TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Salt flat diesel race pickup

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by McRat, Jun 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. McRat

McRat Active Member

Mine was steady as a rock at just over 200 when the engine went south. Note to self, don't push four times the factory HP on stock pistons. Garrett News & Events

2. scaesare

scaesare Well-Known Member

900 HP on the Duramax. Nice. GM & Isuzu did a good job on that design.

I barely had 400HP on my '02 7.3 Powerstroke and it felt like a monster. Torque is fun... another reason I like EV's...

3. McRat

McRat Active Member

We dyno'd before we left at 936 rwhp uncorrected running pure #2 pump diesel with no water.
    I detuned it at Bonneville by 10% and injected distilled water (nothing else is legal).

Ford Racing (factory Ford) beat me a few years later with a million dollar effort. My buddy and I worked out of our garage. By 3 stinking mph. So far, no production chassis and engine diesel has ever seen 197.044 mph at Bonneville like we did.

4. bro1999

bro1999 Active Member

My ass spent over 12 hours in my Bolt's seats last Saturday. At no point did I have any back pain or even seat discomfort.

Now are the Bolt's seats the most comfortable seats ever? No, my Volt's seats are a little more comfortable. But it's not like the Bolt's seats are horrible. If the Volt's seats are an 8, the Bolt's are a 7.

5. scaesare

Impressive. Not to derail this thread too far... but I'm actually surprised you were pulling that with only 60PSI. (well I guess 75 corrected). I do like me some compound forced induction.

All the early fear about the aluminum heads, and yet those kinds of #'s. Any bottom end work?

I assume injector's/fuel system. What were your tq #'s on the dyno?

6. scaesare

(Mod: thanks for the move!)

7. McRat

McRat Active Member

We ran a Garrett GT55 into a GT42R. We could make up to 75 PSIG of boost but kept it down to 60. Fuel was the limiter. Ran fairly small injectors. Stock head gaskets with ARP studs. Dual piston oilers were the only block modification.

The final record we set was using a SoCalDiesel stroker crank that displaced 441 cu in? But the ring were wrong, and we knew it at the dyno, but Bonneville comes once a year. We ran knowing we would lose the engine.

My proudest moment was running a single GT42 in Texas, driven to the track with my 2 kids, with just 748rwhp and scared an 1100HP Dodge trailer queen:

I've always been an advocate of Clean Diesel. I can make power without blackening the sky. Gale Banks was my mentor and friend and he also believed in Clean Diesel.

8. scaesare

Cool. Impressive on stock gaskets... the studs make a big difference.

Banks stuff is good, but on the conservative side. Years ago when I was a teenager a friend of our family had a van with the the GM 6.5L diesel block (sourced by Detroit Diesel) and added a Banks PowerPack turbo to it (no intercooler that I recall). We took that thing on a cross country trip and between the power and economy, I became a diesel advocate.

I later bought a Suburban with the 6.2 and a home brew twin turbo setup (parallel, not staged). It wasn't engineered ideally. It ended up welding the rods to the crank when the oil pump failed (freak failure).

Bought a 7.3L PowerStroke (International engine) for towing, and tuned it up a bit. Never raced though.

Your setup is cool. I'm a fan of water injection also. Nice to see something that gives the Cummins boys a run for their money.