Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety : Side swiped by semi and walked away

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last week got side swiped by a semi-truck driver. He just decided to come into my lane, and keep coming. No injuries, simply walked away.

Biggest concern was swerving back into his wheels so corrective action after the initial hit was to put a bit more distance between him and me (shoulder was to my right as I was in the slow lane doing 61MPH) up a hill. Pulled over to the shoulder in a few hundred feet while he literally kept going.

Lessons learned:

* I don't think the auto-pilot is good enough to dodge a vehicle coming at you from the side who really wants your lane.
* Always be ready to take corrective action
* I don't think a Tesla is going to speed up in case someone is trying to rear end you
* Even though the Model S is a low slung vehicle, it's body is solid enough to withstand a hit
* The wholesale (wrecked) value of these cars are high, incentivizing insurance companies to "total" vehicles as to recoup the loss on resale for the batteries (as per the auto-repair guys)
* Tesla (as a body shop) is hugely backed up. May 7th is when they said they could see me. Tesla approved body shop was "same day"

As per the body shop, if it were simply the doors, they could fix/replace. If it's the quarter panel, it's going to cost more (cut, rivet and glue the replacement). Because the wheels (on both sides) were tweaked, there is probable axle / motor damage. Initial damage assessment to the insurance company basically put it at a complete loss and hence ... totalled.

If you're in CA:

* CHP will call a tow, make sure it's a flat bed
* The tow will take you off the highway (nearest exit) or to their tow yard. $90/day is the storage fee, and the tow fee comes from your insurance company.
* Have a copy of your registration, you need this for the vehicle release from the tow yard. Cops can run plates to find the RO ... tow yards can't.

IMG_5253.jpg

Tesla.IMG_5256.jpg
Tesla.IMG_5262.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: dark cloud
Last week got side swiped by a semi-truck driver. He just decided to come into my lane, and keep coming. No injuries, simply walked away.

Biggest concern was swerving back into his wheels so corrective action after the initial hit was to put a bit more distance between him and me (shoulder was to my right as I was in the slow lane doing 61MPH) up a hill. Pulled over to the shoulder in a few hundred feet while he literally kept going.

Lessons learned:

* I don't think the auto-pilot is good enough to dodge a vehicle coming at you from the side who really wants your lane.
* Always be ready to take corrective action
* I don't think a Tesla is going to speed up in case someone is trying to rear end you
* Even though the Model S is a low slung vehicle, it's body is solid enough to withstand a hit
* The wholesale (wrecked) value of these cars are high, incentivizing insurance companies to "total" vehicles as to recoup the loss on resale for the batteries (as per the auto-repair guys)
* Tesla (as a body shop) is hugely backed up. May 7th is when they said they could see me. Tesla approved body shop was "same day"

As per the body shop, if it were simply the doors, they could fix/replace. If it's the quarter panel, it's going to cost more (cut, rivet and glue the replacement). Because the wheels (on both sides) were tweaked, there is probable axle / motor damage. Initial damage assessment to the insurance company basically put it at a complete loss and hence ... totalled.

If you're in CA:

* CHP will call a tow, make sure it's a flat bed
* The tow will take you off the highway (nearest exit) or to their tow yard. $90/day is the storage fee, and the tow fee comes from your insurance company.
* Have a copy of your registration, you need this for the vehicle release from the tow yard. Cops can run plates to find the RO ... tow yards can't.

View attachment 650353

View attachment 650351View attachment 650352
California allows you to buy back your car from the insurance company after it's totalled. Usually they get very little for it, and it's worth doing if you want to resell it or part it out yourself. If not, you can always sell it to someone like me, that uses EV parts in re-powering projects.
I'm not sure what advantage the insurance company would have in totaling these cars, since they would have to buy you a new one. I think it's just the high cost of getting a Tesla- competent repair shop (Aluminum parts and high-strength steel also?)

Just saw this old thread - how are things now? Did everything get settled? Did you get a replacement?

My real question is: Was the dashcam of any use? Did it catch the tag plate of the trailer?

Thanks for asking!

No dash camera footage (too old for the stock camera, and I had an IRO dash camera which had TAPE over it. I think the people who replaced the windshield covered it to protect the lens, but forgot.

Insurance claimed it as a total loss (which reminds me that I need to ask them for the check

The funny thing is that I'm seeing the vehicle going in for service ... in Germany.

Finally, did pick up my replacement this past Monday (MY22 S LR) and have put 1000+ miles on it :)

Reactions: popgodazipa