Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sales Tax - Picking up Model X in another state

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all, I live in NC and I will be picking up LR+ from FL on Friday. I am picking it up to avoid $2000 transportation fees. How will the tax situation work in my case? Do I have to pay tax in both states? NC tax is 3% and FL tax is 6%+ and my work order shows 3%. I have read some issues about double tax situations and want to make sure.

Also, what version Tesla charger is this? I have gotten this on Craigslist for a very good price. Model Number: 1011831-00-D

Thanks in advance

View attachment 555959 View attachment 555960

I don’t know if that’s right (pay based on where you register). I talked to an SA today about picking up in CA but title and reg in MN and they said I have to pay CA sales tax. I would ask again to clarify. Each state is different so maybe FL let’s you pay tax in your state.

Reactions: VikH
Since AL does not have any Tesla businesses, I was charged no tax at the delivery in GA. But when I registered my vehicle I had to pay the full amount, including tax on the delivery charge (which I felt was unfair). It was basically treated as a private party sale. This was for a used MX, not sure if new vehicle sales would be any different,

I live in NC and have purchased many cars out of state. In every case a drive out tag was issued good for 30 days and I paid the 3% NC tax when I registered the car. Never paid a dime to other states. You must have the MSO to register it in NC. Don’t leave without it!