Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, lots of people including me.
joker.gif

• Funny
Reactions: GargantulaKon
OK Tesla, you got me! I thought I was getting the real deal but it appears this was just a minor update to my existing software. But why would they update my old stuff when my score is 100 and Ive been waiting patiently for 10.3.x ?

Which highlights another thing that I've been wondering about. Why the different flavor of versions here? What's with "10.3.1" being the same as "2021.36.5.5" ?

Reactions: Chrisgt and dillon
OK Tesla, you got me! I thought I was getting the real deal but it appears this was just a minor update to my existing software. But why would they update my old stuff when my score is 100 and Ive been waiting patiently for 10.3.x ?

Which highlights another thing that I've been wondering about. Why the different flavor of versions here? What's with "10.3.1" being the same as "2021.36.5.5" ?
Very weird. Definitely feels like the 7 day rule has returned.

This whole thing is so insane. I got the FSD beta which made the safety score disappear but I know it's still tracking me. Like having a police officer/dad/driver's ed teacher/mother-in-law constantly sitting in the back seat criticizing every move... I can't imagine a bigger deterrent to Tesla Insurance. I bought a really fun car and am a good driver but would never subscribe to this voluntarily!

I understand that is a logical deduction (in terms of using driving data from 10/1-10/7 for determining who gets the beta on 10/8), but I wouldn't rely on it. I believe Elon's initial statement (about needing 7 days to observe driving behavior) was based on his impression at that time as to the expected software release schedule. However, now that the schedule has been pushed back a week, it would not surprise me at all for that 7-day evaluation to become 14 days.

I actually expect Tesla to use the 14-day period for determining who is worthy of receiving FSD beta. It doesn't really make sense to wholly ignore valid data on an individual's driving behavior; and, most importantly, using the 14-day window will lower the number of people who, in theory, should be among the first group to receive the software.
Just got the FSD beta Monday, Pretty cool, but still a ways to go no doubt. While working on my safety score, I never did see a ding while on Autopilot, not once. So I took it off while turning, and put it right back on afterwards. While driving manually I drove like a grandpa, not really any crazy driving, not crazy wide turns, and only used regenerate for breaking. Just drove very methodically and preventively. It seems if you use the break pedal even a little, no matter the situation, it will ding the safety score. And of course left extra space when following. Most of my dings were when somebody would take left turn in front of me, and autopilot would do an extreme breaking and my reaction - no matter my reaction, it would cause a ding on the safety score. Either I take autopilot off in those situations, and continue breaking because at that point I had too - then I was dinged for breaking hard. Or, I take it off, and drive on through the intersection and then again, a ding for following too close because it thought the car turning in from of me was me coming up too fast on another car - so another ding for close following or collision. Anyway, even with those rare situations I still managed a 99 because most of the time I could let autopilot do it's thing, even if that meant breaking harder than I would which in most cases was still safe, just not what I would have done and often a bit surprising.

Last edited:
This whole thing is so insane. I got the FSD beta which made the safety score disappear but I know it's still tracking me. Like having a police officer/dad/driver's ed teacher/mother-in-law constantly sitting in the back seat criticizing every move... I can't imagine a bigger deterrent to Tesla Insurance. I bought a really fun car and am a good driver but would never subscribe to this voluntarily!
Totally agree. I think the FCW were the biggest hits which I anticipate being able to navigate around more now knowing how sensitive it is to parked cars etc. Feels like the others aren't so bad and stuff I don't do anyway. Although I do occasionally tear out a good aggressive turn :p

Reactions: JeremyJ
Very weird. Definitely feels like the 7 day rule has returned.
They may have introduced it back since so many ppl were opt-out, opt-in, doing 100 miles in a day and getting into the beta. They might have implemented some 7 day rule to catch THAT behavior, but it swept up ppl whose say 30+ day score only moved UP to 99 in the past 2-3 days, so maybe over the weekend we could have some movement.. or a Friday push might come - nobody knows, i don’t even think the King knows at this point.

They may have introduced it back since so many ppl were opt-out, opt-in, doing 100 miles in a day and getting into the beta. They might have implemented some 7 day rule to catch THAT behavior, but it swept up ppl whose say 30+ day score only moved UP to 99 in the past 2-3 days, so maybe over the weekend we could have some movement.. or a Friday push might come - nobody knows, i don’t even think the King knows at this point.
Yeah I hope so. I finally had a long 800+ mile day 94 score drop off my 30 day window today and bump me up to 99 finally. No email. No updates.

Reactions: K5TRX and JeremyJ
Update: After opting out/back in the afternoon of Oct 21, sill no email. I have a score of 100.0 after 357 miles. Tomorrow is Day 7. 🤞
From what I’ve read in this thread loads of people have gotten the beta with less than seven days of data. I don’t think there is any evidence that Tesla takes time into consideration other than Elons initial tweet. I believe When they are ready to add testers to the fleet they check for score/miles at a specific day/time and add them. For 10.2 it appeared to be snapshot Friday afternoon PDT. For 10.3 on Thursday afternoon PDT.
Someone posted data on the 10.2 installation cadence that showed no pushes on the weekend after the initial release. My theory is they are queuing updates manually as the team feels appropriate.
The challenge I imagine they face is the stream of bug reports that have to be evaluated. If the pace of reports is too high for their process to handle in a timely manner then no new beta users added.
So the recent large number of added beta testers is the reason for current 99/100 folks being left in the cold for now.
The posted data from the 10.2 release showed first big additional batch of cars added was the following friday.
The 10.3 release was a mess but overall 10.3.1 seems slightly better received than 10.2 so I’ll keep the over/under on Friday but when they grab the snapshot of user scores may be earlier, possibly much earlier if the team is close to being overwhelmed.
Of course since the CEO ignores all normal constraints anything could happen.