Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice work on this @GargantulaKon! I'm curious how you interpret the braking/deceleration number. If you're braking on a downgrade, my interpretation is that it is not tracking the actual g-force, but the deceleration MPH > 6.7/second. Like many others, I have a drive that involves a steep downgrade with an awkwardly placed traffic light. It appears to me that staying below the 6.7 MPH/second regardless of g-force keeps you ding-free.
Thanks.

I am measuring g-forces since that's what is stated on the Tesla Safety Score documentation for braking and aggressive turning based on when and where you calibrate the meter (while the car is on a flat surface). Maybe Tesla is taking inclination into account now? I thought they weren't. 0.3gs is what I'm measuring for braking via the accelerometer in the phone.

I'm also going to add a feature to show a green indicator whenever you're braking or turning in the good range (0.1 to 0.3gs for braking and 0.2 to 0.4gs for turning) which helps bring up the score.

For those with 99 I wouldn't EXPECT Beta tomorrow. It may happen but that is not what Musk's Tweet says.

Musk: "Maybe next week[release of 10.3]. We’d like to get to 10.3 before expanding the beta."
No he doesn't it is pretty clear he said he is planning on releasing 10.3 to cars with a score of 99. His actual tweet is below...

Beta 10.3 releasing Friday next week to all cars with 99/100 safety score

Here is an update on the Tesla Safety Score G-Force Meter app (Android and iOS) that I'm developing to help know if you need to start diluting any aggressive turns or hard braking.

The two indicators at the top will flash red for a second every time you go over the G-Force limits stated on the Tesla safety score documentation.

I'm going to test it out while driving.

View attachment 724262
Very cool.

Available for sideload ? I can test it ...

I started using Tesla's Safety Score system a few weeks ago after pushing the "Button". Excited to use it and create a 100% Safety Score everyday but I have come to the realization that if you live in a populated area like So. California, it can not be done no matter how cautious and safe you drive.

As examples:
1) Yesterday I was doing 40mph on a 50 mph speed limit, two lane road. No one was behind me. Up to this point I was 100% for the day but then an on coming car made a quick left turn in front of me to enter a side road. My 3 made a loud Forward Collision Warning even though we were not going to hit. The only hit that day was my Safety Score. It dropped to 99% because of something I could not have avoided.

2) While driving on the right, slow lane on the freeway giving a good distance between me and the car in front (Don't want to get a Safety Score hit for following too close) as a speeding car enters the freeway from the on ramp decides to cross in front of me to get to a faster lane on my left. Once again, a hit on my Safety Score for driving too close. I no longer drive in the far right lane. But in California drivers will cross quickly in front to get to another lane creating another following too close hit on the Safety Score. I now drive closer to the car I'm following but that doesn't seem to stop some drivers from trying to cut in front creating a hit on the Safety Score. For me this has been the most hits on my score because no matter how safe or cautious I drive, there are fools out there in such a hurry for which I can not control.

3) I was stopped at a red light. The light turned green, I started across the intersection when a pick up ran a red light. I jammed on the brakes. Once again, the only thing that took a big hit that day was my Safety Score.

I am giving up the stress regarding Tesla's Safety Score because the fun of driving my3 has been taking away by the anxiety of trying to keep a perfect 100% score.

Now, I do think trying to create a perfect Safety Score has made me a better driver and I will continue on that path but no more worrying about a score that I cannot control 100%.

I would be curious how many folks have a perfect or high score who use their vehicles in a commute vs people who can use their Tesla only when they elect to.

I don't commute with mine (so was bitten by the 100 mile minimum the first time), but have the luxury of deciding when and where I drive it. So yesterday I did a full 100 mile drive with a 100/100 score on that drive. If I had a daily commute or otherwise had places I must drive with that car, I don't think I could easily just decide to put in the effort to get whatever score I wanted. The reality of a commute would force a far lower score.

Reactions: dillon and rprom3
No he doesn't it is pretty clear he said he is planning on releasing 10.3 to cars with a score of 99. His actual tweet is below...

Beta 10.3 releasing Friday next week to all cars with 99/100 safety score
And we know we can take Elon at his word. Seriously, the man can't stop from holding back the truth. Not sure why anyone would believe anything he says these days. :(

• Disagree
Reactions: rxlawdude
I would be curious how many folks have a perfect or high score who use their vehicles in a commute vs people who can use their Tesla only when they elect to.

I don't commute with mine (so was bitten by the 100 mile minimum the first time), but have the luxury of deciding when and where I drive it. So yesterday I did a full 100 mile drive with a 100/100 score on that drive. If I had a daily commute or otherwise had places I must drive with that car, I don't think I could easily just decide to put in the effort to get whatever score I wanted. The reality of a commute would force a far lower score.
I use mine for a daily commute and can’t break 99. That’s also with a lot of driving around at night or unpopulated areas just to dilute the strikes from driving in a regular daily commute, which are impossible to avoid.

And we know we can take Elon at his word. Seriously, the man can't stop from holding back the truth. Not sure why anyone would believe anything he says these days. :(
Take everything with a grain of salt, but we have to work with what we have. If your score is 99, you're holding till Friday/Saturday to see what happens before trying the opting out/in trick. Heck, they may even say that they're raising the minimum mileage to 1000 miles 100/100. Wouldn't surprise me if a micro update comes out that fixes the opt out/in trick and not release FSD beta to 99s!

Take everything with a grain of salt, but we have to work with what we have. If your score is 99, you're holding till Friday/Saturday to see what happens before trying the opting out/in trick. Heck, they may even say that they're raising the minimum mileage to 1000 miles 100/100. Wouldn't surprise me if a micro update comes out that fixes the opt out/in trick and not release FSD beta to 99s!
They wouldn't even have to release a update to fix the opt in opt out trick. They could simply keep the data when people opt out and bring it back when they opt in. All that stuff is being calculated server side at Tesla's end.

Edit: Possible they wouldn't want to do this though because they don't want to keep this data if people don't want to be in the beta... Also easy enough to do something server side to not let people opt back in or make people wait say a month before they can opt back in...

I agree with you, my comment was in response to a post that was just flat out wrong about what Elon said....
Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 1.15.17 PM.png

They wouldn't even have to release a update to fix the opt in opt out trick. They could simply keep the data when people opt out and bring it back when they opt in. All that stuff is being calculated server side at Tesla's end.

Edit: Possible they wouldn't want to do this though because they don't want to keep this data if people don't want to be in the beta... Also easy enough to do something server side to not let people opt back in or make people wait say a month before they can opt back in...
Yes, they could just update their reporting on the back end. It would be more fun and in line with how they torture us if they released an update to give us al hope, then we find out it's a small "bug fix" update, but in reality it was to sync up some changes to safety score reporting 😭

Yes, they could just update their reporting on the back end. It would be more fun and in line with how they torture us if they released an update to give us al hope, then we find out it's a small "bug fix" update, but in reality it was to sync up some changes to safety score reporting 😭
All of this is just more reason I would never get insurance that bases the price off something like Safety Score or progress snapshot...

Reactions: rxlawdude
Exactly you would think they would internally test this quite a bit before releasing it to a public beta test group also so by yesterday they really should have known if it was good to go today...

Edit guess that was Wednesday but still should know about pushing updated software to a couple thousand people's cars...
Two weeks ago Today Elon said they ran into some issue and will postpone to Sunday/Monday. Hopefully that is what he meant. I.E. That is thee plan if all goes well.

Reactions: THXULTRA