Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Sagamore, MA (non-canonical thread)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cfava attended as well...first time I've talked to another Tesla owner in person outside of the service center. Now that Tesla has permits they can start to get the ball rolling. Tesla rep made it sound like 4 weeks was the absolute soonest they could have it completed but that's an ambitious timeline, everything would have to go perfectly. It was very interesting to hear the thoughts and opinions of the Tesla rep. We don't get many Tesla headquarters employees in this neck of the woods.

Cfava attended as well...first time I've talked to another Tesla owner in person outside of the service center. Now that Tesla has permits they can start to get the ball rolling. Tesla rep made it sound like 4 weeks was the absolute soonest they could have it completed but that's an ambitious timeline, everything would have to go perfectly. It was very interesting to hear the thoughts and opinions of the Tesla rep. We don't get many Tesla headquarters employees in this neck of the woods.

A week to mobilize and three weeks to build would be near record time. Expect a little longer than that...

Work has begun!

The lot is in the process of being cleared. When we spoke with the gentleman at Tesla he said they would start work possibly the next day. I was very skeptical but it looks like he wasn't exaggerating. This supercharger is a little bit unique because it's on it's own property. At the meeting they spoke about having a water retention area and having to run new electrical lines from across the street (they may have said they had to add a new electrical pole across the street to accommodate this but I'm not 100% sure).

The guy we spoke with from the supercharger team seemed like a great guy with lots of information, wish I could have talked with him more.

That's great news MassX1317! :biggrin:

My S85 is due to arrive in September (though I'm hoping it ends up more like late August) and it sounds like this should be ready by then. I have the last week of September off and would love to go down to the cape when it's not packed but still reasonably warm out.

Some important points for Tesla to consider in the Northeast:

1. Sagamore/Bourne Supercharger will likely be one of the easiest dealings with a planning board in the Northeast. I expect a steeper regulatory review going forward with other projects on there books in MA/ME/VT.

2. Keep in mind many Planning Boards only meet twice a month. Conservation commission meetings may only meet once a month assuming you can get on there agenda.
For example, Auburn's proposed Supercharger is stuck in conservation review.

3. Some Planning Boards may force the project into endless sub-committee reviews. If the project needs to go to the Conservation Committee,
this board can force you to perform an environmental impact study which could delay the project for many months.

4. Do not be afraid to take a project to the Zoning Board of Appeals, sometimes Planning Boards make completely unreasonable requests.

5. Finally, I highly recommend they hire a local land use attorney when dealing with other towns; always attend a meeting with your attorney present. Do not assume the Planning Board members know the law, many of them are elected officials and sometimes have large egos. As for the proposed Portsmouth NH/Kittery ME Supercharger, I highly recommend hiring an attorney. I heard through the grapevine, commercial developments of any kind involve lengthly process reviews.

Last edited:
The building permit for the Supercharger:

http://www.townofbourne.com/LinkClic...d=162&mid=1864

Look at 6/13/14 & 6/16/14
24 Meetinghouse Ln

Did I read the permit right? 2 million! The cost of building a supercharge station is frequently estimated at $150k to $300K. The higher figure includes a solar canopy. So why is the Bourne permit priced so high? From the pictures it looks like a lot of site work could be the reason. Does any one know if someone besides Tesla absorbing some or most of this cost?

One guess: this site was just trees & uncleared. absolutely EVERYTHING needs to be done. There is no power, there is no pavement, there was no site plan. also I would guess the project was estimated high... the site preparation, excavation, new utility power pole & cement pad. electrical switchgear, electrician, wire, conduit, the actual cost of the (4) SuperChargers themselves, paving, stripping and signage all add up. It probably won't be $2 million though... but it gets the attention of the planning board as in "Tesla is going to spend a lot of money to build this station, whatever it takes up to $2 million". It might also include the cost of leasing the land for 20 years (or longer, who knows), as they don't own the land, and I'm guessing the "Sorenti Brothers" are not giving Tesla the land use for free.

Per the meeting:

- It's my understanding that the electrical wires (very large ones) will run overhead from across the street instead of under the road. New poles will be put in to accommodate this.

- There was some sort of issue with a water run off pit, I think there may have been some maintenance needed in order for this land to be developed. Not 100% sure if work was needed or not but it was brought up at the meeting.

- The superchargers will be in a separate lot from any other business. This is a newly developed plot of land, so like the above poster mentioned, everything must be done. Tesla does not own the property.

- Pretty sure there will be 8 stalls.

- They were discussing trying to get a sign, possibly a pillar. Do supercharger stations usually have signs?

Looks like we are about 4 weeks since construction started... would love to see how the progress is going.
Any updates on other MA locations? I've been waiting for the Sturbridge, MA location for quite the time, as this would help improve my trip planning from MA down to NJ region.

I'll be driving by there on Sunday early afternoon... I'll stop and take some pictures...

Looks like we are about 4 weeks since construction started... would love to see how the progress is going.
Any updates on other MA locations? I've been waiting for the Sturbridge, MA location for quite the time, as this would help improve my trip planning from MA down to NJ region.