Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Saggy steering wheel

By the way I may be completely wrong here but I was under the impression that the leather on the steering wheel is real leather?
I vaguely remember reading that Tesla had issues with the vegan leather on the steering wheel so they had to use real one.
Again I may and probably be completely wrong.

My steering wheel “leather” is becoming a bit saggy under my left hand. Like an air bubble. Has anyone else had this? Would it be covered under warranty as car not yet 24 months old?
I guess mine must be about the same age (23,000 miles) but no sagging as yet - on the car anyway. I notice you have FSD. Might it be anything to do with 'thumb/finger pressure' when on Autopilot?

I guess mine must be about the same age (23,000 miles) but no sagging as yet - on the car anyway. I notice you have FSD. Might it be anything to do with 'thumb/finger pressure' when on Autopilot?
You may have a valid point here. Mine is two years old, 45,000 miles and heavy use of FSD on daily basis. I did have the tendency of resting my hand there.

The "vegan leather" a.k.a neoprene/pvc is VERY tough when exposed to anything, other than chemicals used in hair products and hand sanitisers/moisturisers.
A good trimmer should be able to re-trim the wheel in nappa leather which is resistant to oily chemicals, but doesn't like water...
I've considered getting the seats retrimmed in leather with Alcantara centre panels.

By way of update Tesla is happy to replace the steering wheel but I went for a service appointment at Park Royal today and they had the wrong part. Apparently a steering wheel from China won’t fit my Freemont M3. They will text me next week when the have the correct one. Yay!

Dilly

Feb 24, 2020
Norfolk
By way of update Tesla is happy to replace the steering wheel but I went for a service appointment at Park Royal today and they had the wrong part. Apparently a steering wheel from China won’t fit my Freemont M3. They will text me next week when the have the correct one. Yay!
Maybe you nearly got a heated one! Glad to hear Tesla are doing the decent thing. Clearly not acceptable to have saggy bits in the car!

Reactions: AnthonyLR

Durzel

Jul 17, 2019
Bath, UK
It will, I have one in mine (also March 2020).

The heating wouldn't work though - although I have an open ended service appointment with Tesla where they're trying to get it working.

edit: Too late.

Reactions: AnthonyLR

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC