Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sales tax rate different among different Seattle area SCs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since sales rate depends on the delivery center location, anyone know the difference in sales tax rates among the Seattle area SCs? Namely the ones in Fife, Renton, Seattle, Lynnwood, and Bellevue? I know the standard WA state sales tax is 6.8% plus 0.3% motor vehicle tax, but not sure about the local city/county taxes.

Since sales rate depends on the delivery center location, anyone know the difference in sales tax rates among the Seattle area SCs? Namely the ones in Fife, Renton, Seattle, Lynnwood, and Bellevue? I know the standard WA state sales tax is 6.8% plus 0.3% motor vehicle tax, but not sure about the local city/county taxes.
You can do a google search for Washington State sales tax rates by county and city... And you would get to this page:

Thanks, that helps a lot! Kinda annoyed I have to pick up the car from a SC with the highest tax rate (Lynnwood, 10.6%)........I live in a non RTA area and my local tax rate is only 8.7%.
I was in the same situation, but Tesla sent me a check refunding what I thought was the RTA tax. A little over $500.
I register my vehicles in a non-RTA area.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: hmmwv
I was in the same situation, but Tesla sent me a check refunding what I thought was the RTA tax. A little over $500.
I register my vehicles in a non-RTA area.
Thanks, glad to hear that there might be a process to handle that, I'll be sure to ask the SA at my delivery appointment.
I'm kinda bummed that my delivery SC (Lynnwood) is clear across town and has the highest sales tax resulting in some $350 more sales tax, oh well.

Thanks, glad to hear that there might be a process to handle that, I'll be sure to ask the SA at my delivery appointment.
I'm kinda bummed that my delivery SC (Lynnwood) is clear across town and has the highest sales tax resulting in some $350 more sales tax, oh well.
We were in the same situation. We switched our delivery to Seattle from Lynwood, saving about $150 In sales tax. The sales advisor was able to change our pick up location. The RTA tax is payed as part of registration, that is based on your registration address not delivery location. Sales tax is delivery location. So you should get part of your registration fee back from Tesla, they can only charge you the actual registration fee.

We were in the same situation. We switched our delivery to Seattle from Lynwood, saving about $150 In sales tax. The sales advisor was able to change our pick up location. The RTA tax is payed as part of registration, that is based on your registration address not delivery location. Sales tax is delivery location. So you should get part of your registration fee back from Tesla, they can only charge you the actual registration fee.
Yeah changing from Lynnwood to Fife will save about $300 in sales tax, but since my car is already at Lynnwood changing delivery location means rejecting the VIN and wait for the next one, that's something I don't want to do and risk not getting the car until after March.