Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salvage Car Owners Support Group.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
here is the pyrofuse picture
thumbnail_IMG_2561.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2560.jpg

curious to see what happens with the salvaged car group with the airbag recall

many of us have never brought our cars to Tesla and don't plan to, but this news about the airbags may draw many of us from the woodwork as they say.

wonder what would happen if someone brought a non certified repaired tesla to get the airbag recall done?

refusal of service? blacklist car? or perform the service and turn the other cheek

what are your thoughts?

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: croman and PaulusdB
curious to see what happens with the salvaged car group with the airbag recall

many of us have never brought our cars to Tesla and don't plan to, but this news about the airbags may draw many of us from the woodwork as they say.

wonder what would happen if someone brought a non certified repaired tesla to get the airbag recall done?

refusal of service? blacklist car? or perform the service and turn the other cheek

what are your thoughts?

By law, they have to honor safety recalls, even on non-supported and out of warranty cars. Them not doing to would cause such a @#$% storm that I cannot imagine them going down that route.

FYI, the pros probably know this, but I just found out the Model S has two steering wheel airbag modules, gen1 and gen 2. Gen 1 has 2 white wires going to the brown connector and was used until sometime in 2014. Being a newbie, I got a gen 2 off Ebay and didn't know the difference before I threw away my deployed gen 1. Now I need a deployed gen 1 airbag module in order to swap out the steering wheel controllers. Anybody have one?

Here is the parts list:

1 Busbar, Output, Neg, HVBAT, MDLS
(1048111-00-A)

2 SCREW,M8-1.25x19,HEX,BARSS,PATCH WITH WASHERS
(1004392-00-B)

1 FIELD KIT PYRO FUSE PACK 1.0 1.5
(1089619-00-B)

1 FIELD CONTRACTOR KIT W/O FUSE - PACK 1.0 1.5 (I think they meant contactor)
(1084515-00=B)

1 BLANKET, CERAMIC, HV, BATTERY, MDLS
(1006466-00-F)

8 TALL HEAD HOLLOW FASTENER FOR BIW MOUNTING SLEEVES WITH VHB SEAL
(1018552-00B)

2 SHORT HEAD PACK SPACER FASTENER ASSEMBLY
(1018551-00-B)

1 BATTERY RECYCLING LABEL
(1015713-00-B)

Here is explanation of work:

Replace power switches with latest generation parts as necessary.

Replace HV Blanket with updated part.

Retrofit 2nd Generation Battery Blanket and Remove Corrosion From Battery Cover.

OK, so...What is it that they are doing and why is it $1300 in parts and labor. My suspicion is that a contactor is working at going bad
and they want to upgrade with better contactor. Also, maybe a better Pyro switch and HV Blanket. Previous owner had shutdown while going uphill. After a tow and 12 volt battery disconnect, car was restarted and set code. They traded it 3 weeks later to Tesla Motors for a new car. I now own the car I believe without warranty. This was a re-certified car with salvage title. The code that was set was relayed to Tesla Service Tech who said it is a common problem and provided the above info of what to expect although hadn't seen the car. The car is drivable but maybe with a slight slowdown on a mash the pedal takeoff. The previous owners said that they had spent $11,000 on the re-certification process. I will be taking possession in about four weeks. They also said that they had the rear motor replaced before and they thought the rear motor developed a whine again. It is an MS, 85kWh. They had owned the car three years before trading it in.

Last edited:
I do not recommend you take the MCU apart unless you have extensive experience with electronics. Several forum members here have permanently damaged the MCU doing this. You also usually damage other parts of the car getting it out. (Such as the upper dashboard pad) If Tesla is going to do something to the car, they likely already have, so going to all that trouble usually doesn't do any good. If you still feel you must do this, the quick way is to unplug the antenna connections (one in each side-view mirror), these connectors are accessible behind each door panel.

I can assist with diagnostics, and I have a remote access app that gives you full control of the car, everything Tesla's has but more options and access to all diagnostic data anytime you like. This is essential for when you have problems. I can also disable Tesla's access but preserve the internet connection and allow navigation to work properly.

I can also restore any options Tesla may have disabled, such as Supercharging. I also will explain all the faults and alerts to you so you know what they mean.
Hello, Can you contact me, I would like your software for my MS85 13