Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salvage #807

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
2010 Tesla Roadster Salvage Certificate Title Car for sale in , *VIX* at Copart Auto Auction Lot 28273451
28273451_1X.JPG

28273451_6X.JPG

We should include a warning every time we post a salvage car. Something like:

Warning! Tesla has not been selling parts to some Salvage car buyers. Some cars Tesla just don't want back on the road and you can't buy parts anywhere else.

My wife's Mercedes tank-wagon was recently rear ended, to the point where the repairs were just slightly more than the salvage value, thus the car is getting marked salvage (very frustrating the way the definition is set). Even though it could be repaired (and if we hadn't found a replacement, we would have - they're almost as rare as Roadsters!), it would always have that mark on it. Since we hadn't found the replacement until the last minute, we had researched what it meant to have a salvage vehicle. And it's not pretty, even if you could get the parts and repair it.

I wouldn't get a salvage car unless seriously backed into a corner (which we would have been in this case - there is literally no other brand she can sit in comfortably for any length of time, and we really want to stick with wagons).

My wife's Mercedes tank-wagon was recently rear ended ... Since we hadn't found the replacement until the last minute, ... ... - there is literally no other brand she can sit in comfortably for any length of time, and we really want to stick with wagons).
What is a "tank-wagon" ? What was the model that was rear-ended and did it have dynamic seats ? And what is the replacement ? -- same model ?

What is a "tank-wagon" ? What was the model that was rear-ended and did it have dynamic seats ? And what is the replacement ? -- same model ?

I would thing that the Mercedes Tank Wagon would refer to a Mercedes Wagon probably made in the 80s or early 90's either a w123 or w124 chassis?

It was an '07 E350 wagon (all wheel drive). It's so much heavier than a wagon should be ('built like a tank' - thus the tank-wagon remark). I know that's part of the brand promise (and yeah, I think she fared far better in that wagon that she would have in something else, and the wagon properly 'sacrificed itself'), but still...

It did not have the dynamic seats, and when looking for a replacement, we learned that the dynamic seats change things just enough that the seats don't work as well. And the '11/'12 non-dynamic seats are slightly different (but probably OK - it's hard to tell this close to the accident).

We got really lucky and found an '08 E350 wagon online with enough pictures that we could tell the seats didn't have the dynamic seats. Well, lucky but still crossing our fingers that when it gets here it's all good...

What really sucks is that salvage is a financial decision, not up to any mechanic, and the '07 wagon would have been just fine after repair. All that carbon debt gone to waste (well, at least to some other country where they repair such things instead of forcefully tossing them out... it's why the salvage value was apparently so high.)

And the consequences of trying to rescue a salvage vehicle are set up so that the rescuer will feel that financial pinch.