Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I started using Tesla's Safety Score system a few weeks ago after pushing the "Button". Excited to use it and create a 100% Safety Score everyday but I have come to the realization that if you live in a populated area like So. California, it can not be done no matter how cautious and safe you drive.

In general yes. I agree. I spent a month trying to get 99/100.

However, I live in Metro LA and just opted out Wed and opted back in. Did my driving at middle of night and had 99. Just got to 100.

But yeah if you have to leave the house, or don't have another car it's hard.

Honestly with a month of driving regular metro LA I was at 92. Most days were 99/100 but there are those idiot says where you're forced to hard brake, loose desired follow distance, or hard turning to avoid something.

Two finger reset during drives you know, or suspect were dinged works. I did it today for a 2 mile drive someone pulled out in front of me and I have to hard break. Reset computer and kept my 100 for the day.

I went out in the middle of the night on the freeway and ran up about 80 miles to get my 99 score up to 100, JIC there is an expanded roll and esp if it's only 100.

And this is another reason the Safety Score means nothing. At this point I think it is generally only the fanatics that will be getting the Beta...you know the ones that get up in the middle of the night just to get good scoring miles! HAHA. I am not there quite yet...maybe next week,

Reactions: THXULTRA
NTSB probably balks at them now for releasing beta versions. They think the correct way to do this is to release 5 year old software and charge $100 for map updates.

When you have a release cycle of 2 weeks - there isn't much time for formal internal testing. Its possible they have daily builds that everyone in the team and dedicated testers use every day - in which case its all being tested daily. But, they may do a NN wide retraining - which could cause issues (like with 10.2) that delays the release. We don't know what they are doing in 10.3.

Was it the NTSB that had no power to forced anything, but only strongly suggest? Or was it another agency.

As far as I know you need 100 miles minimum.

You might want to go out and get another 75 miles in before midnight Pacific.
I know. I will try to after work. Most likely in the weekend I will hit it. I hope I can keep 100 or 99 and 99s would get it by then.
There are so many ifs . I will update here if I can get at some point. I'm not that hopeful. I have a 2.5HW car that's updated with no cabin camera.

Reactions: Eugene Ash
I think you are thinking of the CDC...

Edit: although they do have some authorities...
1634937630241.jpeg

YOU RESPEKT MY AUTHORATAY

I think you are thinking of the CDC...

Edit: although they do have some authorities...

Maybe I'm just thinking of the fact that make "recommendations" to Tesla (and other makes) to make certain changes. It's up to Tesla if you decide to follow this recommendation or not.

Now if Tesla continues to ignore the recommendation, I'm not sure what happens new. Is it just fines, does NTSB need to bring in another agency, does it need a court ruling, can they place some sort of hold on Tesla's business?

And this is another reason the Safety Score means nothing. At this point I think it is generally only the fanatics that will be getting the Beta...you know the ones that get up in the middle of the night just to get good scoring miles! HAHA. I am not there quite yet...maybe next week,
I agree 100%, I use my car for work and make many trips a day example: just this month so far I've driven 1,394 miles with 542 trips and have been able to keep my score at 99 during all of this and no expressway driving. But people with 101 miles driven in the middle of the night are a "safer" driver than I am. Then to figure out you can just unenroll and reenroll just makes me furious that I have been playing this BS game for this long. It has added so much stress while I'm trying to do my job. I was ok with dealing with it for 7 days but now its been how long and I could of just reenrolled and been done with it. When I told my dad about it he just started laughing at me.

Last evening, My tesla sitting in the garage with a 99 score looked like a more thrilling ride than my motorcycle. So I took it out for a spin around town. I came back with no major issues. It was so nerve wracking but definitely strangely more thrilling than my motorcycle ! If Elon doesn't keep his promise tonight, I might be tempted to do that again. Now come on Elon don't make me do it

I agree 100%, I use my car for work and make many trips a day example: just this month so far I've driven 1,394 miles with 542 trips and have been able to keep my score at 99 during all of this and no expressway driving. But people with 101 miles driven in the middle of the night are a "safer" driver than I am. Then to figure out you can just unenroll and reenroll just makes me furious that I have been playing this BS game for this long. It has added so much stress while I'm trying to do my job. I was ok with dealing with it for 7 days but now its been how long and I could of just reenrolled and been done with it. When I told my dad about it he just started laughing at me.

Exactly. I'd been playing the game since what Sep 25th and only managed to sneak by previous 99/100 scores back to 92 after a month. I was going to have to drives thousands just to get back to 99/100, with MASSIVE luck.

I literally was going to give up.

The opt out - out in was a fresh break to just start over. Now I'm not freaked out anymore. I can just do it again if this weekend doesn't get me the beta and I drop below 99/100 next week.

Here is an update on the Tesla Safety Score G-Force Meter app (Android and iOS) that I'm developing to help know if you need to start diluting any aggressive turns or hard braking.

The two indicators at the top will flash red for a second every time you go over the G-Force limits stated on the Tesla safety score documentation.

I'm going to test it out while driving.

View attachment 724262
Pulling 1G on a turn????

I have been shaking the phone to test it while developing before going on a drive. 😁

How about a warning before it reaches the Tesla limit so you can dial it back and hopefully avoid the hit to the score. Or maybe a user selection to select default (Tesla) limit or user selection?

I’d also prefer an audible alert instead of just a flash on the phone. Easier to not miss. It could even say brake, steering, collision, etc (or something) instead of just a chime.

Just my two cents.

Anyways great work !!!