Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He says they had to "change the software" with regards to ABS and Traction Control. I wonder how "deep" they've been in the software - how much (or little) did Tesla cooperate with them? My guess they've never been inside the "Tesla software" but only in the secondary specific controllers (3rd party?) for ABS/TC.

Front end reminds me of the late-90s Lexus SC400..
1998-lexus-sc-400-luxury-sport-cpe_100027491_m.jpg

>>I've gone full throttle around the track for numerous laps
The cooling enhancements must be working.
Full throttle != full power

>> 0-60 should be in the middle to low 4 sec category
The stock p85 is already there, so....?
MSP is officially at 4.2s
New gearbox in Saleen 416 should put it around 3.75s if grip is "linearly improved" i.e. it does not waste more torque then MSP's TC.
It could be even faster if it managed to deliver even more grip.

Full throttle != full power

True, he could have been putting along at reduced power with the pedal mashed to the floor. However he did seem enthusiastic about the result so hopefully the better cooling did the trick.

MSP is officially at 4.2s
New gearbox in Saleen 416 should put it around 3.75s if grip is "linearly improved" i.e. it does not waste more torque then MSP's TC.
It could be even faster if it managed to deliver even more grip.

Don't know if it's possible but maybe he misspoke and meant to say "middle to low 3 sec category".

Other way around. Higher numerical ratio = "lower" gearing. Lower top speed, better 0-60.

You will get a similar result when using lower profile tyres.
E.g. 245/30R19 instead of the standard 245/45R19 will result in the same effect as changing the final gear ratio to 10.75.
Of course it will lower the car 1.5 inch, but that is a good thing on the track, is it not ?
Probably with this tyre setup a 85S will beat 85P (with standard tyres) at the 1/4 mile.

You will get a similar result when using lower profile tyres.
E.g. 245/30R19 instead of the standard 245/45R19 will result in the same effect as changing the final gear ratio to 10.75.
Of course it will lower the car 1.5 inch, but that is a good thing on the track, is it not ?
Probably with this tyre setup a 85S will beat 85P (with standard tyres) at the 1/4 mile.

I have run 19" 275/30 series Potenza re-11 vs same spec S w/ 21" conti's (245/35) and we matched 1/4 mile times
2" diameter difference in the rear!

It is not the diameter, it is radius that matters.
275/30R19 has 12,7" radius
245/35R21 has 13,9" radius

~10% difference that should result in ~9% stronger acceleration i.e. shorter time if all else were really the same.
Matched times strongly suggest insufficient grip and TC limiting power delivery.

LSD should help in this regard. AWD will help even more.

Right, and that's why a tuner is a tuner - because they do ALL of the things required to squeeze out useable performance... not just one. I'd guess that between the drive ratio, wheel, tire, weight, and suspension changes, Saleen found the harmony to produce a noticeable improvement.

Having said that, like the vast majority of posters here, I'm not impressed. Nose and hood? ychhhh!!!! Paint color? Blah!!!! I wanna see electric orange or something that positively glows for 25k extra. Interior? Looks incremental. Indy drivetrain sounds? I'm past that, now grooving on silent drivetrain!!! I ain't buying it, no way!

huh? diameter = 2(radius)
25.4" vs 27.8"(stock)
Sure. It is just that torque "effects" via radius. Wheel diameter difference in inches does not tell the real difference between both setups. The real difference is ~10% difference in propulsion force that cannot manifest itself because of insufficient grip even for the "weaker" setup.

Wasn't Saleen supposed to reveal more details on their FourSixteen today?

Indeed. Looks like a Panamera - and that's not a good thing.

Indeed! To cite another famous statement about a car design, it looks like a Panamera sucking a lemon:) I wouldn't want to be seen dead in that car.

And Indy sounds? Please.... Who's the moron who thought it would be a good thing to make a silent electric car sound just like the god-awful noisy poison emitters we EV drivers want to avoid like the plague.

Listen to the videos of Mission Motorcycles if you want to hear the whine that a straight cut gear makes. More like a turbine. Not sure how loud it is in real life, but the videos aren't particularly obnoxious. I'd still go for silent though.

DerpTesla.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist.

You increase the gear ratio, you get better 0-60 and possibly hit redline on the motor right around the finish line at the quarter mile mark.
Software tweaks were needed to accommodate the new gear ratio, otherwise ABS and traction control are going to mess up.