Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What they should do is get rid of the "Being on AP doesn't count against you".
Since that's the only way I could get a good enough score and I used it even in inappropriate places and didn't bail until I thought it would kill me.

If they did that, a lot less folks would get in to FSD Beta. So then they could just lower the threshold to let in the number of testers they want. Which would probably be 90-95% score. To take AP out of the equation maybe ONLY miles NOT on AP count. Also probably not allow it to be one straight highway trip which is not an accurate measure. Basically only count City Driving with no AP. Since that's the target driving FSD Beta is after any way.

I don't think it's metrics are that far off. It's the other constraints that tilt things wrong. Following to close, braking and hard turns are probably correct most of the time.

They would get better drivers out of it, and less frustrated ones.

Right now they have a biased group that was a little crazy, and knew more how to beat it than actually drive good, like me, rather than truly better drivers.

And for the record, those itching to get on, I may be losing FSD Beta soon with a trade in. I am buying FSD again, but I won't be that itchy to get back in until they have ORDERS of magnitude improvements. It did satisfy my curiosity, but it's a big disappointment.

And you may ask, why buy it again. I'm totally convinced now that the FSD change lane with blinker completely replaces the lack of true Blind Spot. For that safety reason, I'm buying it again. I also do feel Tesla is giving me an extremely generous trade-in and I think it having FSD is part of it.
Well that’s stupid. Why would they let the car driving, score against you. That’s not your faults, that’s the car... they learn nothing from you not driving.

I'm also in 22 MYLR, at 99 score, enrolled since sometime in January. I had 4.5.3 and then 4.5.17, still there. I still think they at least had some kind of plan at some point about keeping cars on 4.5.x (probably not just .17) for potential beta, but who knows if that plan is still intact.

Well that’s stupid. Why would they let the car driving, score against you. That’s not your faults, that’s the car... they learn nothing from you not driving.
Because people use AP in situations they should not (like city streets) or wait until situations under AP are near reckless before they bail to maintain a good score. That's exactly what I did.

It's also stupid that you can drive 100 miles on AP and get 100% score with zero measurement of your driving skill.

You are still responsible. So either everything should count.

Or only include miles while NOT on AP. They would not count against you but they should not count as points (miles) for you either.

The way it is now is totally screwed up. AP can only give good points (miles) and no bad.

I will say. Since the Opt out and In trick no longer works and reboot on bad drive no longer works. Don't opt in until they are allowing new drivers and you have a smooth long drive ahead. Keeping a 99+ score is not easy.

They actually do partially allow a "score forget." If you get a forward collision warning you can do the two-thumb reset immediately after it occurs (read: while still driving) and the FCW won't be recorded.
I have tried this, it didn’t work for me, anyone else can confirm?

I am already on beta, and had safety score still kept scoring for few month up until couple days ago.

I can turn it on again to test if needed.

Because people use AP in situations they should not (like city streets) or wait until situations under AP are near reckless before they bail to maintain a good score. That's exactly what I did.

It's also stupid that you can drive 100 miles on AP and get 100% score with zero measurement of your driving skill.

You are still responsible. So either everything should count.

Or only include miles while NOT on AP. They would not count against you but they should not count as points (miles) for you either.

The way it is now is totally screwed up. AP can only give good points (miles) and no bad.
Nowhere is it said to not use AP on city streets. If you’re being scored for the beta queue, you are paying for FSD which includes traffic lights and stop signs. I use non beta AP everywhere.

And they want people using the beta that are experienced with using AP and know it’s limitations, and how to handle it doing things wrong. Those AP miles are important. You’re mad, and missing the entire point it seems.

Nowhere is it said to not use AP on city streets. If you’re being scored for the beta queue, you are paying for FSD which includes traffic lights and stop signs. I use non beta AP everywhere.
Not true. The manual specifically says it is for limited access highways only.

1649088485834.png

So why is there a stop sign and stop light part to it. That warning is purely for legal reasons.
"Nowhere does it not say to do something, except for that part of the manual that says to not do that, but that's just for legal reasons so I'll ignore it"

Yes, it is insane they have a stop light control function while telling you to not use it on city streets. The last time I brought this up, the Tesla defenders all tried to find highways with stop lights on them to prove Tesla wasn't being nuts. But the simple reality is that the manual DOES tell you not to use it on city streets, so Tesla is encouraging use in areas that it should not be used in.

"Nowhere does it not say to do something, except for that part of the manual that says to not do that, but that's just for legal reasons so I'll ignore it"

Yes, it is insane they have a stop light control function while telling you to not use it on city streets. The last time I brought this up, the Tesla defenders all tried to find highways with stop lights on them to prove Tesla wasn't being nuts. But the simple reality is that the manual DOES tell you not to use it on city streets, so Tesla is encouraging use in areas that it should not be used in.
to play devils advocate, the stop light control does work with TACC as well, which is something that is "allowed" on a much broader range of roads, many that include lights. but i agree, its nonsense to think people aren't going to use AP on city streets now, i know i do lol.

honestly tho this is something i credit tesla for, other car makers would just lock out the feature where its not appropriate to use, but with tesla, yes you have to get past the wall of text but after that your free to use it however you like. its far more annoying when you know your car can do something but just wont because some bureaucrat doesn't want the bad press lol.

So why is there a stop sign and stop light part to it. That warning is purely for legal reasons.

The stop sign and stop light part works with just TACC.

Which is NOT restricted to highways in the manual.

It's autosteer, specifically, they state is intended for highways.

Now--- because you can't use autosteer without ALSO having TACC on, you end up with stop lights and signs feature "on" in that case too... But not because you're supposed to use it in city streets (again, the manual tells you you aren't) but because one of the features that ALSO needs to be on happens to include that.

EDIT- just to say OncomingStorm made the same observation as I was writing this

Reactions: OncomingStorm
the Tesla defenders all tried to find highways with stop lights on them to prove Tesla wasn't being nuts.

Here in TX we have a number of limited-access highways where you end up eventually hitting stoplights. The scenario is usually the highway passes through a small town, and the speed limit decreases a bit and then there's a few stoplights near commercial stuff (e.g. local gas stations and eateries), and then the speed ramps back up on the other side of town. They're often under a mile, on a long straight highway that you're otherwise NoA-ing down for hundreds of miles. The highway *is* limited-access when it's not inside one of these towns. Having NoA/AP able to detect and stop at those lights on the way through is really useful. It's kind of a grey area whether you'd call those short stretches "city streets" - technically it still is the same highway with the same highway number, but now it has less-limited access from the sides, temporarily, and it is in a city, temporarily. I suspect this is the primary use-case for TACC+Autosteer paying attention to lights at all, if Autosteer isn't meant for city streets.

It's kind of a grey area whether you'd call those short stretches "city streets" - technically it still is the same highway with the same highway number, but now it has less-limited access from the sides,
Covered by "do not use where pedestrians may be present."
I suspect this is the primary use-case for TACC+Autosteer paying attention to lights at all, if Autosteer isn't meant for city streets.
No way. The primary use case is in cities to "beta" test the feature because Tesla knows you won't actually pay attention to the manual, but then wants to say "but they weren't obeying the manual!" when an accident occurs.