Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salary Sacrifice / 0% BIK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all.. My first post here!

I am keen to get away from my diesel and go electric.. have a wife and 2 kids, age 4 and 8, and will arrange a test drive in the Model 3 soon to check it is big enough for our needs - MX is out of my price range :(

I did not think I would be able to afford a Tesla just yet, but I’ve been looking into the tax changes for the 2020/21 tax year and it looks very interesting, with 0% BIK applying in that year.

I’m an employee, working for a small company, and am interested in getting my employer to agree a salary sacrifice agreement to get a Model 3.

I’m quite comfortable about impacts to pensions, to ensure these are not negatively affected, so all good there. My employer would also likely chuck his Employer NI savings back into the pot to make savings greater.

I’m a higher rate tax payer, and also currently lose child benefit, so the tax savings could be significant at 40% for income tax, 13.8% employer NI, 2% employee NI and a further ~20% child benefit, so around 75.8% in tax savings as I understand it.

I’m looking at the options and it looks like I could either:

1) Lease

Here, the lease would be through the company for a fixed term, for my benefit… at the end of the lease could I then try and purchase the car?

Most lease companies seem pretty vague around this as an option… Are there any negatives/ tax repercussions of doing this? Any lease companies who offer this as an option (with fixed residual price perhaps?)

The biggest issue here would appear to be the position should I leave the company mid lease, as the employer would be committed to the end of the term (or would this pass to me?)

2) Hire Purchase

I’m a little unclear on the ownership position here, as my employer is purchasing the Tesla. They would however be able to claim the full 100% enhanced capital allowance in year one (saving 19% corporation tax), effectively giving my employer enough capital to cover the initial deposit (plus some).

The car would then be purchased (by the company?) over the payback period with my salary sacrifice funds.

At the end of the term, would I personally own the vehicle, as it is effectively being purchased in the company name? I’m a little confused how this works.

3) PCP

Similar questions to Hire Purchase here, the 19% capital allowance should apply, but who owns the vehicle, and what happens at the end of the term, is the car in my name to then sort the balance financing on the residual owed?

Leasing seems the most straightforward option, but I’ve never leased before and with my config likely to include FSD, I’d likely want to keep it longer term if possible.

So the HP option seems the best to me, as I would also have an asset at the end of the term to keep or use as equity for next vehicle - but I cannot get my head around the ownership of the vehicle and how this would work through.

I would assume I would pay road tax and insurance for the car under all options (employer would not want to pay this!)

Anyone have any experience on this who can fill the gaps for me?

You don't own the car. Your employer owns the car and in lieu of salary you get to use it. HMRC see a company car as a Benefit in Kind and the BIK rates for electric cars will be significantly lower than ICE cars from next year. Therefore choosing an EV over and ICE will likely become more attractive to company car drivers.
if you leave the company then your employer still owns the car - they can choose how to finance it.
Best to speak to an accountant to see what happens to your personal tax situation.
Salary sacrifice car | LeasePlan

Many thanks.

So HP & PCP options are out for me.

Thanks for the link to leaseplan... looks promising, as they also cover employer risks around resignation. Rates on their web page look promising also, however I assume the salary sacrifice rates would be different as they say these should include insurance costs also... unless I'm looking in the wrong place?

e.g. A M3P with FSD in red comes out at £657.52 pm (before tax savings of course) - but no word on insurance costs.

Tesla Model 3 Saloon Performance AWD 4dr [Performance Upgrade] Auto Leasing Deals - LeasePlan

I guess I have to contact them directly for salary sacrifice terms....

Welcome aboard @JupiterMan

My Other half has ordered an M3 through Lex at work - your option 1.

This is a no-brainer for us, benefits are:

Lex provide a replacement car for as long as it takes if there is a problem.
Work cover costs of maintenance
Work pay for insurance
Work cover the cost of putting the car into a a saleable state at the end of the lease, no worry about the remaining value.
If made redundant / quit work, Lex take the car back. No worries about monthly commitments or a final payment.
Work have chargers on site which no longer attract a P11D benefit to put onto personal tax bill.

The only negative is Lex won't deliver the car and there is a requirement to pick up from the SC.

Your work may not be as generous - for us this is deal of the century. The BIK changes implemented in the 2017 budget make this no higher personal cost than the current work car, there will be a saving on fuel for personal use. If I had this option I would go down this route.

Plus we've just been handed the login approx 10 days after ordering for the account from Lex, no referrals showing yet despite sending Lex a link, I'm not losing sleep over it...

Good Luck with your journey :)

My (old) employer offers salary sacrifice leasing (I have never heard of it applying to anything other than leasing). This is already a great deal. From April it will be a total no-brainer to get an EV by this means, when BiK drops to zero. It is not staying at zero, but will go to 2% over a couple of years, which was the original plan before the "zero" announcement recently. I expect most employers will not throw in their NI savings. It's still a fantastic deal even if they don't.

thanks all for the welcome !

I wondered why the pdf's on the leaseplan link were coming up in another language!... I have been able to find some UK based salary sacrifice content from leaseplan however:

https://insights.leaseplan.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Salary-Sacrifice-eBook-LeasePlan.pdf

will also check out Lex.

I've done some excel calculations on the salary sacrifice with a standard business lease, and it does look like a complete no-brainer.. after also including fuel savings the monthly costs net of tax are about half the price of my current Diesel SUV, which conveniently comes off its 3 year PCP middle of April, so timing for me is perfect.

even with 2% BIK from 2021 the math works, indeed, it looks like a M3P red with white + FSD is affordable :rolleyes:

Its strange that there are not more prominent off the shelf salary sacrifice solutions available from leasing companies ahead of the changes next year...

exciting....!

BIK from next year was a huge incentive for me buying via my own small LTD company.

Throw in the fact the Scottish Government gives a loan to my Ltd company of £35k over 6 year at 0% to purchase the car - it's ridiculous to not consider one.

My accountant then tells me I can write off 100% of the list price of the car against my profits in 1st year.....even better.

Consider approaching your employer to see if they will buy the car outright as this would be a 100% list price write off in 1st year for them.

Capital Allowances For Cars: How Much Tax Relief?

Consider approaching your employer to see if they will buy the car outright as this would be a 100% list price write off in 1st year for them.

sounds good to try and capture the 100% capital relief also, however as pointed out by @mmca22gr this would mean me funding my employer (at a higher cost than leasing) to make the purchase.... with the employer also ending up owning the asset.. so I guess unless you own the business this would not be an option?

100% write down in year 1 less the disposal costs when sold
Company makes a profit in yr 1, 2 & 3 of £50k per year
buy M3 for £40k in yr 1 and profit is £50k less £40k = £10k for yr 1 and £50k for yr 2
Yr 3 sell car for £22k and profit for business is £50k + £22k = £72k

I think you can only claim the 100% write down for the business use. If you use the car 20% of the time for business then in year 1 can you only claim 20% of 100% cost of car?

Getting an interest free loan is best part!

The biggest issue here would appear to be the position should I leave the company mid lease, as the employer would be committed to the end of the term (or would this pass to me?)

You can come to any arrangement you like with your employer - particularly if they are flexible :)

This is the biggest issue for us - we are a small company, but want to encourage EVs, so have put 1 chargers in car park and are thinking of offering Salary Sacrifice, but we very specifically do not offer Company Car (used to ... employees never included the "value" in their "salary comparisons with industry average" and it wasted loads of management time, so we removed all the befits and perks and just give them cash now. Cost of putting in place legal framework for Employee to take on the lease / buy the car out of lease, if they leave, and all the associated Stuff is a fair wack and slowing down board level decision on getting this in place.

Charging at work would be £200 p.a. cost to us, so would be happy that Employees get that as a perk.

I started a thread a while back to consider it (from Employer perspective)

Company Employee Loan For Ev Purchase?