TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Sales tax rebate for a trade in and where to take delivery....

Discussion in 'Texas' started by pete8314, Dec 9, 2012.

1. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

With all the issues about 'buying' a Tesla in Texas, how do things work if I have a trade-in? Do I still get the benefit of only paying Texas sales tax on the balance?

Also, I was originally planning a factory collection. If I did that, would I still get the benefit of no sales tax on the trade-in value, given that CA doesn't allow that?

Finally, if I did the factory collection, then I'd be able to roll the sales tax into the financing (I think) as that would show on the MVPA, whereas it wouldn't for Tx, correct?

Lots of questions....in summary, what I'd ideally like to do is benefit from not paying sales tax on the trade-in amount, and be able to finance the sales tax on the Model S purchase. If I could do both those things, I don't really care where I have to take delivery. Is this possible?

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

You'll pay almost 3% more for the car if you do a factory delivery (CA sales tax) so you should factor that in as well.

3. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

That'll be refunded eventually by Texas, I think?

Chances are good that ill skip on the factory collection to save a bit of money, but I'd still like to trade in my car and save the sales tax, and be able to finance the rest of the sales tax. Is there a way, for a Texas resident??

4. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Texas paying something California took from you? This is where secession talk comes from. ;)