Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had over 3,100 miles with a running safety score of 99 the whole time and finally received the broken update 10.3 and fixed update 10.3.1 over the last few days.

I was watching people bragging about scroll button wheel resets / opting out - opting back in etc..etc.... I sure hope Tesla fixes(ed) that since the Insurance model is relying on that data and if it's as easy as reseting a drive to "cheat" the system then it is pretty useless.

I was pretty salty about seeing people gaming the system the whole time just to get the Beta but I guess that's how some people are. 🤷‍♂️

I had over 3,100 miles with a running safety score of 99 the whole time and finally received the broken update 10.3 and fixed update 10.3.1 over the last few days.

I was watching people bragging about scroll button wheel resets / opting out - opting back in etc..etc.... I sure hope Tesla fixes(ed) that since the Insurance model is relying on that data and if it's as easy as reseting a drive to "cheat" the system then it is pretty useless.

I was pretty salty about seeing people gaming the system the whole time just to get the Beta but I guess that's how some people are. 🤷‍♂️
"Gaming the system" is a pretty strong term when we were being dinged for using regenerative breaking! Had they told us the parameters ahead of time that would have been a bit more reasonable.

"Gaming the system" is a pretty strong term when we were being dinged for using regenerative breaking! Had they told us the parameters ahead of time that would have been a bit more reasonabl
Yep I was dinged for that too, the new Refresh S' will ding you every time if you don't come off the accelerator slowly, but was still able to keep a 99 the entire time with a lot of miles.

Last edited:
Reactions: StiTChEs37

You probably certainly win the price for most miles in a month.

Yea I struggled with doing it. The decision came when I realized all they care about is 100 miles of great driving. The fact that the 1-3 second range on follow distance was added to the website only later also factored in. Finally the false FCW.

If there was some kind of Tesla appeals board or any kind of communication I would have taken that route. But since there is not, I saw the opt out as their saying “we don’t have time to answer every little thing right now - and we know the SS is a beta - so if you have a problem just start over”

Spreadsheet Update v10 - 30 Day Rolling Average
I see regular anonymous visitors to the scoring spreadsheet (there are 4 people there as I write this). As long as it's getting used I'll keep updating it.

It appears that Tesla is rolling off scores after 30 days so I've added a column to reflect that. Good luck to those with scores that are within striking distance of 99 or 100 or those who are hoping they can get to 98 before the beta is released to that score.

There are full instructions on the sheet as shown on the screenshot below the link. Good luck and good driving.
Spreadsheet link:

View attachment 725822

Just wanted to make a comment, maybe I am missing something though... If you put a 1 in for forced autopilot disengagements and you start incrementing the miles driven, your cumulative score goes down as you add to the miles for the line with the forced autopilot disengagement.

That just doesn't make sense that my score would get worse the more miles I drive if I got a forced disengagement.

...this does not directly affect my score, I was just putting values in to see what effect it had on the scores and found this.

Reactions: dillon
Theory: Tesla first releases beta to folks with 7 days or more of driving behavior and a 99+ score.

As the version shows soaks and shows stability, THEN they open it up to others with a 100 score regardless of their driving days. Hence why we saw some jump on 10.2 almost immediately after they completed 100 miles.

After the 10.3 debacle, extra caution ensued, so only those who had 10.2 continued to have the beta plus a few people who had 2-3 days of driving behavior established.

If this is true, we should see more 100/100 invites tomorrow and Thursday.

You said was, are you saying that you're not salty about it anymore? I don't like doing it either (especially the wasted time and wear and tear on the car), but when you get false FCW's for other drivers cutting you off, it shows that I can just drive when no one else is driving and still get a high score. I'm so anti-tailgate, that the following distance of seven is not far enough for me on my Tesla. I usually have to adjust the speed so that I'm further away. I wasn't getting those FCWs because of me tailgating.

Would you consider gaming the system if someone drives early morning or late night or only if they reset their drive? How about when people drive for extra miles in order to fix their hard braking or aggressive turning?

You said was, are you saying that you're not salty about it anymore? I don't like doing it either (especially the wasted time and wear and tear on the car), but when you get false FCW's for other drivers cutting you off, it shows that I can just drive when no one else is driving and still get a high score. I'm so anti-tailgate, that the following distance of seven is not far enough for me on my Tesla. I usually have to adjust the speed so that I'm further away. I wasn't getting those FCWs because of me tailgating.

Would you consider gaming the system if someone drives early morning or late night or only if they reset their drive? How about when people drive for extra miles in order to fix their hard braking or aggressive turning?
I didn't change my driving habits / miles / at all other than setting my A/P distance to 7 after my first drive and seeing my score.

I drive ~100 miles a day commute and my Model S' have been and is the weekend / weeknight family beater car. I will have more miles on my 2021 Model S in 6 month than my wife's 2017 Model X. 😆

If I had to drive needless miles to up my score I would have had to drive cross country twice LMAO

I was only "salty" for a day or two as I have been subject to Tesla / @elonmusk's antics since 2015 and 5 Tesla's for so long that I drop my "saltiness" pretty quickly. lol.

Just wanted to make a comment, maybe I am missing something though... If you put a 1 in for forced autopilot disengagements and you start incrementing the miles driven, your cumulative score goes down as you add to the miles for the line with the forced autopilot disengagement.

That just doesn't make sense that my score would get worse the more miles I drive if I got a forced disengagement.

...this does not directly affect my score, I was just putting values in to see what effect it had on the scores and found this.
Unfortunately that's the way it works. Forced Autopilot Disengagement is just a number as opposed to being a number per 1,000 miles like other categories are. That means if you get one of those errors your best bet is to stop driving for that day as soon as you can. That's because your overall cumulative score is based on a mileage weighted average of your daily rounded scores. As you correctly stated the more miles you drive on that day the more your score will go down (or up if your previous score was even lower). If you then drive perfectly the next day you'd want to maximize your miles to raise your mileage weighted average. Good luck.

Spreadsheet link: Safety Score

Last edited:
I was granted the 10.3 (and subsequent 10.3.1) with the rest of the 99 crowd - no resets... just ~700 miles of bizarre driving where everyone around me asks, "what the hell is this idiot doing?"...

to be honest, I'm too nervous to use it very often (perhaps early morning / night when streets are clear)...

By far and away, what I'm most excited about is to no longer have the safety score... drove yesterday and today like a normal human, and LOVED my MSLR (refresh)...

If I ever had to do the safety score thing again, I would opt out...

Quick follow up thought... I think the only reason I stuck with it was because of 'gamification'... was somewhat pointless as I won't use it all that often, but I just wanted to have as high of a score as I could get.

But just like videogames, many people won't hesitate to enter cheat codes / 'hacks' to do better... and when the game is glitchy / perceived to be unfair (i.e. safety score ding for false FCW), people are going to be willing to 'game' the system even more...

Point is, if you have a lower score and, like me, are not willing to game the system, then unless you are actually enjoying the drive to get to the higher score (not just enjoying seeing the higher score, but actually enjoying the drive to get it.... which I'm doubting you are...) then just opt out...

I realized how much I was missing of enjoying the car... I won't let 'gamification' get between me and that ever again...

Quick follow up thought... I think the only reason I stuck with it was because of 'gamification'... was somewhat pointless as I won't use it all that often, but I just wanted to have as high of a score as I could get.

But just like videogames, many people won't hesitate to enter cheat codes / 'hacks' to do better... and when the game is glitchy / perceived to be unfair (i.e. safety score ding for false FCW), people are going to be willing to 'game' the system even more...

Point is, if you have a lower score and, like me, are not willing to game the system, then unless you are actually enjoying the drive to get to the higher score (not just enjoying seeing the higher score, but actually enjoying the drive to get it.... which I'm doubting you are...) then just opt out...

I realized how much I was missing of enjoying the car... I won't let 'gamification' get between me and that ever again...
At this point lots of us have the correct score (99 or 100) but haven't got the beta. This "game" has a "bug" :).

Totally agree. Once you pass 80mph on the freeway, even the max follow distance isn't enough. I try to imagine the car in front of me comes to a complete stop - would I have time to react? And not just barely make it, but get out of the jam gracefully.

Reactions: GargantulaKon
How's TeslaFi looking this afternoon? Seemed like not too many beta deployments this morning (as expected).

1635280667189.png

Reactions: Eugene Ash