Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Saggy chins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if this is a technical post per-see but.. I've seen Roadsters (1.5) with saggy chins and I didn't really know what was going on or broken. I found out this weekend when my car started scrapping it's nose when exiting our driveway.

My guess is the part shown in the pictures is soft aluminum so that on impact, it gives way vs something more substantial. I've not yet tried to find out what the Tesla replacement part # or cost is because I jury rigged it and it seems ok for now - give me time to get the part without saggy chin hitting the ground

IMG_6919

IMG_6920

You can see this part by only by lowering the chin spoiler/front bit of the belly pan but you can see the tow hook threads and this part bolts up to that on the underside.

Anyone else been through this repair before? I'm wondering if the part is present on the newer bumper cars because it really is part of the belly pan support..

cheers

Julie, the break in the second picture looks to me more caused by fatigue from a repeated flexing, rather than an impact. Is there something else holding this together that perhaps had come loose, allowing the remaining structure to undergo a flexing stress? Or, are all cars doomed to the same eventual fate?

I'm having a little trouble figuring out just where the part is (I have a 2.0). A more zoomed-out picture might help. Wondering how many other cars are close to having their chins start sagging too.

I agree, fatigue certainly played a part there - but there's a bit of the broken part I didn't photo that looks like shear damage. The above post by petergrub shows the exact part that is broken (thanks again!) and you can get a good view of where it is - normally you can not see it at least on 1.5 cars.

Since I have "repaired" the part with spit and bailing wire, the chin no longer sags but I can try a pic. I'm going to get a replacement part if Tesla still has it...

Besides the sad look of the saggy chin, the worst part of this broken undershield bracket is the fluttering of the front spoiler at speeds above 55 MPH. My attempt at temporary repair didn’t hold up for long.

I can confirm that 2003473 is the correct part number when I had Tesla replace this bracket on my 1.5 back in 2013 at a part cost of $48.42.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
My intent is to get a new part (soon) and reenforce it a bit before installing it... I'm sure my hackaround will not last forever. Curious how long it takes for your repair

cheers
I'm told they have 8 parts available at the warehouse. I'm planning to buy it and replace it myself. The repair estimate seems to be one hour of labor, but scheduling is typically very far out at my local service center.

I guess hard is relative - you have to pull the lower panel off all around the front by removing a bunch of hex bolts along the underside/front as well as a couple inside the front of each wheel well.

Having the car up on ramps should help a lot else you're flat on your back reaching under the car quite low to the ground...

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
I guess hard is relative - you have to pull the lower panel off all around the front by removing a bunch of hex bolts along the underside/front as well as a couple inside the front of each wheel well.

Having the car up on ramps should help a lot else you're flat on your back reaching under the car quite low to the ground...

It seems the pictures on the first post of this thread are gone (not shown, unavailable). Can you upload them direct to here on TMC, rather than externally host?

Anyone still having this issue? I contacted Tesla and Burlingame parts department says they don't have any in stock. I am thinking about having some made out of steal. If there are others that would be interested in joining the order, let me know.

I ended up having the Denver Service Center fix mine when I went in for my annual service. They replaced it under goodwill. Although I was charged $718 for the annual service and $2200 for the AC compressor.

Concern: Customer: Front spoiler is loose.

Corrections: Chin Spoiler Assembly
Re-secured front spoiler and replace front bumper bracket as a goodwill gesture.

Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity

BRKT UNDERSHIELD FR (2003473) 1

Pay Type: Goodwill​

I believe I have this issue. The bracket on mine looks like it broke. I will take the spoiler off tomorrow to look.
Any recommendations on where this part can be ordered? Tesla? Carl?

Given road conditions in LA (a ****ing nightmare) it would be nice if this wasn't metal ... so that it does have some flex.