Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Congrats on your new Tesla Alicia!

Please don't get too excited about your safety score - the metrics don't consider the context of your actions.
When a kid on a bike swerves in front of you there is no corresponding action that will satisfy the safety score program.
The system can be scammed and manipulated if you wish. Plenty of info in other posts.

Please just enjoy your car and just drive the heck out of it.
That will be much more satisfying to you than driving around like my Grandma.

Enjoy!

Charlie
(your neighbor)

Reactions: des16
I have noticed that as well, even when tapping on the break while going under 5 mph.

I believe the idea with the single pedal system is to never having to use the break at all, if you are a "perfect driver". At least that is what I remember from my driver's ed class. My teacher at the time stated that if we can make it from A to B without having to touch our breaks, we are following proper distance and all that other nonsense.

That said, you'll have to train yourself it keep your foot away from it and watch your follow speed. After quite a few tries, I have been able to make quite a few trips without ever having to touch my breaks, even on a busy snow coated Chicago city street.
Thanks

Does the reset trick no longer work on v11?

I just installed v11 and on the first drive someone pulled out right in front of me triggering FCW and HB - I did the reset but SS still appears have recorded that incident. I haven't done more testing to confirm/verify but my SS got slammed with 25.6 FCW

Does the reset trick no longer work on v11?

I just installed v11 and on the first drive someone pulled out right in front of me triggering FCW and HB - I did the reset but SS still appears have recorded that incident. I haven't done more testing to confirm/verify but my SS got slammed with 25.6 FCW
Correct, people have reported that loophole has been closed. (Which since their Tesla insurance rates, in at least two states, are based on the score they really need to prevent manipulation.)

Also - I have no idea if this is just me - but my Model X has TONS of FCWs and my Model 3 has none.
I have an older Model X (2017) for which my safety score is just being CRUSHED with superfluous FCWs. I *just* finished a 6 mile drive to pick up some food and was presented with a safety score of... 4. It gave me a 101.9 FCW/1000 mile average. I never actually received any alerts while driving.

I'm a pretty sedate driver and I'm forever being nailed with FCWs, hard braking, aggressive turning and unsafe following - nearly ALL of it while on Autopilot / TACC.

I have to say that I'm definitely subscribing to the notion that older model cars, which will require a refit of the cameras, are being deliberately dinged.

I would challenge ANYONE from Tesla to either review my logs or come on by and drive with me to see how absurd these safety score ratings are for my vehicle.

The fact that dckiwi - the SAME driver - gets different results across different cars implies to me that there is something fundamentally flawed in how the Safety Score is being evaluated for certain cars.

I just signed up for the FSD subscription yesterday. Started working on my Safety Score today. Man, I really need to get this done ASAP as I can't stand driving this way! The second time I went out today my score improved from 97 to 98 even though I apparently follow too closely 17% of the time. The sad part is that I thought I was leaving extra space between my and the car in front!

My guideline for following distance: a full 3 seconds behind the car, at whatever speed it's going. "One one-thousand, two one-thousand, three one-thousand."

I was at 9% before this, and have incrementally gotten perfect scores, since -- bringing it down to 5.7% overall. Maybe the threshold is a bit closer, but I'm not going to jeopardize my 99 to find out.

My guideline for following distance: a full 3 seconds behind the car, at whatever speed it's going. "One one-thousand, two one-thousand, three one-thousand."

I was at 9% before this, and have incrementally gotten perfect scores, since -- bringing it down to 5.7% overall. Maybe the threshold is a bit closer, but I'm not going to jeopardize my 99 to find out.
I was able to get it to 99% after a few trips yesterday and today, with extra distance......

Reactions: K5TRX and planetary
After a trip from Central NJ to Yardley PA and back last night, I'm now at 100% SS.... I didn't realize that time on AP doesn't count towards the score, which is good as I had an incident of hard braking (not phantom) while the car avoided a guy that cut in front of my. Now just need 4 more days of easy driving (assuming the target is still 7 days of 'safe' driving before they let you in to the beta.... Funnily, at dinner last night, someone said that they actually should let the UNsafe drivers into the beta as they obviously need the help.... :cool:

Reactions: K5TRX