Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salt Damage Winter Driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess one would think that the Model S has far less to go wrong then a regular combustion engine car, but how does this fair in the winter? I've had a Model S for over a year now, and have been through one winter without any problems, but I continue to wonder how well does the Model S hold up to salt damage? Which creeks and cracks does it get into and what kind of long term effects does this have on the components of the car? Obviously the aluminum body won't be affected as much but steel still exists on the underside, control arms, suspension components, etc. Anyone starting to notice rust build up?

Looking forward to your responses.

I sprayed the under side with ACF-50. Its for airplanes and safe on electrical systems and has been vigorously tested. Since our cars are built like airplanes I just went ahead and sprayed it into the handles and folding mirrors as well. So far so good after two winters.

I just did it myself. I have no idea if a shop would do it but I'm sure you could pull in to your local airstrip and ask an aircraft mechanic to do it. Probably charge you $100. I see you're in Toronto. You can pick some up at Aircraft Spruce Canada.

I noticed quite a bit of corrosion on the aluminum body member parts that bolt together over the front wheels.
Pop off the plastic covers on each side the frunk and have a look. Fuzzy white power (aluminum oxides and salts) on the metal-to-metal seams and around the bolt-to-metal contact points. This place gets wet in wet driving conditions...
I am a little worried about that.. Although these pieces are solid thick member pieces... so I'm not concerned about wearing "thin" and having holes.. but corrosion is never good.

Also, the upper front suspension "A" arms (holding upper ball joint) are ferrous metal, not aluminum. I noticed these rusting like metal does. I sprayed those with an anti-rust clear / oily / sticky goo (consistency of honey and is non-hardening), Canadian Tire variety.

Will the spray suggested above help with this area too?

Is there a cleaning process before coating?

I noticed quite a bit of corrosion on the aluminum body member parts that bolt together over the front wheels.
Pop off the plastic covers on each side the frunk and have a look. Fuzzy white power (aluminum oxides and salts) on the metal-to-metal seams and around the bolt-to-metal contact points. This place gets wet in wet driving conditions...
I am a little worried about that.. Although these pieces are solid thick member pieces... so I'm not concerned about wearing "thin" and having holes.. but corrosion is never good.

Also, the upper front suspension "A" arms (holding upper ball joint) are ferrous metal, not aluminum. I noticed these rusting like metal does. I sprayed those with an anti-rust clear / oily / sticky goo (consistency of honey and is non-hardening), Canadian Tire variety.

Will the spray suggested above help with this area too?

Is there a cleaning process before coating?

Can you show a picture of this? I have ordered ACF and want to make sure i hit these areas...

I sprayed the under side with ACF-50. Its for airplanes and safe on electrical systems and has been vigorously tested. Since our cars are built like airplanes I just went ahead and sprayed it into the handles and folding mirrors as well. So far so good after two winters.

Interesting. I've never heard of ACF-50 but I found it on Ebay:

2 Pack ACF-50 Anti Corrosion Formula Aerosol Spray Lubricant 13oz Lear Chemical | eBay

I'm thinking about doing this too. Any tips? Does it damage the paint if there's over-spray? Did you prep the vehicle in any way before spraying? Thanks.

I just sprayed it all over the bare aluminum pieces in the wheel wells and along the bottom the length of the car. There's a lot of crud that accumulates there so best to vacuum it up or blow it away with compressed air first. The ACF spray wicks into all the nooks and crannies and displaces the water. For airplanes they say to do it every two years but I'm doing a very light spray yearly. Also about aluminum corroding, the oxide layer actually prevents further corroding underneath it so it would take a very long time to go through the frame. Airplanes have much thinner aluminum but aren't exposed to salt either so it's hard to tell what the long term effects will be on our cars.