Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried, and for the reasons you stated, as well as narrow streets, kids running from between cars, hard braking and FCWs are impossible to avoid. I got 68 FCWs on a 10 minute drive to get a sandwich, and I heard one warning, not 68. I made a service appointment and requested that they fix my audible warning. Tesla cancelled the appointment, and said it's BETA. NHTSA would be proud (?)

My score is 96, but most days are 100 percent. I'm not going to drive 500 miles on autopilot to fix it, but I like the opt out, then back in, and time it with some freeway trips on autopilot, as well as driving certain routes that have less "activity." I think if you drive in the SF Bay Area during the day, safely, you will get cut off, unsafe following, hard braking (brakes can save lives) and you know the rest. I hate driving like grandma more than any enjoyment FSD would give me. Actually opting out tonight might be the right time. For all we know, Tesla started evaluating us months ago. Who knows. I'll get FSD eventually. I need to read on for the best way to "opt out." I'd probably turn off data sharing at the same time.
FCW is reported as FCW per 1000 miles.

If you get one FCW and only drive 10 miles, then your FCW score is reported as 100 because 1x1000/10=100.

To reduce your daily score of FCW you need more miles driven that day without incurring any additional FCW. That will make the denominator bigger and lower the FCW rate per 1000 miles.

FCWs are difficult to mitigate, and have a lot of influence on your daily score.

I am going to take your advice and going to park the car at a friends workplace parking until Saturday. Hopefully they wont tow my car lol.
You are not gonna believe what happened yesterday ! I got my car back from the valet yesterday so that I can park it safely away from the valet until saturday . The valet got me an FCW and hard braking event again. Both the scores are now in red and my 99 score i got from the joshua tree trip went back to 98 again. I thought about giving up because i built that score back from 92 to 98 by manually driving in DTLA traffic. But i have already invested so much by driving to joshua tree this weekend to get the score from 98 to 99. So I called sick, jumped in the car drove to joshua tree again came back just now with the score back to 99. The ranger at the JT visitor center recognized me and said " You came back after a day ! You love this place huh ? " . I dont know whether he saw my Tesla or heard about the very strange things Tesla owners are doing these days. The things i do for a "Beta version" of a software !!!

p.s: Car is now safely parked away from valet.

I tried, and for the reasons you stated, as well as narrow streets, kids running from between cars, hard braking and FCWs are impossible to avoid. I got 68 FCWs on a 10 minute drive to get a sandwich, and I heard one warning, not 68. I made a service appointment and requested that they fix my audible warning. Tesla cancelled the appointment, and said it's BETA. NHTSA would be proud (?)

My score is 96, but most days are 100 percent. I'm not going to drive 500 miles on autopilot to fix it, but I like the opt out, then back in, and time it with some freeway trips on autopilot, as well as driving certain routes that have less "activity." I think if you drive in the SF Bay Area during the day, safely, you will get cut off, unsafe following, hard braking (brakes can save lives) and you know the rest. I hate driving like grandma more than any enjoyment FSD would give me. Actually opting out tonight might be the right time. For all we know, Tesla started evaluating us months ago. Who knows. I'll get FSD eventually. I need to read on for the best way to "opt out." I'd probably turn off data sharing at the same time.
Might be that your score of 68 was the 'rate per 1,000 miles'? i.e. if you get one FCW on a 10 mile drive, your rate of FCW per 1000 miles would be 100 per 1000 miles.

You would only get a score of 100 for that particular drive of course. Your total average score would be 1 if you drove 1,000 miles across all your drives.

I got one FCW, but it made my score 88 for that day as an example. Because I didn't drive many miles that day.

If you get one FCW and only drive 10 miles, then your FCW score is reported as 100 because 1x1000/10=100.

To reduce your daily score of FCW you need more miles driven that day without incurring any additional FCW. That will make the denominator bigger and lower the FCW rate per 1000 miles.

FCWs are difficult to mitigate, and have a lot of influence on your daily score.

And here are the calculations/plot to figure out the optimal mileage. You can modify the plot limits to find the locally “best” daily mileage.

Calculations

Here it is zoomed in to 20 to 70 miles, probably fairly typical mileage. You just have to be careful not to leave your daily mileage at the top of a “cliff”! The score rounding really makes things crazy.

As outlined in the original post, the y-axis is total miles, including prior miles and the FCW day miles, and assumes all those other miles are perfect. If you have other detrimental miles, the total required to get back to 100 of course goes up, potentially very significantly.

Last edited:
Reactions: FloridaJohn
Set your FCW warnings to medium. That's the seting the Safety Score uses for FCWs.

Reactions: Eugene Ash
On this topic I know the performance models have a g-force sensor in the track mode. Has anyone tried using this. I know you aren't supposed to run track mode on normal streets...
I wasn't the first, but I did try it out. You lose (TA)CC while in Track Mode, which made it annoying enough for me. So I tried to calibrate myself a bit using Track Mode and then turned it back off.

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life

Thanks, but I know, and I'm not logging tons of miles, but it doesn't help when Tesla refuses to fix the audible warning because it's a beta feature. I had no idea I was getting them. The one that I heard was when someone that was parked opened a car door as I drove by with plenty of room. I set it to early, but it's measured based on medium from what I hear. I also got hard braking, following a large truck around a 30mph narrow turn, merging into a 50 mph zone. He sped up, then hit the brakes hard since the traffic in from of him was stopped. Of course I braked hard, but stopped well behind him. Wha Wha. Most of this was in the first few days, mostly 100s ever since.

Just got the email about 20 minutes ago and the alert to download the update. Hit 100 yesterday, dropped back to 99 briefly this AM and back up to 100 this afternoon.
Maybe Tesla has added a way of each car to auto report when it reaches 100 rather than taking a fleet snapshot. This could possibly be bad news (at least for now) to people with a lower score like 99. Tesla could have decided that for now you need to work up to a 100 before being auto enrolled.

Or Tesla could change the bar to 99 as early as Friday or......this being Tesla who knows since it could all change this afternoon.

Thanks, but I know, and I'm not logging tons of miles, but it doesn't help when Tesla refuses to fix the audible warning because it's a beta feature. I had no idea I was getting them. The one that I heard was when someone that was parked opened a car door as I drove by with plenty of room. I set it to early, but it's measured based on medium from what I hear. I also got hard braking, following a large truck around a 30mph narrow turn, merging into a 50 mph zone. He sped up, then hit the brakes hard since the traffic in from of him was stopped. Of course I braked hard, but stopped well behind him. Wha Wha. Most of this was in the first few days, mostly 100s ever since.
Remember that at 30 days, you start dropping daily entries in the calculations. That could be as early as next week, depending on when you pushed the button. I know lots of people have a couple of bad days right at the beginning as they were figuring how things worked, so once the first few days drop out, you may see a improvement in your score.