Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sales advisor offered me a Model 3 LR upgrade ready for pick up THIS week [Sep 2022]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am stunned by the prices(even after the exchange rate).
Is this new LR a performance model? +$65k in USD for a generic LR is unbelievable.

I know a few people who have RWD in cold climates and they regret it, but the price of the potential upgrade is a significant factor to consider.

I am stunned by the prices(even after the exchange rate).
Is this new LR a performance model? +$65k in USD for a generic LR is unbelievable.

I know a few people who have RWD in cold climates and they regret it, but the price of the potential upgrade is a significant factor to consider.
What do you mean? It's almost the exact same price in US and Canada when you convert it (including taxes). I don't know the tax % in US states, but in Ontario it's 13%.

What do you mean? It's almost the exact same price in US and Canada when you convert it (including taxes). I don't know the tax % in US states, but in Ontario it's 13%.

Its Human nature for people to judge things by what they themselves would do, or did do. Additionally, people tend to judge value by what they would pay, or did pay.

Using myself as an example, I like Levi's Jeans. I always buy them on sale, either from Levi's themselves or from some retailer... but only when they are on sale, because their value to me is what I pay for them on sale. They are not "worth" the MSRP price to me.

Bringing this back to Cars (Tesla), anyone who bought these cars at lower pricing is going to feel either that they got a good deal, or that the current pricing is "ridiculous", or both. In actuality, one has to look at what it costs "now" not what it used to cost last year or two years ago (at least people purchasing now have to do that).

Reactions: XPsionic
Its Human nature for people to judge things by what they themselves would do, or did do. Additionally, people tend to judge value by what they would pay, or did pay.

Using myself as an example, I like Levi's Jeans. I always buy them on sale, either from Levi's themselves or from some retailer... but only when they are on sale, because their value to me is what I pay for them on sale. They are not "worth" the MSRP price to me.

Bringing this back to Cars (Tesla), anyone who bought these cars at lower pricing is going to feel either that they got a good deal, or that the current pricing is "ridiculous", or both. In actuality, one has to look at what it costs "now" not what it used to cost last year or two years ago (at least people purchasing now have to do that).
I just got my new 2022 LR AWD delivered on September 5. Ordered it in March at a price of $54,900. I don't consider that a good deal because that's literally what everyone in the United States paid for this car if they ordered it around that time.

13%??? Wow ok that makes sense and starts to even out the equation(I didn't realize you included sales tax). My state doesn't have sales tax so that's a check in the plus column.
$90k isn't what it sounds like so I'd go for it!

My buddy got RWD near me in New Hampshire. I tried to talk him out of it. He literally got stuck in his in-law's driveway on the second snowstorm last winter lol.
When it snows at all he can't get up my driveway while my AWD is soooo smooth. It cuts through the snow like butter. When my friend comes over, he parks on the road.
Well maybe your buddy need winter tires or more winter driving experience.

I've had many a RWD over the past 45 years driving and have yet to get stuck with the proper tires on.

Reactions: unhyphy and afadeev
Let us know which way your leaning towards. I would agree to get as much range as you can at the time of purchase. it's not something you can add later. Sort of like purchasing a laptop years ago. You get as much RAM as you could afford because it was not something easy to add later.
I do understand that a RWD M3 is so much more efficient and may save you on the electric bill.

I’ve got a 22’ MYLR and we’re going to pick up another Tesla. We were contemplating another MYLR ($24K+ more than what we paid) and then a M3LR (about $6K+ more than our MYLR) and have decided as a second car that won’t see as much use as our MY to get a M3RWD. Still like $69K CAD OTD which sucks.

If this is your only I’d get the MYLR but that’s only if it suits your budget. Personally I like to pay cash for things and not finance cars but whatever suits your needs you should go with.

Reactions: DocHolliday
My buddy got RWD near me in New Hampshire. I tried to talk him out of it. He literally got stuck in his in-law's driveway on the second snowstorm last winter lol.
When it snows at all he can't get up my driveway while my AWD is soooo smooth. It cuts through the snow like butter. When my friend comes over, he parks on the road.
Your buddy is either not a skilled winter driver or he had summer tires on. I have a 22 RWD with LFP and have zero issues driving it in the snow. I live at a high altitude and have feet of snow on the ground that I drive through. I have nokian snows on in the winter and haven’t once gotten even close to stuck.

This question is really a personal question. You’ll have every one of us telling you to do one thing or another. But at the end of the day I suppose you ordered the RWD for a financial reason or just the sheer fun of driving rwd.

Do what’s best for you and your family.

Fwiw: wheh I ordered my 3 a year ago I was supposed to take delivery June 22. They tried to deliver in Nov 21 to which I put on hold and took delivery 2/22. Their delivery dates are nothing more than estimates.

Thread add. I live in Tulsa Oklahoma and have to drive to the DFW airport about 6 times a month, it's about 250 miles. I know either way I will be charging the car if get the LR or RWD car... I think in my case I need the LR version, but I am concerned with charging the battery to 100% to frequently. Is that a problem if you do it to many times? The allure of being able to charge the RWD to 100% without battery degradation seems pretty nice.

Thread add. I live in Tulsa Oklahoma and have to drive to the DFW airport about 6 times a month, it's about 250 miles. I know either way I will be charging the car if get the LR or RWD car... I think in my case I need the LR version, but I am concerned with charging the battery to 100% to frequently. Is that a problem if you do it to many times? The allure of being able to charge the RWD to 100% without battery degradation seems pretty nice.
Use Abetterrouteplanner and see... I just plugged in your route, with a RWD LFP battery, you'll have to charge twice, almost 5 hours 30 mins total time, starting at 90% and arriving at the airport with 10%. Same drive with the LR, it's a 4 hour 9 minute drive with only one 6 min charge.

It's not even close, if I were you I'd get the LR for sure. The reason why there's such a huge difference is because of the lack of Superchargers on route, with the RWD you'll have to drive through OKC, with the LR you can drive through Denison instead.
If you depart with 100% battery, in theory you could get to Denison with the RWD with 10% left. But if you encounter head winds or colder temperatures, you'll have to slow down or run into issues. Especially after the battery degrades a few percentage point over time.

TLDR: @FinerThings get a LR for your specific usage scenario.

Last edited: