Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sales Tax On Pre-Owned Purchased Out of State?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just purchased a used Tesla through their website and no license fees nor registrations fees were included. They provided a temporary plate and told me the title and closing paperwork would be mailed. At the time of registration at my ocal DMV I expect to pay the sales tax.

I just purchased a used Tesla through their website and no license fees nor registrations fees were included. They provided a temporary plate and told me the title and closing paperwork would be mailed. At the time of registration at my ocal DMV I expect to pay the sales tax.
Perfect, thanks for the quick response. How has the experience been so far, for you?

Perfect, thanks for the quick response. How has the experience been so far, for you?
Outstanding. Pushed the buy button March 5. Tesla communication was prompt. Car was ready for pickup march 13. I picked it up March 14 and the car exceeded my expectations. Kudos to the Chicago Delivery Center. Started a 1300 mile plus solo road trip two days later and arrived refreshed after two days. So far, a very happy camper.

I'm in NJ and bought a CPO in Jan through their website. The car was in NY and they brought it to NJ for delivery without me asking for it. I was ready to go to NY to pick it up. The only addition to the sale price was about $150 in state title and registration. Got my plates by FedEx in about 10 days.