Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salty...[comment about tone of posts]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Beer tents close at 11:00pm, ya got drink something til the sun comes up.

bear-grylls-drinks-meme.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: one2many
I am new to TMC, and I am really surprised by the level of salty, sarcastic and negative comments in almost every topic - is that a Tesla thing?

If you really want to see salty, sarcastic and negative comments, head over to the Tesla factory forum. I lasted about 3 months there before running screaming from the building. I find this place "spirited", but mainly very civil!

It's a bimmerforums redux. All we need is a disgusting off-topic section & we'll be good-to-go.

That (disgusting off topic section) totally exists here.... I have to move posts to quarantine threads the mods have previously setup there, and the rest is... shrug.. here you go:

Off Topic

This forum is tame compared to others as many have already said. But there is a lot of good information here and is it is possible for potential buyers to make an informed decision based on what they find here. I know I did. Who cares if the information is delivered in a way that is not necessarily polite. If it gets irritating, take a break. You do not need to a forum to enjoy owning a Model 3.

Reactions: Carolina Karl
It's a bimmerforums redux. All we need is a disgusting off-topic section & we'll be good-to-go.

Never owned a BMW (nor wanted to) but I can say it’s fairly common across most forums ...

... I spent some time in the Cadillac forums while I owned several of those and that could get snippy too, but generally helpful.

Best car forum I ever saw for helpfulness was the Enclave forums. Everyone there was just ... pleasant. It was refreshing.

i recall the early days of the Compuserve forums (yes, i'm that old), when everyone had to register under their real names and could be traced by account number. People were so polite.

I actually miss some of those. Sincerely — 71224,3221.

• Funny
Reactions: Mr X
The forums are always fun, entertaining, and a place to get most all your questions asked. It's like watching TV though.. There's a drama channel. The documentary channel. Comedy central. Debate gate and more. I've learned a lot. Very intelligent people live here.

A last comment about the general tone of the forum. I would say, there's very few "down" thumbs on posts. Far more "up" thumbs. That indicates to me that, in general, people are far less juvenile and confrontational than what you see in other forums. When you do see "down" thumbs, it's usually someone new, who "down" thumbs a whole series of posts, which one assumes is because that's what they normally see happen in other fora.

If anything, starting a thread, by essentially insulting the members of the forum, and never returning to answer what they mean, is considered classic trollish behavior. Is that what this is? Was I being "salty"? Oops, I think that was "sarcastic".

Well I come from the Home built putting green forum. Yes this is
no joke, lots of folks mix peat and sand together and make putting greens.
There are no trolls, no joking around. Keeping one alive is an art. Why do I
feel like I an interviewing for a job now. After 4 months of lockdown I feel a little
salty. Hum.. bloody marry. I have no idea what this post is anymoe. Maybe time
for a beer.

In many ways it's an American thing. Not too bad here,
but it's part of the masochism and guilt that Americans
emanate so much of.

It would be too "uncool" to not to find fault. Yeah, Teslas
are amazing machines, Musk is right about so many
things, some say he's actually done the impossible. But
look at the 1 mm misalignments of my trunk and bonnet,
and how I have to wait for service appointments. And, feh,
he's late with delivering XYZ. I'm so much cooler than the
"fans". Look at everything that's wrong with Amerikka. And
all that lockdown.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: qdeathstar
Well, if everyone is always civil/respectful in their posts, then fine folks like jjrandorin would not have a job since there would essentially be no need to “moderate”. I’m certainly not going to begin acting like a child (with salty or insulting posts) to keep jjrandorin busy and employed... sorry jjrandorin ;)
Sadly, I think there are already enough members on this forum who continue to do their part to keep a moderator busy...

• Funny
Reactions: KenC and jjrandorin
Well, if everyone is always civil/respectful in their posts, then fine folks like jjrandorin would not have a job since there would essentially be no need to “moderate”. I’m certainly not going to begin acting like a child (with salty or insulting posts) to keep jjrandorin busy and employed... sorry jjrandorin ;)
Sadly, I think there are already enough members on this forum who continue to do their part to keep a moderator busy...

*unpaid* job (lmao). Although, as @KenC pointed out in his last post, the OP in this thread basically did something which would be considered "trolling" in many (many) other forums. New poster, drop a post in basically insulting people who are currently there, and sit back and watch the fall out.

The general tone of this thread speaks to what kind of forum this really is, and its one of the reasons I agreed to help with moderating when I was approached about it.

I found this forum very useful when I was contemplating my first Tesla vehicle purchase. My initial experience with Tesla was that either 1) I could not get a Tesla rep to return my call, or 2) If I spoke to someone at Tesla they gave me incorrect information.

If I posted a question here I got timely and accurate information. So I’ve continued to contribute so that I can help out other people who are new to Tesla and need accurate information.

Most of the members here are polite and helpful. A few are known to post snarky or inappropriate comments. I’ve learned to ignore them.