Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
GAWD I hope they do not touch those brakes...

Don't worry, they'll probably powedercoat OEM brakes to a "Saleen Signature" color (my guess is orange or yellow) and then slap a heat resistant "Saleen" sticker on them....and then change out the pads with some 'race' pads alongside with slotted and drilled rotors that will warp after half a session.

Other than that, same OEM brakes

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to mention that the car will be badged liberally with Saleen stickers, emblems, and stitching on the exterior and interior.

Oh come'on...

Elon will work with them. He'd love nothing more than to see a Model S with some mid range 3 second performance from 0-60, let alone some screaming quarter miles. Elon is competitive.

I say it's almost all on the table...

Two or three speed gear box
Beefed up P motor
Tweaked acceleration curve
AWD
Battery likely won't be touched, but maybe the ace up Tesla's secret sleeve - same pack weight but 100kW+ (I.e. for the Model X)?

I wouldn't be surprised if one or more of these will be deployed.

Just sayin. ;)

Okay. I think Elon working with them is probably the ONLY way they are going to mess with the drive train. It's just not in their wheelhouse. They know zip about Electric Motors. I wouldn't be surprised if the Saleen doesn't have all wheel drive. That would be a good way to boost performance without having to reinvent the wheel too much.

The question I have is that are they going to do this "aftermarket" and retrofit to our existing cars or do they get them straight from the factory and aftermarkey retrofit and sell new OR are they in a partnership with tesla that They receive MOST of the car (let's says without an inverter and gearbox or something) and they'll create their own more powerful inverter and multi-gear box?

Let's make a list of what's possible for them to do from easy to hard to next to impossible:
- stickers
- aero-kit
- brake/suspension/tires upgrade
- improved cooling of drive-train components
- higher peak battery power output
- bigger battery (remove 3400, insert 4Ah cells :)
- stronger motor/PEM
- transplant FWD from MX
- multispeed gearbox with electronic/automatic actuation

Let's make a list of what's possible for them to do from easy to hard to next to impossible:
- stickers
- aero-kit
- brake/suspension/tires upgrade
- improved cooling of drive-train components
- higher peak battery power output
- bigger battery (remove 3400, insert 4Ah cells :)
- stronger motor/PEM
- transplant FWD from MX
- multispeed gearbox with electronic/automatic actuation

Stickers... Love it. ;)

But battery is the item that is the most expensive, and most proprietary, and therefore least likely to be tampered with, or even allowed by Tesla to tamper with... lest Tesla has a new/improved pack standing by.

And I'd add changed screen graphics, thinking at least boot up logo.

Saleen Automotive Announces Plans to Produce Saleen Tesla Model S Electric Sports Car

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/sa...ic-sports-car-2014-01-30?reflink=MW_news_stmp

Like Mercedes Benz had AMG and has Brabus and BMW has Alpina and Racing Dynamics, Saleen will attempt to be the preeminent tuner for Tesla.

Generally, OEMs don't give tuners support at the beginning. Which means any modifications to the drivetrain voids warranties. Tuners like Saleen usually give their modified cars their own warranties.

Sometimes, after a while, tuner cars are sold at a select few dealerships of the parent OEM.

Mercedes Benz ended up buying AMG and making it a high performance group inside MB.

It will be interesting to see if Saleen becomes a successful Tesla tuner making ultra high performance versions of Model S, Model X, Model E, and any future Tesla cars which allows Tesla to reap the accolades of beating MB AMG and BMW M Series cars in the enthusiast magazines but allows Tesla to concentrate on the more mundane daily drivers for the rest of us.

Making only non-functional alterations are rather pointless. Anybody can do those.

Saleen said "Our engineers will also prepare a spec sheet which will detail some of the enhancements and innovations we intend to add to the Saleen Tesla Model S. "

Notice they did not say "Our designers". This so does not belong in interiors and exteriors. They also said this is the first. Implying not only Model S.

A Saleen Mustang has at least suspension components on top Saleen spec wheels, spoilers, and wings and such. They sell those things a la carte for Mustang owners but it is not a "Saleen Mustang."