Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After almost 2000 miles, I bumped my score up to 100! No useless driving, but I did have a road trip planned. 100 on the way there (about 600 miles) and on my first leg back I had 96 because I had to brake hard once. Did the accelerate/regen thing for 30-40 minutes maybe and that was enough to bump it to 100 on my 3rd (of 4) legs. Now Teslafi has me ranked as #4 nationwide! Can't wait for Friday and can't be too careful now!

1634572540556.png

Interesting, does not work for me in the 2021 MSLR. I’ve driven around a bunch trying to dilute the hard braking with regen when I was out and about, maybe like two weeks ago, and nothing. That’s when I figured out the speed up to over 70 then light hold the pedal (just enough for brake lights to come on) and it worked like a charm for me.

What car do you have?

Could definitely relate to the AP braking. If AP had a safety score that sugar would be under 50 daily just for the braking part 😅😅
I have a 3 LR/DM. I've learned to correct the hard braking demerit, still using regen, by SLOWLY taking my foot off the accelerator. I still never use the brake pedal, but as long as you don't take your foot off the accelerator too quickly it won't generate the g-forces that trigger the ding.

Several times yesterday while on AP (and the car careening toward stopped traffic), I did disengage AP by hitting the brake pedal - mostly to keep my wife from digging her nails into the upholstery. I didn't get dinged because you get a 3-second grace period after AP is disengaged. Per Tesla's website:
"Driving on Autopilot (including 3 seconds after Autopilot is disengaged) will not be factored into the Safety Score formula".

Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 11.49.09 AM.png

helllo everyone, I am new here. Ive been reading this forum for over a week now. I have a unique situation i think. We have valet parking where i live. I did not realize the valet was hard breaking and ding my score twice a day until later. I didn't have the app(android) for a week. I had 94 on day one and i didn't drive for 5 days(out of town). I had an FCW on the next day. It lowered the daily score to 72 and overall to 92. I brought the score back to 98 just by regen braking.Did not do any auto pilot.I live in one of the highrises in financial district DTLA. So you know how bad the traffic is here. I never touch the brake pedal normally when driving anyways so it helped i guess. I think i did 150 miles spread over 15 days. On this saturday I did a trip to joshua tree national park mostly on autopilot and my score went to 99 when i exited the park. No cell signal in the park. So the following are my observations
1. bringing down the hard braking score has the biggest impact because the multiplication factor is a bigger number here than unsafe following.

2. It doesnt matter whether you brake or use regen or drag your feet on the pavement to stop the car as long as it did not reduce the speed more than 6 miles an hour, you are good.

3. If you already added so many miles on the freeway, this process is going to be slower because your mistakes are weighted (Its a weighted average).

The decision i have to make now is , should i give the car to the valet and risk an FCW ?

helllo everyone, I am new here. Ive been reading this forum for over a week now. I have a unique situation i think. We have valet parking where i live. I did not realize the valet was hard breaking and ding my score twice a day until later. I didn't have the app(android) for a week. I had 94 on day one and i didn't drive for 5 days(out of town). I had an FCW on the next day. It lowered the daily score to 72 and overall to 92. I brought the score back to 98 just by regen braking.Did not do any auto pilot.I live in one of the highrises in financial district DTLA. So you know how bad the traffic is here. I never touch the brake pedal normally when driving anyways so it helped i guess. I think i did 150 miles spread over 15 days. On this saturday I did a trip to joshua tree national park mostly on autopilot and my score went to 99 when i exited the park. No cell signal in the park. So the following are my observations
1. bringing down the hard braking score has the biggest impact because the multiplication factor is a bigger number here than unsafe following.

2. It doesnt matter whether you brake or use regen or drag your feet on the pavement to stop the car as long as it did not reduce the speed more than 6 miles an hour, you are good.

3. If you already added so many miles on the freeway, this process is going to be slower because your mistakes are weighted (Its a weighted average).

The decision i have to make now is , should i give the car to the valet and risk an FCW ?

If you finally have 99 I’d say don’t let *anyone* touch that car until beta has been loaded and drive as little in DTLA as possible haha.

Alert - Spreadsheet updated to v9!
For those who have used my spreadsheet please consider going to the link, making a copy, and re-entering your events/miles. Something got corrupted and two users reported problems this morning. The new v9 should be good to go.

For those that are seeing this for the first time here is my previous text on this:
Good luck to those with scores that are within striking distance of 99 or 100 who are hoping they can get there before the release of 10.3 (hopefully this Friday night).
The time to plan your score strategy is now when you still have time to do some driving to raise your score. If you'd like to plan how many miles you need to drive consider using my spreadsheet (or other similar sheets) for your driving strategy. It helped me and I've gotten a lot of feedback that it's been helpful to others. If you need help with how to drive for a good score there are a lot of folks here ready and willing to help...just ask.
There are full instructions there as shown on the screenshot below the link. Good luck and good driving.

Spreadsheet link:

1634574201298.png

Last edited:

Don’t valet it, not worth the risk if you want to keep your score.

I have a 3 LR/DM. I've learned to correct the hard braking demerit, still using regen, by SLOWLY taking my foot off the accelerator. I still never use the brake pedal, but as long as you don't take your foot off the accelerator too quickly it won't generate the g-forces that trigger the ding.

Several times yesterday while on AP (and the car careening toward stopped traffic), I did disengage AP by hitting the brake pedal - mostly to keep my wife from digging her nails into the upholstery. I didn't get dinged because you get a 3-second grace period after AP is disengaged. Per Tesla's website:
"Driving on Autopilot (including 3 seconds after Autopilot is disengaged) will not be factored into the Safety Score formula".

View attachment 722921
Interesting, I slowly take my foot off the accelerator too, to prevent hard braking strikes, although I could never dilute the strikes with just regen. On the refresh it’s not adjustable so it’s pretty aggressive and stops relatively quick, maybe it’s just not enough time? Also my brake lights don’t come on after letting go of the accelerator until a couple of seconds later.

If you finally have 99 I’d say don’t let *anyone* touch that car until beta has been loaded and drive as little in DTLA as possible haha.
Don’t valet it, not worth the risk if you want to keep your score.

I am going to take your advice and going to park the car at a friends workplace parking until Saturday. Hopefully they wont tow my car lol.

I am going to take your advice and going to park the car at a friends workplace parking until Saturday. Hopefully they wont tow my car lol.
Not sure how long a drive the valet takes with your car, but drives have to be at least 1/10th of a mile to count toward your safety. But a FCW in a one mile drive would give you a whopping 1000 FCW ding.

Honestly, if I had a 99, I'd put the car in the garage, station an armed guard by it and ride my bike anywhere I needed to go. I made the mistake yesterday of trying to fight my way from 97 to 99 (I needed 240 unblemished miles) and wound up getting a 94 and 96 driving though Philly traffic. It didn't lower my 97, but now I need 398 perfect miles to get to 99.

as long as it did not reduce the speed more than 6 miles an hour, you are good.

There's a lot of discussion about this here. I'd say the evidence suggests that if you're on a steep uphill, a much more rapid reduction in speed is allowed. Similarly, on a downhill, you are not allowed to decelerate that quickly.

In my personal experience, I've never once gotten hard braking from completely releasing the accelerator, even on a hill (uphill or downhill).

And I've had some extremely rapid stops, completely releasing the accelerator rapidly, on steep uphills, never got a hit. I never even worry about slowing down when I'm going uphill, or jerking my foot off the accelerator.

The reason discussed here for this difference between uphill/downhill is that the vehicle is using the accelerometer in the vehicle to measure the forces. And that would be more forgiving on an uphill than a downhill (as it should be, since the tires have to work a lot harder on a downhill for the same rate of wheel speed reduction).

Last edited:
Not sure how long a drive the valet takes with your car, but drives have to be at least 1/10th of a mile to count toward your safety. But a FCW in a one mile drive would give you a whopping 1000 FCW ding.

Honestly, if I had a 99, I'd put the car in the garage, station an armed guard by it and ride my bike anywhere I needed to go. I made the mistake yesterday of trying to fight my way from 97 to 99 (I needed 240 unblemished miles) and wound up getting a 94 and 96 driving though Philly traffic. It didn't lower my 97, but now I need 398 perfect miles to get to 99.
The valet drives the car about 300 meters one way. The car is in valet mode but i dont understand why is it coming up in my driver profile. 398 miles in philly traffic sucks big time. I used to drive to philly when i was living in nyc. I hated it every single time. All i can say is good luck .

Reactions: Ramphex
There's a lot of discussion about this here. I'd say the evidence suggests that if you're on a steep uphill, a much more rapid reduction in speed is allowed. Similarly, on a downhill, you are not allowed to decelerate that quickly.

In my personal experience, I've never once gotten hard braking from completely releasing the accelerator, even on a hill (uphill or downhill).

And I've had some extremely rapid stops, completely releasing the accelerator rapidly, on steep uphills, never got a hit. I never even worry about slowing down when I'm going uphill, or jerking my foot off the accelerator.

The reason discussed here for this difference between uphill/downhill is that the vehicle is using the accelerometer in the vehicle to measure the forces. And that would be more forgiving on an uphill than a downhill (as it should be, since the tires have to work a lot harder on a downhill for the same rate of wheel speed reduction).
exactly ! completely agree.

The car is in valet mode but i dont understand why is it coming up in my driver profile.
Remember that what's being evaluated is the risk around your car, not you as a driver. Living is the suburban Philly area, I got dinged a few times by deer. Braking hard was the right thing to do and I did it to avoid an accident, but the existence of deer increase the likelihood of an accident and this is what they try to capture.

Remember that what's being evaluated is the risk around your car, not you as a driver. Living is the suburban Philly area, I got dinged a few times by deer. Braking hard was the right thing to do and I did it to avoid an accident, but the existence of deer increase the likelihood of an accident and this is what they try to capture.
it makes sense . So they are ""Insuring"" the risk probability of the car !

Reactions: helvio
Sorry if this has been asked already but if Elon said that they are only looking at the first 7 days of data after pressing the button, does it even matter if you drive for 3 extra weeks to raise your score? It will be what it was after 7 days right?
This is the big question is when will they use the deta from. I heave heard on this forum of people that raised their scores to 100 over the first launch weekend and got the beta. It is anyone's guess right now which data they will use so to be on the safe side I would try to keep your score at 99 or above

Reactions: ABC2D and n.one.one
Sorry if this has been asked already but if Elon said that they are only looking at the first 7 days of data after pressing the button, does it even matter if you drive for 3 extra weeks to raise your score? It will be what it was after 7 days right?
All indications are that Tesla is looking at all the data. Elon's tweet did not say they were only looking at 7 days.

Didn’t know if it would ding me or if AP was on when it happened, but I didn’t want to risk it so I did scroll wheel reset to delete the drive. Sucks as it was a waste of two hours. Drove another 200 miles today and still need 493 before Friday. Really can’t wait until Friday so I won’t have to do this anymore lol, it’s getting a little ridiculous.

A little ridiculous? This is f'n insanity.

I had a perfect 100 until shortly before v10.2 rolled out. Then, just a few days ago, I lost my 99. Now, apparently I have to drive 86 perfect miles to get it back. Here I go, on to a Maryland toll road that is lighter traffic than the beltway. I'm actually paying money to travel on a toll road in an effort to improve my score. I'm really quite ashamed of myself, but I can't help it. I won't dare tell my wife what I'm actually doing.