Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salvage Car Owners Support Group.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a stack of bad MCU's. Tesla's extensive logging wears out the eMMC flash and it usually gets corrupted and stops allowing writes. The only way to fix it is to replace the eMMC BGA which isn't easy. On all salvage cars I support, I disable logging to the eMMC unless we are trying to troubleshoot something that requires it. Not only does this prolong it's life extensively, but it also improves the performance of the CID in general.
You'd think that's something Tesla would engineer right or fix already. Hopefully they already have. But as with all things, you must see lots of things like this by now; every model of every manufacturer has stuff like this.

Reactions: neroden
I have a stack of bad MCU's. Tesla's extensive logging wears out the eMMC flash and it usually gets corrupted and stops allowing writes. The only way to fix it is to replace the eMMC BGA which isn't easy. On all salvage cars I support, I disable logging to the eMMC unless we are trying to troubleshoot something that requires it. Not only does this prolong it's life extensively, but it also improves the performance of the CID in general.

Speaking of, can you share how you disable logging locally? Would be very helpful. I'd ideally like to move all logging remote so nothing gets written locally), though I'm not sure how feasible that is. (I am already logging remotely, but want to make sure whatever I do to disable local logging actually prevents it from getting written to flash).

Speaking of, can you share how you disable logging locally? Would be very helpful. I'd ideally like to move all logging remote so nothing gets written locally), though I'm not sure how feasible that is. (I am already logging remotely, but want to make sure whatever I do to disable local logging actually prevents it from getting written to flash).
You have to set up a cron job (crontab -e), and call a script at @reboot. Something like:
Code:
    service rsyslog stop
    sleep 1
    killall -HUP rsyslog

See, on boot the Tegra goes to the Spansion flash and runs the code, which builds the filesystem in RAM. Then chains to it. And mounts partition 3 in the eMMC to /var and partition 4 as /home. This is why you can't disable the logging service as each time /etc (and most everything else) is built from the immutable partition 1 or 2. And it's why crontab -e is non-volatile as it's done on /var files. I put my scripts in /home somewhere.

Some ppl move logging to the SD card, but those of us with 2015 and newer don't have an SD card. Tesla uses Upstart and hasn't graduated to systemd yet. May never on the MCU1's.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: appleguru
So I was forced to file a complaint with NHTSA. I begged National Customer Service to not make me do this, as I love Tesla and fully support Elon, but...

What happened?
On Aug 13, 2018 I went to my local Tesla Service Center and requested an appointment to have several recalls done, including seatbelts, Takata airbags, and aluminum steering bolts. I was told in no uncertain terms by Service Manager {redacted}, that my car is blacklisted by Tesla since it has a Rebuilt title. That in order for the recalls to be done I must get the car "recertified" at a cost of between $5,000 to $32,000, depending on whether repairs are needed.

So I called Tesla's National Customer Service line (877.798.3752) and reached {redacted} at Tesla's Burbank, CA location. After he checked with my local Service Center (which I'd already told him refused me) and with his supervisor, {redacted}, he informed me that my car is blacklisted by Tesla since it has a Rebuilt title, and in order for the recalls to be done I must get the car "recertified".

My car was professionally rebuilt, and has been registered with the State of California and
I've been driving it for two years. If we can all agree that wrecked cars are -going- to be rebuilt, then what should Tesla's policy be? I should think they'd want to protect their reputation and ensure the safety of their customers. So for recert do they charge High Fees -and- take away all
benefits that were paid for on purchase of the car, like navigation, Autopilot, and Supercharging?

Well the cost/benefit alone forces those of us with Rebuilt cars to drive around with NO inspections, except those done by the State Patrol, which are only checking that we did not use stolen parts.

So clearly their goal is NOT to protect their reputation and ensure the safety of their customers. What is the goal then? Make money?

I have a salvage tesla Model S. I bought it as a CPO in 2015 and it became salavge in December of 2017. I fixed the car and Tesla made it unsupported around mid June and by mid July supercharging was gone. Today the car won’t start giving me messages saying software update needed for car to start and car needs service. Tesla keeps taking away things from me and now the car is undrivable. I’m in need of help any advice and help would be appreciated. Thanks again

I have a salvage tesla Model S. I bought it as a CPO in 2015 and it became salavge in December of 2017. I fixed the car and Tesla made it unsupported around mid June and by mid July supercharging was gone. Today the car won’t start giving me messages saying software update needed for car to start and car needs service. Tesla keeps taking away things from me and now the car is undrivable. I’m in need of help any advice and help would be appreciated. Thanks again
Any good at Linux? Root your car and fix it yourself.

If not, pay wk $1,000+ for him to fix it.

Reactions: neroden
I would be really careful to use ingineers services.
He rooted and tried to convert a friends car to EU charging and lighting.
Lighting didn't work. So my friend repaired the car in one year time. And last week he asked ingineer to finally fix the lighting issue.
He just did a firmware update and bricked the tuner with this update. The lights still didn't work. BUT ingineer wanted 350 Dollar for this firmware update, which needs 5 mins to start. The car does the rest alone.
350 dollar for a bricked tuner and not solving the lighting issue.
When my friend didn't pay 5 days after that, ingineer locked his car out of his web interface for which my friend paid 750 dollar to use.

Solved this issue with other peoples help now:)
Can share these contacts if anyone is interested.

The car finally got registered on Friday :)

Just wanted to give a small word of caution here, from the experience we had.

Thanks for chiming in. I personally don’t feel comfortable with completely relying on some dude totally unaffiliated with Tesla to firstly ensure your safety when your life is on the line, and second, not screw you over when something goes wrong.

Disabling someone’s software or allegedly bricking their hardware when they attempt to infiltrate your network/root that they paid for would make @Ingineer no better than the folks at Tesla who did the same. While I’m not sure of the feasibility, rather than disabling their network, a better alternative would be to add more security on the other end to prevent attempts like those that were claimed.

Just my two cents

Last edited:
Not to add fuel to this fire, but I had a not-pleasant interaction with Ingineer as well when I first bought a car he originally rooted. I got the distinct impression that he didn't have time to bother, but wasn't polite enough to just say that. He just stopped replying to emails.

I eventually paid someone else to re-root the car and provide continued support, and have never been happier.

I've finally realised Tesla globally are a bunch of *%%$s when it comes to slavage cars and its not just limited my part of the World (Australia/NZ). So I paid Ingineer and have a had a great experience so far.

My 10 cents:
I get the impression that this is a real tricky business to be in. There's growing demand so guys doing it are getting busy. They can't exactly setup franchises/hire staff because its still a 'grey' industry and there's a big difference between being a one-man-band vs being a corporation in this space. So they each get busier and we all know that the busier we are the harder it is to cope and be nice to everybody. I'd like to know if anyone has an idea on how to move on from here-how can this be made legit? We should be allowed to run legitimate businesses fixing and modifying the computers and software in products in the same way as we are allowed to fix and modify the mechanical and electronic parts. Does the recent "right to repair" ruling help with this?

Copyright Office Ruling Issues Sweeping Right to Repair Reforms
Section 1201 Exemptions to Prohibition Against Circumvention of Technological Measures Protecting Copyrighted Works

Reactions: davidc18