Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been searching around for this, but don't have time to read 150 pages of philosophical questions of fairness, fsd promises, etc ;)

I understand the factors as Tesla describes them. What I want to know is how these are applied over time (link a clear post?)

* Is the current score the straight average of all daily scores, or weighted towards miles driven? (100x50mi + 90x10mi, etc)

* Do the aggragate percentages go beyond a single dayy? (eg, FCW/1000, soft braking vs hard braking ... does they reset every day?)

Put clearly, can I do 200 miles one day with 100 to up my overall score, or is only good for that day? Even if there's a weight average, does 100 braking miles help that particular aggregate average?
Download n.one.one spreed sheet and it will answer about any theoretical question you want.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Been searching around for this, but don't have time to read 150 pages of philosophical questions of fairness, fsd promises, kibitzing about score highs and lows, etc ;)

I understand the factors as Tesla describes them. What I want to know is how these are applied over time (link a clear post?)

* Is the current score the straight average of all daily scores, or weighted towards miles driven? (100x50mi + 90x10mi, etc)

* Do the aggragate percentages go beyond a single day? (eg, FCW/1000, soft braking vs hard braking ... do they reset every day?)

Put clearly, can I do 200 miles one day with 100 to up my overall score, or is only good for that day? Even if there's a weight average, does 100 braking miles help that particular aggregate percentage?
The overall score is the rounded value of the mileage-weighted average of the rounded individual daily scores.

Individual daily scores are based on the aggregate % for that day (not the weighted average of individual trips).

The aggregate % are tabulated on the main page but they have no direct impact on your score. You can have AWFUL results here in theory (in the % categories), and still have a score of 100.

will focus on improving my daily score by giving my car more slow brakes today.

That's the right strategy. Get hard braking below about 0.25% or so to get a score of 100 (I think it might be 0.27% but I can't remember exactly).

I got my first >0% unsafe following score yesterday. It was 19.4%. I still got a 100% score for the day. I don't get it. Other much smaller percentages for hard breaking and aggressive turning have knocked down my daily scores on previous days.

Got my score back to 90. Haven't driven my Tesla in a month been off grid, and I arrive to these shenanigans. A test to see if I am a good driver. I haven't managed to crash my car in 180k miles. Back to the E-bike till they release it to that group. It's getting cold however.

Wife is kicking my behind. So is my kid with his learning permit.

So aggregate factors mean nothing, yes? Why even show them?

Nothing directly. In reality they show how safe you are overall, I suppose, since they still represent the true rates & % you have achieved in the various metrics overall. They just aren't used directly in the score. The level of your individual aggregate metrics will be reasonably well correlated with your score (better correlated for some than for others, depending on factors like the homogeneity of individual driving patterns), but they do not directly affect it.

As mentioned, understanding how this works is part of the test.

Is that a username? Google showed nothing.
Here's the link. I recommend putting together your own spreadsheet to understand it though. One issue (which is documented in this spreadsheet) is that you should really enter your daily scores from the app rather than allowing this spreadsheet to calculate them. This is because the rounded values of the factors in the app occasionally result in a calculated daily score which does not exactly match your daily score that Tesla has calculated (because they use unrounded values internally which are not visible - typically it would be the error on your hard braking score that would cause such an error). So, you should enter your daily mileages and scores into two columns, calculate the weighted average, and then you can use the formulas provided in this spreadsheet to calculate mileage targets if you wish.

If you don't do this, you'll occasionally find that your score does not step up exactly as expected (because you're using the wrong score for one of your days).

Last edited:
Reactions: n.one.one
Nevermind I found it. Not sure why we can't just add daily score + miles driven if it's really a weighted aggregate of daily score-miles.

I found this one, which seems to use this approach ...

Yes, the mileage-weighted calculation of the overall score is very simple. And also calculating the target mileage needed to get 100 is pretty simple. But this spreadsheet provides information on progression of your score over time, etc., and allows you to put in scenarios if you wish.

Everyone has their own preferences.

Nevermind I found it. Not sure why we can't just add daily score + miles driven if it's really a weighted aggregate of daily score-miles.

I found this one, which seems to use this approach ...

Looke here This is the best one.

Reactions: n.one.one
The aggregate % are tabulated on the main page but they have no direct impact on your score. You can have AWFUL results here in theory (in the % categories), and still have a score of 100.
Or you can have EXCELLENT aggregate % results but stuck with a 99 :(

All because of 1 tap on the brake on a day I drove 149 miles, back when I didn't know that I could have so easily fixed it with some moderate regen... now requiring 400 miles to fix... apparently my braking was way too gentle the rest of the trip...
But so far none of this would matter anyway since I am one of those AP2 people...

Attachments

• IMG_5039.PNG
    IMG_5039.PNG
    239.9 KB · Views: 60
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Tesla should announce whether they will use the snapshot as of last Friday or take a new snapshot next Friday.
Do wonder how they will handle it. If they use last Friday then anyone that opted in last Friday or later would probably have to wait. Would be nice to know how they are going to pick the next group. Expecting my score to still be 99 but will people that get to 100 be taken first and then I'm pushed to the next batch...

Reactions: GargantulaKon
Tesla should announce whether they will use the snapshot as of last Friday or take a new snapshot next Friday.
They must have took a snapshot VERY early this morning, last night or yesterday afternoon for us that got it this morning. So I would say they will take another and not use older data. But with Tesla YOU NEVER KNOW for sure unless Elon happens to Tweet it and it happens to happen similar to the Tweet.o_O

Do we know if the score is based on a 30-day rolling window? I downloaded the first day and went for a long (and what I thought careful) drive and scored and 86. Every day after that has been 100, but it's hard to average up that first score. I'm hoping it drops on the 25th (if the score is a rolling 30 da y and not lifetime).

Do we know if the score is based on a 30-day rolling window? I downloaded the first day and went for a long (and what I thought careful) drive and scored and 86. Every day after that has been 100, but it's hard to average up that first score. I'm hoping it drops on the 25th (if the score is a rolling 30 da y and not lifetime).
Everything I've seen seems to indicate it is a 30 rolling average. But you know Tesla, so that could change at any time without notice.

You aren't the only one with a bad first day that has been working every day since to correct. ;)