release. I would appreciate it if you could stop distorting my words to fit your perceived reality.

BONUS: My viewpoint is NEGATIVE, saying that is a way to cope with the constant delays and broken timelines Elon states.

Thanks, I didn’t know about that one.

I don’t know about the poster of this comment about EAP/AP, but I can say from my perspective, it was the hype and promise that it was really “coming soon”. I bought EAP outright, to get basically the TACC and some other features - some of which were not delivered at the time. I did not buy the AP FSD at the time (June 2018) since I figured it was a bit out there and I could make a better return on the $$. Fast forward to Feb/Mar 2019, and it was “coming by the end of the year” and one could buy it not at a discount (this was was TSLA needed $$ flow and didn’t want to float too much debt or equity) so for either 2K or 3K I figured, I’ll buy into the bleeding edge. Figuring, by EOY 2019, it was going to be ROUGH but I’d work with it, send feedback, use it most likely MORE than 80% of Tesla drivers, etc. then, 2019 passed. Then 2020 passed, always the same “right around the corner”. ”going into limited early adopter testing soon”. Etc. We’ve all seen the tweets and the comments in quarterly calls, etc.

Now, we’re coming up on EOY 2021. I’m hopeful, but doubtful that I (underscore I) will see it by the holiday driving seasons, but we’ll see.

While I may buy another Tesla in the next 12-24 months, I almost certainly won’t buy the FSD package at this point. I’d rather pay 20% later, or use It as a subscription (which honestly is far more economical for most) than park 10k+ in while not vaporware, certainly not anything for general release anytime soon.

Side note, funnish story. Back in Jan 2019, I made a bet with my good friend (another trip9) that in “five years” so Jan 2024, I would be able to drive my relatively new 2018 M3 to SFO, take out my bags at departures, and SEND IT HOME. then, while on my return approach, I could call for the car to meet us at the Arrivals level, and send location and ETA information to my phone while we were walking from the gate. Get in the car and drive it home. Or heck, even let IT drive US home. that was a five year bet, we bet a $ - which is the maximum commitment we can do.

I always caveated the ability with a lot of regulatory approvals and conditions, but said that I felt the technology and capability WOULD BE THERE.

At this point, I’m not SO sure. I think it’s getting there, but it’s like the old 80/20 rule. It can take 20% of the time to get 80% of the way, but then it can take 80% of the time to get the last 20%, and the last 5% (Which is necessary for this type of end to end solution) might well, take A WHILE.

Last edited:
I don’t know about the poster of this comment about EAP/AP, but I can say from my perspective, it was the hype and promise that it was really “coming soon”. I bought EAP outright, to get basically the TACC and some other features - some of which were not delivered at the time. I did not buy the AP FSD at the time (June 2018) since I figured it was a bit out there and I could make a better return on the $$. Fast forward to Feb/Mar 2019, and it was “coming by the end of the year” and one could buy it not at a discount (this was was TSLA needed $$ flow and didn’t want to float too much debt or equity) so for either 2K or 3K I figured, I’ll buy into the bleeding edge. Figuring, by EOY 2019, it was going to be ROUGH but I’d work with it, send feedback, use it most likely MORE than 80% of Tesla drivers, etc. then, 2019 passed. Then 2020 passed, always the same “right around the corner”. ”going into limited early adopter testing soon”. Etc. We’ve all seen the tweets and the comments in quarterly calls, etc.

Now, we’re coming up on EOY 2021. I’m hopeful, but doubtful that I (underscore I) will see it by the holiday driving seasons, but we’ll see.

While I may buy another Tesla in the next 12-24 months, I almost certainly won’t buy the FSD package at this point. I’d rather pay 20% later, or use It as a subscription (which honestly is far more economical for most) than park 10k+ in while not vaporware, certainly not anything for general release anytime soon.
I appreciate your insight on the specifics. One point that I would like to make though is that I bought FSD before it was available as a subscription and I would stand by it even if I bought after. 10K in 50 months = $200/month. It pays itself off in 4 years (and a change).

On the functionality side, I think every person could have a different feeling and the one thing that's common is: Elon's promises are almost always late.

Don't get me wrong. I fully support you sharing your viewpoint. I like to hear all sorts of viewpoints so I don't get stuck in a bubble.

But you actually have a grievance, while those who claim "game changer" don't. It just feels inefficient on your part to spend your energy countering the "game changer" people instead of directing your grievance at the source: Tesla.

Reactions: GWord
I appreciate your insight on the specifics. One point that I would like to make though is that I bought FSD before it was available as a subscription and I would stand by it even if I bought after. 10K in 50 months = $200/month. It pays itself off in 4 years (and a change).

On the functionality side, I think every person could have a different feeling and the one thing that's common is: Elon's promises are almost always late.
Well, that might work now, but frankly it hasn’t done really ANYTHING in the first 40 months, so prior purchasers returns analysis will be different. Sort of a FIFO model. Granted, I know people who have 3-4 Tesla’s, and they have bought FULL FSD on them all which for them has been just at total and complete waste of money for the past 5-6 years. So, there is annoyed and then there is PISSED.

Around here, it’s not hard to find that owner at all since well every driveway HAS to have a Cayenne AND a Tesla.

We’re in partial agreement here, but just as an exercise can you name a couple of Elon’s promised that have actually BEEN on time? I’ll even make it easier, maybe just one solid one?

Reactions: Ramphex