TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Saleen say 2.8

Discussion in 'Cars and Transportation' started by vfx, Dec 30, 2007.

1. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

2. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

How about calculating the mpg to 0-60 ratio?

Ballpark figures for the Tesla Roadster would be 130/4 which is around 30

If the Saleen could get 28 mpg it would score 10 on this scale.

3. BlackbirdHighway

I can't imagine anyone who purchases a Saleen to have the slightest concern at all about MPG. And the Tesla doesn't burn any gallons of anything, so MPG doesn't have any meaning in that context.

For the price of a Saleen, you could buy 5 Teslas and still have money leftover.

Of course, for the price of a Tesla you could buy 5 Cobalts and have money leftover.

4. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

5. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

To me this sounds like a competitor for the "P +" flavor of Gen3, not a competitor for next gen Roadster. Unless of course "P + flavor of Gen 3" is the next gen Roadster -- but I doubt that.

More specifically, I get the impression Saleen is looking at the 4 or 2+2 market but keep it "justifiable as a family car" (price and behavior) not a two-seater midlife crisis convertible.

6. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

If Saleen converts an existing Ford car/platform the design will be inherently flawed.

If it is building a BEV from scratch it will have difficulties achieving economies of scale to get the price and quality right.

Even in the extreme unlikelihood that Saleen matches or beats Tesla on specs, price, and quality Tesla will have the supercharger network to entice buyers.

There is a reason why there are not several Teslas and why Fisker failed.

This stuff is hard :)

7. lloyds

lloyds Member

Saleen's build quality really isn't that great. My neighbor had a S7 and I've sat inside it. He only had about 600 miles, but the interior parts seemed to age rather quickly.