TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Safety Tip: Verify Driving Settings

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by bmah, Nov 14, 2016.

1. bmah

bmah Obscure Member

I recently had my S85D in for servicing. I was unpleasantly surprised to discover that someone had changed the driving settings, specifically they had enabled Creep Mode (I had it turned off). I didn't know about this until I was leaving and the car started rolling slowly forward for no apparent reason. More investigation (performed in the service center's driveway, as in "WTF, I'm not driving another foot until I check everything") revealed that the steering had also been changed from Sport to Comfort.

I don't mean to make a big deal out of this, but if your driving settings got changed without your knowledge, your car might end up doing something you weren't expecting it to do. At the very least it's confusing and distracting, and you normally wouldn't notice until your car is already in motion.

Thus this safety tip: After servicing, verify the settings you consider to be minimally necessary for the safe operation of the vehicle.

As a result, the following three items are now part of my post-servicing checklist:

o Verify Creep Mode (Off)
    o Verify Steering (Sport)
    o Verify Regen (Standard)

Hope this helps someone,

Bruce.

PS. I noted my displeasure in feedback on my service visit. No response yet, although I'm not necessarily expecting one. In any case it's ultimately my responsibility to make sure my vehicle is configured properly.

• Like x 2
  2. Dstrohl

Dstrohl Member

Maybe something to do would be to create a "service center" profile and enable that right before dropping off the car? that way if they change something it is on a different profile. Thoughts?

(it seems like they should be doing something like this rather than messing with people's settings.)

• Like x 1
  3. bmah

bmah Obscure Member

That's an idea I hadn't considered. It wasn't clear to why my driving settings were changed...if I'd had some issue related to settings I'd want them to work using my user profile. If these settings were changed for the convenience of the employee working on my car or driving it from one part of the service center to the other, then yeah, leave my settings alone.

Bruce.

4. SomeJoe7777

SomeJoe7777 Marginally-Known Member

I have had them change my settings before on my profile, especially seat position (I'm short, so they always have to move the seat back to drive it). But they've never saved the profile.

When I get back in the car, I just hit my name and the Restore button, and everything is back like I had it.

5. bishoppeak

bishoppeak Member

Could it be that when they run diagnostics those settings default?

6. Ashkenaz

Ashkenaz Member

7. bmah

bmah Obscure Member

So what's weird is that they moved the seat position on me too. No big deal, I just hit "Restore", which did exactly what I wanted. It was after that when I started driving and discovered the other setting changes. This makes me speculate whether "Restore" and "Save" apply to all elements of a driver profile or just the seat position (or maybe those settings having to do with the position of something?). I haven't had a chance to RTFM or investigate this.

It feels unlikely. This is my car's fourth time in the service center (twice for minor problems, twice for an "annual" service), and this is the first time I've encountered this situation. I've not heard of anybody else having a similar experience either.

Bruce.

8. Dstrohl

Dstrohl Member

Definitely not everything is saved, but reading the manual doesn't answer the question, you have to go somewhere on the screen in the car itself to see what is actually saved (the manual simply refers you to the touchscreen control to check).

So... sorry, RTFM wouldn't work (at least not immediately).

9. SomeJoe7777

SomeJoe7777 Marginally-Known Member

I know there was a time in the past where the profile had some settings it didn't save, like Creep and Regen. However, I thought that had been addressed in recent firmware versions. To my knowledge, the profile is supposed to save (almost) everything.

Someone with a better knowledge of firmware history may have to research.

10. Boourns

Boourns Member

If you have an AP/TACC car, verifying the following distance setting may also be a good idea. Probably less likely to change, but also possibly dangerous.