Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Saleen Foursixteen Video with sound from modified drivetrain.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you've experienced a stock Mustang GT or something like a Cadillac STS with Northstar V8, you may have noticed that they are actually rather quiet when driven modestly, with the throaty roar only happening under hard acceleration or high RPM. That way you get the quiet you want while cruising, and the throaty roar you want when mad manning it. It's the best compromise, in my opinion. Not all one way or the other. Is it possible to set up an EV to behave like that? I don't know, but if someone ever pulls it off, you will then be able to have the best of both worlds in an EV.

The biggest barrier is probably that EVs so far don't have multi-speed transmissions, which would facilitate keeping the RPM low. This might prevent a suitable compromise. Unless, of course, someone starts putting multi-speed transmissions in EVs. Which may happen eventually. I could see it being popular for the performance crowd, allowing for manual shifts, throatier low RPM sounds, and a better sound balance. Sure, EVs don't need it. And ICE cars don't need high output V8s either, but they exist for the niches that want it.

Last edited:
The biggest barrier is probably that EVs so far don't have multi-speed transmissions, so you can keep the RPM low. This might prevent a suitable compromise. Unless, of course, someone starts putting multi-speed transmissions in EVs. Which may happen eventually. I could see it being popular for the performance crowd, allowing for manual shifts, throatier low RPM sounds, and a better sound balance. Sure, EVs don't need it. And ICE cars don't need high output V8s either, but they exist for the niches that want it.
Multi-speed EVs will come eventually, if only to satisfy European customers. An EV that starts tapering off at 80MPH with a 120MPH top speed is not terribly suitable for Germany, for example. We really need a second gear, at least, to be competitive with high-end European sedans at high speed. The single-speed Model S does well enough (and has some legitimate and substantial advantages) that it's not a high priority. Someone will make it a priority eventually. Even then, I wouldn't expect the gearing to be such that high vs low RPMs will be able to be used as quiet/loud cutoffs like they are in ICE vehicles.

That's not to say EVs can't have different noises under high power. We have the balloon noise! Sure, it sounds terrible, but it is a different noise under higher throttle application. It took a long time before manufacturers started tuning ICE exhaust noises, we have a lot of catch up to do.

[video=vimeo;105394986]http://vimeo.com/105394986[/video]

According to Automobile Magazine

Saleen published a new video of the Saleen Tesla Foursixteen, in which the modified electric vehicle demonstrates its new noise under hard acceleration. It sounds unmistakably electric, but the high-pitched, banshee-like whine of the Saleen-tuned transmission is a vast improvement over the relative silence produced in the Tesla Model S P85. The transmission was modified for better sound and acceleration...

That is absurd. "Better sound"? Yes, I can just hear the discussion at Saleen: "The car is just too quiet, why don't we alter the transmission by using some old fashioned straight cut gears and make the car noisy."

How do outdated gears sound "unmistakably electric"?

And who would want to listen to that noise for more than a minute?

You guys are all EV nerds I guess. :)

I think it sounds awesome, definitely sounds more like the Tesla Roadster. Reminds me of some EV bike sounds as well.

Although if it is pretty loud inside the cabin I agree it would probably get tiresome in a hurry.

I think it is a generation-question. We have grown up with the mindset that acceleration power = noise. Our kids see both possibilities: noisy cars and quiet cars, so the connections is not so clear anymore. Our grand-kids will not understand why would anyone want to hear noise in a car -- what's the point ?

I think it is a generation-question. We have grown up with the mindset that acceleration power = noise. Our kids see both possibilities: noisy cars and quiet cars, so the connections is not so clear anymore. Our grand-kids will not understand why would anyone want to hear noise in a car -- what's the point ?

I grew up in the 60's and 70's in Southern California. Loud exhausts equaled POWER!

I have completely moved on from that simplistic mindset. :)

It appears as if they've just amplified the actual sound the Model S makes.

My actual car (well, the sound of my car) is due to be in the next episode of The Strain on FX (S01E10 for those who care). A friend of mine who did all the sound effects for the show contacted me a couple of months ago asking to record my car. He didn't have anything in his library for a Tesla that appears in the show. My car was completely miked up - some tiny mics right on the exterior of the motor, some near the rear wheels to capture road noise, and some interior mics - and we spent a few hours recording the various clunks and whines the Model S makes.

Here are some of the results (this first one reminded me of the Saleen video the most). Real road noise (I've got the Continentals if anyone is interested) and other sounds made by the car are mixed in to make it more authentic.

Long Drive:
Dropbox - Tesla,Model S,Drive,Med,Long,01,OB.mp3

Quick Start and drive away:
Dropbox - Tesla,Model S,Start,Away,Fast,01,A.mp3

Approach & three point turn:
Dropbox - Tesla,Model S,Up,Stop,3 Point Turn,Fast,01,A.mp3

You can hear the air suspension levelling as well as the door handles when I put it in park. Oh, and crickets. :)

The way the bearded fellow in the video was talking, I'm convinced he is "selling" what they did. Internally, I'm sure Saleen knew about the effect of the gearing, just like Harley Davidson knew. I refuse to believe Saleen has produced car modifications solely with straight cut gears. As for cars with sound effects, I just put Michelin Primacy tires on my 32,000+ mile Model S (had the Eagle RS AC 2) and was very pleased with the silence. While driving down the freeway, I noticed a creaking sound getting louder, then quieter. Thought something was wrong with my car, then I caught up with a truck which had passed me earlier and the sound came back.
Forgetting muscle car culture, or peculiar movie motifs, we all want quieter environments. Think of the sound barriers built to block the noise of a highway. Think of protecting your ears from hearing damage. Every time I pass by a Harley Davidson, I think to myself "enjoy your future hearing aid lifestyle." The only people who want a lot of noise are the ones making it.

I, for one, want to see quieter semi trucks. Hybrids that do regenerative braking versus the engine braking. That would be so pleasant. Who is complaining about quiet lawn mowers?

It appears as if they've just amplified the actual sound the Model S makes.

My actual car (well, the sound of my car) is due to be in the next episode of The Strain on FX (S01E10 for those who care). A friend of mine who did all the sound effects for the show contacted me a couple of months ago asking to record my car. He didn't have anything in his library for a Tesla that appears in the show. My car was completely miked up - some tiny mics right on the exterior of the motor, some near the rear wheels to capture road noise, and some interior mics - and we spent a few hours recording the various clunks and whines the Model S makes.

Here are some of the results (this first one reminded me of the Saleen video the most). Real road noise (I've got the Continentals if anyone is interested) and other sounds made by the car are mixed in to make it more authentic.

Long Drive:
Dropbox - Tesla,Model S,Drive,Med,Long,01,OB.mp3

Quick Start and drive away:
Dropbox - Tesla,Model S,Start,Away,Fast,01,A.mp3

Approach & three point turn:
Dropbox - Tesla,Model S,Up,Stop,3 Point Turn,Fast,01,A.mp3

You can hear the air suspension levelling as well as the door handles when I put it in park. Oh, and crickets. :)

This was so cool, it was pike I was driving my car :) I appreciate that they are sticking authentic Tesla sounds in the show... To many shows just fake them and that is sad.

This was so cool, it was pike I was driving my car :) I appreciate that they are sticking authentic Tesla sounds in the show... To many shows just fake them and that is sad.
Yep, that was his point too. He's really picky, so he was happy to have me at his disposal. It was unlike anything else he has recorded (he's done Lambos, high performance Audi's, Porsches, etc...) and so far, his favourite. I'm interested to see how it turns out on the show!

Need to do a survey of who wants sound and who prefers silent. not sure who Saleen interviewed but appears to me that more prefer the silence. I know I do.
It is typically the first question that ICE operators ask.
Perhaps, but then again, I suspect an exceedingly tiny portion of current Model S owners are in the target demographic for this. The target market is those who would otherwise be buying expensive ICE performance vehicles and entry-level Supercars, and in my mind an absolutely crucial component of all of those vehicles is engine noise and exhaust note. They're trying to draw people away from stuff like this, which sounds absolutely fantastic: 2014 Audi RS7 (560hp) - TOUR SOUND (1080p) - YouTube .

I don't know how successful they'll be, but that's clearly what they're going for.

Helical cut gears have their teeth cut at an angle, slanted eg., ///////// whereas straight cut gears are cut vertically eg., lllllllll

Helical cut gears have less backlash than straight cut gears and transfer power much better than straight cut gears. Well that is how they are sold in RC helicopter world :) I suspect this is true for full size versions too :)

No. Gear are cut helical to spread out the contact surface and thus reduce noise. But since the force moves at an angle you have large sideloads on the gears/bearings/carrier you would not otherwise have. That makes them weaker than straight cut gears. In this case however, I don't think strength has anything to do with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Straight cut gears: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmJH84FnQa8