Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sales Tax Exemption returns

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a SR+ (Blue on White) on order (actually was matched with a car that's just waiting to ship to me). My delivery advisor just emailed me to say that "After Aug 5th the contracts guys will have the system updated to reflect the sales tax exemption". This matches what I've heard others saying. So.... for those WA people that have a SR+ on order or are going to jump on one, it sounds like by Monday they should be able to process it with the exemption.

I called DOR the other day and they weren't suuuuuuper sure, but they basically came to the agreement that it's sticker price. So all upgrades (paint, wheels, AWD, etc) AND doc/destination fee all need to be included and under the $45k limit to get the exemption. Again this basically limits it to SR/SR+ cars, but you can pack on some decent upgrades. FSD seems like an issue that'll push you over the price limit on most SR+ builds though, so add that after delivery but before Musk bumps the price...

I have a SR+ (Blue on White) on order (actually was matched with a car that's just waiting to ship to me). My delivery advisor just emailed me to say that "After Aug 5th the contracts guys will have the system updated to reflect the sales tax exemption". This matches what I've heard others saying. So.... for those WA people that have a SR+ on order or are going to jump on one, it sounds like by Monday they should be able to process it with the exemption.

I called DOR the other day and they weren't suuuuuuper sure, but they basically came to the agreement that it's sticker price. So all upgrades (paint, wheels, AWD, etc) AND doc/destination fee all need to be included and under the $45k limit to get the exemption. Again this basically limits it to SR/SR+ cars, but you can pack on some decent upgrades. FSD seems like an issue that'll push you over the price limit on most SR+ builds though, so add that after delivery but before Musk bumps the price...

This is good info. It’s unfortunate that they are looking out potential AWD M3 owners. Limit should have been $50K hehe

This is good info. It’s unfortunate that they are looking out potential AWD M3 owners. Limit should have been $50K hehe

I do think they should have looked at the long range option or have written in the option to approve vehicles down the line. There really isn’t any difference between a SR+ and a LR AWD when it comes to “luxury” or anything. I can see them wanting the tax exemption not to be used on $100k+ ultra lux cars for people that should be able to afford that perfectly fine, but there is a very real utilitarian benefit to the 75kW battery vs 50kW and plenty of owners might be able to stretch the budget to get that extra range, especially if the exemption applied. (Myself included.)

I could understand keeping the P out of it though.

Reactions: im.thatoneguy