Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sales Calls in the Model 3, Gas Verses Electric

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any other sales people using the Model 3 out there? Please post your thoughts on the gas verses electric comparison.

My sales job requires long drives, 8-12 hour drives are common. I bought the P3D but did not pay the $5k extra for Autopilot because I thought it was worth only $2500 and I thought the car would have adaptive cruise (it did not!). So yes the Model 3 is superior for my drives:
  • I am not as fatigued. If I had adaptive cruise it would be even better.
  • It is quieter.
  • It is more comfortable except for the sun glare. This car needs window tint even on the windscreen.
  • The car doesn't get "tired". Most gasoline engines get tired (sluggish) after 125 miles, I can feel they want a rest. Electric motors are absolutely superior.
  • The stereo system is superior. Better sound and better song selection.
  • The phone integration into the car audio is way superior. I don't need a headset now.

Any other sales people using the Model 3 out there? Please post your thoughts on the gas verses electric comparison.

My sales job requires long drives, 8-12 hour drives are common. I bought the P3D but did not pay the $5k extra for Autopilot because I thought it was worth only $2500 and I thought the car would have adaptive cruise (it did not!). So yes the Model 3 is superior for my drives:
  • It is quieter.
  • It is more comfortable except for the sun glare. This car needs window tint even on the windscreen.
  • The car doesn't get "tired". Most gasoline engines get tired (sluggish) after 125 miles, I can feel they want a rest. Electric motors are absolutely superior.
  • The phone integration into the car audion is way superior. I don't need a headset now.
Not sure why you bought the Performance version and justified that cost but didn't instead buy AP when you commonly drive 8-12 hours. I'm questioning your logic and common sense based on that. Maybe with the Perf you got 'free' supercharging but I'm curious if you did that math on how long that take to pay off.

When did you take delivery? Like you, I thought TACC was standard and did not get EAP as I didn't think it was worth $5k. But when they offered base AP for $2k, I bit. Just took a 400-mile round-trip last weekend and found AP very useful on the freeways. In the city, not so much. Did you not have the $2k option before it went away?

Reactions: APotatoGod
gas verses electric comparison

Did somebody say GAS??
Arco's got your back..they now have gas ads running on TMC..how you like them apples??

Capture.JPG

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
I'm not in sales, but I do some road trips on occasion for my job. I've done many trips in my previous model S and in my model 3's. I love doing road trips in them for many reasons, some of which you outlined in your original post.

However, as good a car as the Teslas are, I can no longer imagine doing a road trip without AutoPilot. It is the single largest jump in convenience of any car feature I've had in the past 20 years. The only previous feature that comes close would be moving-map navigation displays which appeared in the early 2000s.

At $2K or $3K, you'll look back in a year calling it the best money you ever spent, considering you drive 8-12 hour trips.

Okay here we go :)

I am in a very similar boat. Do many, many client calls all over NE. Did a trip all around Maine earlier this week, on top of all the other trips. I think I have been averaging 750-1250 miles a week on a busy week I would guess. I also have no home or work charging, all SC.

This car is hands down the best, absolutely no comparison for me. I had an Audi before this, Toyota FR-S before that, F-150 before that. We also had in the family stable a Volvo XC90 (new style), BMW M5, and Prius Prime I frequented. Been all over the place:)

The Model 3 is the best balance of all worlds. I love this car more than I thought I would. It is incredibly fast (P3D) when I feel sporty, and very cushy when I don't feel as sporty and need to relax. It is no S-Class, but is very comfortable. Oh and I ahave ma tall torso, most sedans and many SUV my head hits the roof (or is within an inch); this is the first car I have ever owned where I have a sold 4-6 inches! No more head bangs!

As for the road trips, I have to say you are crazy to not have AP. I love, love, love driving, but on my long days, after driving many hours, it is such a relief to have and nice to have a backup if I am more on the tired side. My AP broke last week when an update failed, and I forgot how much more stressful a very long drive is after a long day. With AP, I arrive to places feeling relaxed. I never realized the mental drain driving puts on someone until I had AP and it broke. It is not perfect, but driving in the middle Lane of a highway, it is incredibly impressive. It is not full autonomy, but gives most of the benefits of full autonomy on the highway (less fatigue). If you drive that much, you have to get AP.

The other silly things, having a remote app and instant heat are amazing.

I have had to drive an ICE a few times, and it feels so backwards to me now. I don't miss them in the slightest. And the SC network is so robust that it is hard to out yourself in a bad position. I am a planner so planning ahead to charge is fun for me, but if it's not fun for you, it still is very easy.

Note this is coming from someone who loves driving and spent 6 months searching for my last Audi, as it had to be a sport package with a manual!

Also, to directly address your questions:
When you drive with AP, you will not even realize how much more relaxed and less fatigued you will feel. (At least my experience)
  • It is quieter.
I actually disagree. The 3 is much louder than my Audi was on the highway (wind noise). This is one big complaint for me. Much nicer on urban roads though.
I have no issue, but am in NE
Sorry. Not a thing. EV is superior, but ICE does not get tired in that manner.
Way better than any stock system, but no where near where I want it :)
  • The phone integration into the car audio is way superior. I don't need a headset now.
It is HORRIBLE in my car. Tons of connection issues, quality is garbage for person on other end, randomly drops, and there are no good onscreen controls for conference calls (my Audi had that). I have a open ticket here, but have had the issues on multiple phones. Heard there is no noise cancelling mic.

Hope that is what you were looking for!

None worse than you "feeling the engine needs a rest after 125 miles". What happens at mile 126? They keel over and die?

Where do you come up with stuff like this? As I said earlier, only in sales ...

Whoa don’t tar everyone with the same brush..:) I have an S, but don’t understand why that would disqualify me from answering OP’s question. After my AP experience, I will always have a car that has this for driving. Long drives are fatiguing, and AP helps tremendously. I use it a lot.

• It is quieter.

For confirmation, I'm recommending a re-watch of Southpark season 10, episode 2.

None worse than you "feeling the engine needs a rest after 125 miles". What happens at mile 126? They keel over and die? Where do you come up with stuff like this? As I said earlier, only in sales ...
No need to be rude Trevor, here is why I said this. I have noticed that sometimes after a long driving day some of my cars don't accelerate as hard. I am prone to accelerating hard on on-ramps etc and have noticed this. 8-10 hours of hot day driving with AC on etc, it is real. In the past I have seen this on the track where "heat soak" effects the combustion. All I am saying is the Tesla is just different/better.
Why you would say I am trying to sell this idea, just telling my friends here what I have noticed.

Okay here we go :)
As for the road trips, I have to say you are crazy to not have AP. I love, love, love driving, but on my long days, after driving many hours, it is such a relief to have and nice to have a backup if I am more on the tired side.
I have had to drive an ICE a few times, and it feels so backwards to me now. I don't miss them in the slightest.

Hope that is what you were looking for!
Wow thanks for the great post, exactly the kind of experience I was hoping for on this string!
I wanted to comment on a few of your points.
Re AP: When I bought the Tesla I thought I was going to want to drive the car and that I would not really want AP. I found I was definitely wrong after Tesla gave me AP free for a month. Anyway I will be adding this feature when it comes down a bit more.
Re ICE cars: It is so strange to look at ICE cars and not want any of them. I have been a gear-head my whole life and they really do seem backwards as you say.
Thanks Nate, cheers!

Wow thanks for the great post, exactly the kind of experience I was hoping for on this string!
I wanted to comment on a few of your points.
Re AP: When I bought the Tesla I thought I was going to want to drive the car and that I would not really want AP. I found I was definitely wrong after Tesla gave me AP free for a month. Anyway I will be adding this feature when it comes down a bit more.
Re ICE cars: It is so strange to look at ICE cars and not want any of them. I have been a gear-head my whole life and they really do seem backwards as you say.
Thanks Nate, cheers!

On the AP, I felt the same. I love to drive the car so much, but after 6 hours driving and it's midnight, it's just nice to relax. Or if I am on an intense call. Or I haven't had my coffee yet :) I do think I would doubt pricing will go lower than it is, but guessing Tesla pricing is a fools game, so I probably will be wrong!

As with ICE, I feel the same. We took over a lease for 7 months on a 2016 M5 with the Dinan tune and it was the most perfect send off for an ICE, but I do not miss them at all. I am a complete gear head and was very worried EV would kill what I love about car culture, but after having one, I think it enhances it!