Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sales advisor offered me a Model 3 LR upgrade ready for pick up THIS week [Sep 2022]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I'm location in Toronto and I ordered a Model 3 RWD a week ago (estimated delivery date was Nov-Dec) and today I got a text from a SA informing me that multiple Model 3 LR are available (over 6 different configurations). They said I can take delivery BEFORE the end of September if I choose one of the LR vehicles. Should I do it?

The total price in CAD for RWD is ~$71,500 CAD and for LR it is ~$90,500 CAD (both configs have white interior). I am wondering if this upgrade is worth it?

I am located in Toronto, Canada so I could benefit from the AWD, but the price difference is almost 20k. Any advice is appreciated!

Please be advised that posting this question here is like walking into a wolf den and asking for advice on whether you should get a veggie burger or a real hamburger for dinner…(hint: the answer is not going to be the veggie burger, even if the veggie burger might be best for your personal situation).
Thats a good analogy, lol... especially if you also add that the wolves in the den dont know why you wanted the veggie burger in the first place. Perhaps the wolf doctor told you to cut down on meat? Perhaps the real hamburger is outside of wolf budget?

;)

• Funny
Reactions: XPsionic
Hi, I'm location in Toronto and I ordered a Model 3 RWD a week ago (estimated delivery date was Nov-Dec) and today I got a text from a SA informing me that multiple Model 3 LR are available (over 6 different configurations). They said I can take delivery BEFORE the end of September if I choose one of the LR vehicles. Should I do it?

The total price in CAD for RWD is ~$71,500 CAD and for LR it is ~$90,500 CAD (both configs have white interior). I am wondering if this upgrade is worth it?

I am located in Toronto, Canada so I could benefit from the AWD, but the price difference is almost 20k. Any advice is appreciated!
If it fits your budget, go for it!

Reactions: DocHolliday
I have an SR+, about 2.5 years now. I purchased it over the LR because I wasn't sure of the EV experience or the reliability etc. Just too many questions for me to put down a bigger chunk for the LR. Told my wife, we're going to take a 45K gamble on the SR+. Now though, after owning for 2.5 years, and understanding much more about EVs and Telsa's reliability (for me) I would go LR/AWD, power, without hesitation. It would be worth the extra to me. Of course, depends on your budget. If you can swing it, do it.

Repeating what everyone else said here: If it fits your budget, go for it, you will not regret it.

Here are some range ratings (Canada in km) based on various conditions. How often would you drive more than that before getting home to recharge?
VersionConditionRange (km)
RWDNew, charged to 100% (Tesla recommended)436
LRNew, charged to 100%576
LRNew, charged to 80% (Tesla recommended for daily)461
RWDNew, charged to 70% (for least capacity loss, but charge to 100% weekly to keep BMS in sync)307
LRNew, charged to 55% (for least capacity loss)317
RWD4% capacity loss, charged to 100% (common reported first year capacity loss)419
LR10% capacity loss, charged to 100% (common reported first year capacity loss)518

Reactions: IndyGopher
Based on the above table, the LR's range advantage in typical daily driving is minimal, if you charge either to Tesla's recommendation for daily driving, or to the levels that are probably optimal for minimizing capacity loss.

However, if do drive longer distances frequently, the extra 140km (new) or 99km (after typically reported capacity loss in the first year) of range could be an advantage to the LR. Is it worth an extra $20k to you?

Here are some range ratings (Canada in km) based on various conditions. How often would you drive more than that before getting home to recharge?
VersionConditionRange (km)
RWDNew, charged to 100% (Tesla recommended)436
LRNew, charged to 100%576
LRNew, charged to 80% (Tesla recommended for daily)461
RWDNew, charged to 70% (for least capacity loss, but charge to 100% weekly to keep BMS in sync)307
LRNew, charged to 55% (for least capacity loss)317
RWD4% capacity loss, charged to 100% (common reported first year capacity loss)419
LR10% capacity loss, charged to 100% (common reported first year capacity loss)518

Not sure where this chart is coming from, but it has some false statements in here, stating things tesla has said that they never have.

What is false about Tesla recommending charging RWD (LFP battery) to 100% or charging LR (NCA battery) to 80% for daily?

Tesla has never, ever said anything at all about charging to 80%. The rest of those numbers in there are crowd sourced, but its absolutely not true that tesla recommended 80% for any daily charging.

The closest thing from tesla (which isnt really official) is a statement from elon to "charge to 90 or 95%)

Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 7.16.24 PM.png

The tesla manual, nor any other official source from tesla mentions anything about any charging percentage other than keeping it plugged in all the time, and setting the charge somewhere in the range of 50-90% for daily use.

Reactions: Birdsfan and jdw
Depends on what you value...

If you want crazy EV acceleration (not that the 3 RWD is a slouch.. it's still 1.5-2.0 seconds faster than the Ioniq 5, EV6, ID.4 RWD cars) then you have to pick LR.

If you want long range for those extended trips to areas with limited charging options then it's LR. 3 RWD is generally fine. I took a few 250 miles trips with only a short pee break inbetween. It only begins to be a benefit for 600-1000 mile trips where you now have to stop 1-2 extra times with the RWD.

I would love for a Model RWD LR.. which is sort of why I ended up with a BMW i4.

If I were in your shoes.. probably the LR if you can swing the extra $20K. Otherwise the 3 RWD is a lot of fun and is insanely efficient (220 Wh/mile lifetime for me with 70% highways).