Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This entire Safety Score process really annoys me! I bought my second Model S last November and paid for FSD. This has got to be the most wasteful expense of my lifetime, at least to this point.

I should have read more about how the Safety Score was actually calculated before opting in. Didn't realize that regenerative breaking has been dinging me all along, until discovering this thread yesterday. I shouldn't have to spends hours studying how to pass an arbitrary test, so that I can get something that I already paid for! Nevermind the fact that regenerative breaking is actually a feature of the vehicle, and I am now being penalized for using it! Give me back the setting where I could opt for lesser regenerative breaking if your going to ding me for using it.

Not sure whether I'm better off opting out and then opting back in, or sticking with my 98 (actually 97.9 according to the spreadsheet that n.one.one uploaded) and waiting for them to start distributing FSD Beta to folks at this level...

All I can say is that Tesla is gradually converting me from a fan-boy into someone that has often Googled "Tesla FSD class action lawsuit", or hopes for a better alternative for my next car purchase.

Totally agree with what has been said here. Been saying the whole time this whole rollout should have been planned better by Tesla. First it was 7 days of driving, then it became 2 weeks. Then they were going to roll it to groups of 1k daily now they are adding safety scores every 2 weeks. Now people can opt out and back in and get 100 for a couple of days and get the beta. The big question is will those of us with a 99 that have been doing this since the beginning (and have logged over 1500 miles also) get it this weekend as we were told. I'm pretty sure it is much harder to log 1500miles at a 99 then to get a 100 score with 100 miles.

Totally agree with what has been said here. Been saying the whole time this whole rollout should have been planned better by Tesla. First it was 7 days of driving, then it became 2 weeks. Then they were going to roll it to groups of 1k daily now they are adding safety scores every 2 weeks. Now people can opt out and back in and get 100 for a couple of days and get the beta. The big question is will those of us with a 99 that have been doing this since the beginning (and have logged over 1500 miles also) get it this weekend as we were told. I'm pretty sure it is much harder to log 1500miles at a 99 then to get a 100 score with 100 miles.
It would be just my luck that the moment I opt out and then back in, Tesla is going to move the goal posts and require a full month of driving history! Going to opt out right now.

It would be just my luck that the moment I opt out and then back in, Tesla is going to move the goal posts and require a full month of driving history! Going to opt out right now.
Yeah, I think Tesla is going to change it once they realize this if it's true it works. Maybe somebody from Tesla is lurking here. I'm going to wait until Saturday morning with my 99 (hard work) to see if I get it or not. If not, I might join the people doing this trick.

Last edited:
Ya if you aren't going to be able to get a 99 by tomorrow night I would try the opt out and back in trick. I'm at 99 and would have to drive quite a bit to get to 100 so I'm going to hold on and see what he does this weekend. Other question I have is what score is need to stay in the beta. I know they are using it to drop people as well.

Edit: Frustrating because I would easily get to 100miles of driving in 2 days also...

Reactions: Tpstulane
IMG_3360.PNG

OK, here’s what to do, all in one post:

1. Opt Out of FSD beta. (Your car, under the Autopilot:Safety Score tab)

2. Wait until your current score no longer shows up in the Phone app. That may take an hour or more.

3. Opt IN to FSD beta.

4. Wait until the Safety Score report in the app shows “Nothing to see, waiting for your first drive” or something like that. Until then you won’t even see anything about Safe Driving in the app. Might take another hour or so.

5. Cross your fingers and drive with Autopilot over 100 miles on a freeway.

Be careful merging or exiting the freeway. A lot of people get dinged with Unsafe Following doing that. While on the freeway, follow a truck at a safe distance while driving manually for several miles. This will soften the blow if you get hit with Unsafe Following.

Yea some questions before doing the opt in / out. What version of the app were they on? Is the data stored in the app or the car? How long do you wait after opting out?

But maybe the more important question is - even though the system is flawed, is it ethical to do this procedure (this is really up to you). The way I think about it is
1) Tesla is playing a legal game right now. They want to show that there is a method of choosing qualified testers that have been trained on what to be prepared for in the beta. And that there is incremental learning happening that increases safety each time
2) Do I play that game? Or just try to do everything by the rules? ie does opting out and opting in erase what I know to be my own bad driving or not anticipating the actions of others? Or is it me understanding the protocol better now, learning, and being better in the next 100 miles.
3) Tesla is dealing with volumes - and really can’t address every individual nuance in a beta of betas. So they could be totally fine with the games being played understanding it’s their own fault and are learning from those games.

I will admit safety score has shown me where I can improve my driving and be more alert. I also think I can and will do better if I opt out and back in. Not necessarily as a better driver, but knowing what’s expected in the scoring. I also think it’s crazy unfair and flawed for everyone that earned the mileage and never had the dings that I did even if most of mine were false. But as far as unfair things in the world go this is pretty low on the totem pole.

Anyway. I submit these to the court of Tesla.

Yea some questions before doing the opt in / out. What version of the app were they on? Is the data stored in the app or the car? How long do you wait after opting out?

But maybe the more important question is - even though the system is flawed, is it ethical to do this procedure (this is really up to you). The way I think about it is
1) Tesla is playing a legal game right now. They want to show that there is a method of choosing qualified testers that have been trained on what to be prepared for in the beta. And that there is incremental learning happening that increases safety each time
2) Do I play that game? Or just try to do everything by the rules? ie does opting out and opting in erase what I know to be my own bad driving or not anticipating the actions of others? Or is it me understanding the protocol better now, learning, and being better in the next 100 miles.
3) Tesla is dealing with volumes - and really can’t address every individual nuance in a beta of betas. So they could be totally fine with the games being played understanding it’s their own fault and are learning from those games.

I will admit safety score has shown me where I can improve my driving and be more alert. I also think I can and will do better if I opt out and back in. Not necessarily as a better driver, but knowing what’s expected in the scoring. I also think it’s crazy unfair and flawed for everyone that earned the mileage and never had the dings that I did even if most of mine were false. But as far as unfair things in the world go this is pretty low on the totem pole.

Anyway. I submit these to the court of Tesla.
I don't feel a bit guilty for gaming the system after a couple of unwarranted collision alarms. I feel like I put my score back to 100 where it should have been had those bogus alarms not occurred.

Edit: Failed to mention in my earlier post above, that I suggest breaking your 100 mile trip into about 4 separate trips, checking your score after each leg. Also, if you know you got a serious ding during one of those legs you can do the reset thing to trash that leg.

While it appears that one can at this point, opt out, and opt in and HOPE to G..d to complete 100 miles without some jackeroo pulling out in front of you suddenly, I’m most likely just going to ride it out another 5-6 days and my one FCW from day 2/1 should drop off and I should be up around 99.5x, and see if the score moves up to 100 and triggers a download. I think I would be even MORE pissed (and at this point, that is hard to do) if I opted out and then Tesla came back around with another goal post move and said, Must have 7 days (or 14, or whatever the flavor of the day is) or my have 7 days or 2 separate drives, or something else they make up after the fact.

Reactions: T-Racer
Fingers crossed, I have 100% and 130 miles as of Thursday afternoon after opting-out-n-in 2 days ago. Others have reported not needing the 7 days of driving history, so we'll see.

For those of you struggling to get to 99 or 100, seriously consider the opt out. I was at 97 with plenty of miles trying to get it to 99 to get with the next wave. Then I had some bad runs due to traffic and traffic lights and my numbers started dropping. At one point I needed 900 miles to get to a 99 and I bailed out of frustration. I was shocked I could start over.

You have a choice - take action or you wait and let the program descend to your score - but ANYTHING can happen with Elon. Maybe next week, maybe when 10.3 is ready...who knows, he could say, "We have enough, maybe when we get to 11."

If you need more than 100 miles to round up to a score of 100, I'd say opt-out and try again. If you have a good run going, pull over and lock it in and repeat. That way if you if someone turns in front of you and you get a FCW on your way home, it's not all for nothing.

Good luck everyone!

Since 10-9 I’ve had 11 100s and 1 99. Stuck on 99. Does Tesla take into account all the drives or just the number. If it’s the number only the way the score is calculated is seriously flawed. I hope Elon is true to his word and gives all 99s the FSD Beta tonight or tomorrow as he promised. My FSD subscription expires in one week. If nothing happens between now and then, I’m thinking about canceling my subscription.

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors
View attachment 723971
OK, here’s what to do, all in one post:

1. Opt Out of FSD beta. (Your car, under the Autopilot:Safety Score tab)

2. Wait until your current score no longer shows up in the Phone app. That may take an hour or more.

3. Opt IN to FSD beta.

4. Wait until the Safety Score report in the app shows “Nothing to see, waiting for your first drive” or something like that. Until then you won’t even see anything about Safe Driving in the app. Might take another hour or so.

5. Cross your fingers and drive with Autopilot over 100 miles on a freeway.

Be careful merging or exiting the freeway. A lot of people get dinged with Unsafe Following doing that. While on the freeway, follow a truck at a safe distance while driving manually for several miles. This will soften the blow if you get hit with Unsafe Following.
Rules? Gaming the system? Give me a break. Show me the "rules" and I'll tell you if you are breaking any.

AFAIK, there are no "rules" and therefore, no "gaming". It is what it is, as terribly short-sighted as it is.
Bingo

Rules? Gaming the system? Give me a break. Show me the "rules" and I'll tell you if you are breaking any.

AFAIK, there are no "rules" and therefore, no "gaming". It is what it is, as terribly short-sighted as it is.
You're right, other than inconsistent random tweets from Elon, this safety score thing did not come with any rules.
Only "rules" are here Safety Score Beta explaining how it's calculated. That's it

Reactions: hcdavis3 and dillon
Well… I can’t believe it but I popped into the 100% club, after driving to Buffalo from New York City and put on over the last several days about 600 miles. The bet with my wife has been won!

By the way the Tesla stats app was terrific… They told me exactly what I had to do to get to 100 and it was spot on. Plus a lot of other cool features that I was looking at prior to buying, what the new safety tab definitely was a seller.

So now what? It’s been about 2 1/2 hours. No emails… And I’m terrified to drive the car! Of course, can always cancel the drive wherever I’m going… But it would be nice to get notification that I’m in. I really can’t wait for this safety score stuff to be off my phone

I’m glad I made it to 100%. I’m just worried that even though Elon promised Friday for 99 percenters , will the version 1.3 be ready or delayed? And also it’s very difficult to get to 100%, but much easier to get to 99%. That being said, are they going to be thousands of 99% people and because of the volume they get shut out?

Who know?

Since 10-9 I’ve had 11 100s and 1 99. Stuck on 99. Does Tesla take into account all the drives or just the number. If it’s the number only the way the score is calculated is seriously flawed. I hope Elon is true to his word and gives all 99s the FSD Beta tonight or tomorrow as he promised. My FSD subscription expires in one week. If nothing happens between now and then, I’m thinking about canceling my subscription.
The total scores are weighted by the daily mileage, so that one drive of 99 must have more miles than the sum of the hundreds or you'd be over 99.5 and would round up. You can do it in Excel pretty simply or use this website to enter your daily scores.

Reactions: hcdavis3