Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

lorih

May 12, 2013
When I adopted my cat, she was named Saleen, and I kept it because it was cool. My cat just got cooler.

lolachampcar

Nov 26, 2012
WPB Florida
Me thinks Steve is in way over his head.

It should be a neat body kit, uprated interior and some cool wheels/tires. He may even go back to Bilstein and get some dampers done up although that will take a bit of a commitment on his part.

qwk

P130DL
Dec 19, 2008
Saleen used to make some decent cars. Now it appears to just be body kits and cosmetic fluff. There is no way Tesla is going to let them in on drivetrain secrets to make more power.

Gizmotoy

Sep 16, 2013
Bay Area, CA
Seems like good news. Aftermarket interest is a plus.

I keep wondering if someone will graft the P85 inverter into an S85. Seems like a potential low-hanging fruit for an aftermarket performance upgrade, with an actual target market. If the ordering forum is any indication, there's a lot of S85 owners who regret not getting a P85.

Still, you'd need deep pockets to even attempt it, including an S85 and a P85 you're willing to tinker with. And who knows if the car will recognize the upgraded part, or if the software will lock it out.

Still, it'd be really fun to experiment with. I'm fascinated with the idea of opening an EV performance shop.

Luder94

May 27, 2013
Algonquin
I'm not looking forward to this....this will be a gaudy atrocity. American tuners' visions of aesthetic modification is unappealing (save for APR widebody on an S2000). They should stick with big bodied/bloated muscle cars....not get into a car, that although is big, pulls it off with lean European proportions.

I'd much rather a tuner like Liberty Walk, Fabulous, Novitec Rosso, or Hamann come with their vision and versions of a tuned Model S. They know how to make leaner looking cars look great.

bareyb

Sep 2, 2013
Silicon Valley, CA
I'm guessing it will be mostly cosmetic with perhaps some suspension improvements. Still, it's a good thing for Tesla I think. I like the idea of 3rd parties getting involved. As Elon would say, the more the merrier. It's all good press versus the "other kind" we've been getting. I'm happy to hear it.

Discoducky

P100DL, 2021 M3, 4 CT reservations and counting
Supporting Member
Dec 25, 2011
My mountain
Saleen employees lots of electrical, mechanical and powertrain engineers so I would expect more than cosmetic and suspension changes.

JRP3

Hyperactive Member
Aug 20, 2007
Central New York
If they can reprogram the inverter they could probably boost the power going to the motor while sacrificing battery longevity, assuming the motor/inverter can handle more power than the pack can deliver. They could also replace the pack with a high C rate chemistry, sacrifice range, and lighten the vehicle while also increasing power. They could also lower the gearing of the gear reduction to improve 0-60 times while giving up some at the top end.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC