TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Saleen announces their version of a Model S

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by AmpedUP, Jan 30, 2014.

1. AmpedUP

AmpedUP EV Nut

2. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

3. Len

Len Member

4. AmpedUP

AmpedUP EV Nut

It will be interesting to see if they dare to mess with the battery pack at all !

5. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

Pictures or it isn't happening, Saleen!

6. rdrcrmatt

rdrcrmatt Member

agreed! I love what Saleen does with Mustangs, I can't wait to see what they do with a Model S.

7. lorih

lorih Member

When I adopted my cat, she was named Saleen, and I kept it because it was cool. My cat just got cooler.

8. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

So, I don't know about this sort of thing. Do they just throw new rims and body panels on the car to make it look different?

9. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

Me thinks Steve is in way over his head.

It should be a neat body kit, uprated interior and some cool wheels/tires. He may even go back to Bilstein and get some dampers done up although that will take a bit of a commitment on his part.

10. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Manages to say a lot without actually saying anything at all

11. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

Saleen used to make some decent cars. Now it appears to just be body kits and cosmetic fluff. There is no way Tesla is going to let them in on drivetrain secrets to make more power.

12. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Seems like good news. Aftermarket interest is a plus.

I keep wondering if someone will graft the P85 inverter into an S85. Seems like a potential low-hanging fruit for an aftermarket performance upgrade, with an actual target market. If the ordering forum is any indication, there's a lot of S85 owners who regret not getting a P85.

Still, you'd need deep pockets to even attempt it, including an S85 and a P85 you're willing to tinker with. And who knows if the car will recognize the upgraded part, or if the software will lock it out.

Still, it'd be really fun to experiment with. I'm fascinated with the idea of opening an EV performance shop.

13. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

Giz,

Let me know when you do and I'll hop on board for some CAN bus reversing of the chassis to inverter discussions :)

14. Luder94

Luder94 Member

I'm not looking forward to this....this will be a gaudy atrocity. American tuners' visions of aesthetic modification is unappealing (save for APR widebody on an S2000). They should stick with big bodied/bloated muscle cars....not get into a car, that although is big, pulls it off with lean European proportions.

I'd much rather a tuner like Liberty Walk, Fabulous, Novitec Rosso, or Hamann come with their vision and versions of a tuned Model S. They know how to make leaner looking cars look great.

15. bareyb

bareyb Active Member

I'm guessing it will be mostly cosmetic with perhaps some suspension improvements. Still, it's a good thing for Tesla I think. I like the idea of 3rd parties getting involved. As Elon would say, the more the merrier. It's all good press versus the "other kind" we've been getting. I'm happy to hear it.

16. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Saleen employees lots of electrical, mechanical and powertrain engineers so I would expect more than cosmetic and suspension changes.

17. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

If they can reprogram the inverter they could probably boost the power going to the motor while sacrificing battery longevity, assuming the motor/inverter can handle more power than the pack can deliver. They could also replace the pack with a high C rate chemistry, sacrifice range, and lighten the vehicle while also increasing power. They could also lower the gearing of the gear reduction to improve 0-60 times while giving up some at the top end.

18. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

A friend of mine has a Saleen Mustang. He tried to beat my Model S at the drag strip last year. Gave up after four attempts!

19. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Another thought, they could maybe make a two speed gear reduction which could provide better low end and better top speed.

20. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Saleen supercharger upgrade... charge at 140kW !

Oh sorry! Saleen does the old kind of supercharging...