Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salesman gives me EAP, 6 months later, Tesla takes it away via OTA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While this is 100% true, Tesla should be aware that this is their problem, and stick by what their employees say while working behind the scenes to ensure that customers are given accurate information. Obviously some people will lie and cheat to get any freebie they can, but in this scenario it had to have been an employee who changed the configuration (assuming this is what really happened) so a little flexibility can go a long way. I would hate for Tesla to lose future sales over something so trivial.

I don't fine the lack of integrity they showed as trivial. Its a core problem right now. They just took a $2,000 option I was told I was entitled to and removed it.

I have faith they will be able to make changes. Otherwise, they will remain, just another stealership.

I don't fine the lack of integrity they showed as trivial. Its a core problem right now.
They just took a $2,000 option I was told I was entitled to and removed it.

I have faith they will be able to make changes. Otherwise, they will remain, just another stealership.

I agree 100%...don't listen to the Naysayers. :cool:
Take a look at this thread... the OP was finally able to get Tesla to do the right thing.

Tesla YANKED FSD option without notice - Class Action lawsuit? Any Lawyers here?

All, once again - Thank you all for your support and sympathy!
A couple of hours ago I have got a call from Elon! Just joking!

It was a customer experience rep, she apologized for my troubles, told me that Tesla has restored all missed options cited a miscommunication and it was not intentionally!
I am out of town and away from my car till tomorrow and once back will confirm if at least EAP was restored. I will report back.

Last edited:
This happened a few months ago, but I have been reluctant to make it public. But I am seeing more and more of how poorly Tesla is treating customers and not meeting them half way or being understanding. Its another Goliath vs. regular people......

I purchased my 2019 SR+ on March 30, 2019 from the Dania Beach, FL store during the big delivery push. I did a test drive (6 miles on surface streets) and put a deposit on the 29th and was asked if I wanted to take the car home now. I said no, I'll be in the next day (30th) with my trade in.

The next day after I checked the Autopilot box (just AP and FSD were available) on the order, the salesman told me that because I was taking delivery today and buying AP I would get the advanced autopilot features as well. I didn't know it at the time, but I learned later this was enhanced autopilot. I thought i was just AP at the time and did not know to look for this designation in the paperwork.

When I drove the car home it did was running the premium version of the of the software. The next day it was changed to the SR+ configuration with AP and the advanced features.

So about 5-6 months later (and one 6,100 mile road trip) I got an email saying that because I had EAP I could get FSD for $3,000. I don't think FSD will really happen, but I did want the HW 3.0 because HW 2.5 is just too laggy in some scenarios.

I called my dealer where I was told I don't have EAP I only have AP. I told them, no, I do have EAP and the guy checked it out and found my car had been configured with EAP. He told me I would have to contact the main customer service.

This begins 3 weeks of back and forth, disbelief, being told "that never happened" (where I asked the gentleman if he hand been standing next to me and that he could check with the salesman). They refused to honor what the salesman told me and the change that had been made to my car's software to give me EAP. I asked them to verify it with the salesman. They did not (I learned later he no longer worked for Tesla, I wonder why). The thought either it was already the car or a "glitch". (a glitch? really???) I ask them if they checked the change order to switch the car to EAP. They said they did not and the never did check it. wtf tesla?

I went back to the dealer and talked to one of the managers (each time I go in there it a different person). She said that there hadn't been any authorized free AP upgrades. I asked to speak to the salesman and that's when I learned that he no longer worked there. I asked about the change order. They said there was one changing setting EAP on for the car, but ... they did not know who submitted it..... again... wtf Tesla?....

I told them it wasn't me and that was proof. I told her I couldn't be the only person that the salesman told and did this for. Had they looked for other customers that were issued EAP's that weekend. She said she didn't know. She refused to talk any more about it and that was the end of that.

Shortly after that, as I was driving down the interstate, I learned the hard why that Tesla had removed EAP. again.... wtf Tesla? No heads up? I had to find it out will driving?

Needless to say it has not been a pleasant experience dealing with yet another stealership and the learning the dark side of OTA. I am sure there is a law against a dealer removing options once a car drives off the lot, but I don't have the money to spend on a lawyer and me calling around to the county government offices trying to find out the law was a useless exercise.

The whole thing has soured me on Tesla as a car company. Lied to by a salesman? Cheated by the managers of the dealership/company? This goes to the character of the management of the car side of Tesla.

Same situation here. And you didn’t buy EAP. If your MVPA said Autopilot, then you were sold Autopilot. Many demo / floor vehicles are sold with EAP configured off the lot. Each OTA will check and eventually remove what you didn’t pay for. No one can stop you from ranting and venting about it but know that you got what you paid for.

Now, if your MVPA said Enhanced AutoPilot, then they’ll restore it for you within a day.

[...] Many demo / floor vehicles are sold with EAP configured off the lot. Each OTA will check and eventually remove what you didn’t pay for. [...]
And THIS is Tesla's problem. They need to stop doing that, and configure the car's CORRECTLY the moment the transaction is finalized right before it leaves their lot/possession. That would pretty much prevent all of these issues (and threads) from becoming a massive pain for the new owners.

Same situation here. And you didn’t buy EAP. If your MVPA said Autopilot, then you were sold Autopilot. Many demo / floor vehicles are sold with EAP configured off the lot. Each OTA will check and eventually remove what you didn’t pay for. No one can stop you from ranting and venting about it but know that you got what you paid for.

Now, if your MVPA said Enhanced AutoPilot, then they’ll restore it for you within a day.

It will happen again and again, until after Tesla will clarify their AP/software policy - does FSD/software stays with the car (Microsoft Windows model) or it stays with the current user (Microsoft Office 365 subscription model).
Otherwise, we as end users/consumers never find a proper responsible party. While I do not like but can tolerate the policy of removing whatever Tesla wants before the sale, and I think it should be illegal and prosecuted if anyone removes anything from the sold vehicle (yes, even a bag with stashed cash, if the car came with it).

It will happen again and again, until after Tesla will clarify their AP/software policy

It's already crystal clear.

Any software features purchased by the original buyer stay with the car in private sale.

If the car is sold back to Tesla then those features can be removed or changed by Tesla. The next buyer FROM Tesla would get whatever their paperwork says the car comes with. That's on the buyer to check (as this car dealer appears to have not done or not understood).

The connectivity FAQ even spells this out- explaining that private party used car sales of cars that have lifetime premium connectivity will retain it across owners- but used cars sold BY tesla after a certain date would NOT come with this even if they came with it for the original owner.

It will happen again and again, until after Tesla will clarify their AP/software policy - does FSD/software stays with the car (Microsoft Windows model) or it stays with the current user (Microsoft Office 365 subscription model).
Otherwise, we as end users/consumers never find a proper responsible party. While I do not like but can tolerate the policy of removing whatever Tesla wants before the sale, and I think it should be illegal and prosecuted if anyone removes anything from the sold vehicle (yes, even a bag with stashed cash, if the car came with it).

It is pretty clear when it comes to resale.

And as for what you paid for, it’s on your MVPA. If the car came with additional software, in rare cases, it’ll be removed eventually. I understand the frustration but you didn’t pay for it. There’s no legal grounds for anyone to fight if something was adjusted to match your MVPA a little later. Hey, I’d love to free load myself but that’s not how it works. We are in a new era of cars that now come with “heavy duty apps” such as an FSD package. It’ll be a while before some of these things get addressed. And no, it’s not like removing cash per your example. I see it as - you drove away, didn’t pay for premium floor mats, but they forgot them in your trunk. They later came over and collected them from you.

It's already crystal clear.

Any software features purchased by the original buyer stay with the car in private sale.

If the car is sold back to Tesla then those features can be removed or changed by Tesla. The next buyer FROM Tesla would get whatever their paperwork says the car comes with. That's on the buyer to check (as this car dealer appears to have not done or not understood).

The connectivity FAQ even spells this out- explaining that private party used car sales of cars that have lifetime premium connectivity will retain it across owners- but used cars sold BY tesla after a certain date would NOT come with this even if they came with it for the original owner.
Unfortunately, it is not crystal clear- Tesla sells cars at auctions on AS-IS (buy what you see) basis with no so-called a vehicle condition report (not sure why, either the auction house does not care/force Tesla to supply one, or just careless/cost cutting on Tesla's side.) So, anyone buys the auctioned car should expect to keep everything whatever was present at the sale.
The OP should have and able to keep whatever was present and documented at the time when car left Tesla's lot in FL.

• Helpful
Reactions: Evoforce

Read it again... I did not have EAP, nor did I know that what I was getting. as far as i was concerned it was still AP with more capiblities... It was changed by a change order and the car was then EAP.

And THIS is Tesla's problem. They need to stop doing that, and configure the car's CORRECTLY the moment the transaction is finalized right before it leaves their lot/possession. That would pretty much prevent all of these issues (and threads) from becoming a massive pain for the new owners.

They did configure it properly based on what the salesman told me. It was so busy in the afternoon that the change was executed the next day. The manager confirmed a change order had been placed.

I just didn't know that it was called EAP. I thought the extra features were all part of AP.

Unfortunately, it is not crystal clear- Tesla sells cars at auctions on AS-IS (buy what you see) basis with no so-called a vehicle condition report (not sure why, either the auction house does not care/force Tesla to supply one, or just careless/cost cutting on Tesla's side.) So, anyone buys the auctioned car should expect to keep everything whatever was present at the sale.
The OP should have and able to keep whatever was present and documented at the time when car left Tesla's lot in FL.

If I had known it was called EAP I would have. However, I did not know that and I trusted my Tesla salesman. Apparently that was a major mistake.

And this is why people don't realize how valuable the dealer network really is.

Tesla has a long way to go before they can be considered a good car company. My car had paint issues that they refused to fix, so I got over it. A dealership wouldn't have even thought twice and you know why?? Because I can go to their competitor 20 minutes down the road and buy the same car for the same price, but get better service. Live and learn, won't be buying another Tesla with new competition on horizon.

With Tesla, you're stuck with the shitty service at every location in the country. And the next closest dealership/service center is another two hours apart, so good luck.

I like to equate the direct to consumer model as like working for the big corporations, all they see you as is a number on their computer and don't give two fuks about you. My local dealership, the guy knows my name and always asks how I'm doing etc etc.

Tesla cars sell themselves, if they didn't they would be in for a rude awakening.