Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salvage Car Owners Support Group.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stability Control/ Steering angle sensor Questions

Does the steering angle sensor involve the variable resistor inside the clock spring unit? Does it also somehow involve the metal matrix and tabs (sort of like windings) surrounding the steering column at the base of the steering wheel surround? Can this sensor be electronically reset to zero (or whatever the null value should be)? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Tesla considers that part of the SCCM and they just want you to replace it as a unit. There is a calibration procedure, but has to be done using Toolbox or CAN. (I can do this remotely)

Be very careful, if the clockspring goes too far, it will be destroyed, so if your angle is off quite a bit, the clockspring will be too.

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike
Tesla considers that part of the SCCM and they just want you to replace it as a unit. There is a calibration procedure, but has to be done using Toolbox or CAN. (I can do this remotely)

Be very careful, if the clockspring goes too far, it will be destroyed, so if your angle is off quite a bit, the clockspring will be too.

Here's what happened. In changing out the steering wheel airbag, I purchased the wrong version. Before realizing what was amiss I had the clockspring apart. (That's when I noticed the variable resistor mechanism). After getting the airbag fixed (thanks Ingineer for the airbag module reset) everything on the steering wheel works fine, but the stability control is now inactivated. I assume because I had the clock spring apart, but don't know for sure. So, what does the matrix/ winding thingy at the base of steering module (surrounding the steering wheel column) do? Is that part of the steering angle sensor? Is the variable resistor inside the clock spring also? Both, neither? Can the whole thing be remotely overridden?

A couple days after having Tesla do the 4-year service on my used Model S the steering wheel started making a slight noise when turning it. That has advanced to a scraping noise when turning back and forth. Tesla says it's because of a previous accident and I have to replace the entire steering system for 2500 bucks. It still strikes me as odd that it should start immediately after their service. Couldn't find anything on these forums, any ideas anybody?

Had the MCU replaced in my 2013 P85 and kept the old one as a spare just in case parts of it would come in handy in the future. Well sold the car now and wondering what I should do with it? Screen went dark and some systems would not work like HVAC. Service center said the MCU was defective and not communicating so replaced it. Common problem? Fixable?

Had a stone chip in one of my cornering lights without fogs, so I replaced them with a pair off a junkyard car, with fog lights. Of course Tesla won't even consider activating the fog lights when they haven't sold and installed the parts themselves (this was NEVER an issue with BMW, MB, VW, Audi - as long as you paid labor, they would do pretty much anything..), so I now have non-functioning fog lights. Not a big issue, but is there a way to fix this, or do I have to wait until someone comes up with 3rd part coding software, like VCDS for VAG cars?

Had a stone chip in one of my cornering lights without fogs, so I replaced them with a pair off a junkyard car, with fog lights. Of course Tesla won't even consider activating the fog lights when they haven't sold and installed the parts themselves (this was NEVER an issue with BMW, MB, VW, Audi - as long as you paid labor, they would do pretty much anything..), so I now have non-functioning fog lights. Not a big issue, but is there a way to fix this, or do I have to wait until someone comes up with 3rd part coding software, like VCDS for VAG cars?
There definitely needs to be a some basic toolbox functionality to cover cases like this.

Reactions: gabeincal
A couple days after having Tesla do the 4-year service on my used Model S the steering wheel started making a slight noise when turning it. That has advanced to a scraping noise when turning back and forth. Tesla says it's because of a previous accident and I have to replace the entire steering system for 2500 bucks. It still strikes me as odd that it should start immediately after their service. Couldn't find anything on these forums, any ideas anybody?

Hmm, I have a similar thing happening on my facelift AP2 model s, also after Service... will see what the prognosis is.

Please do let us know. I'm going to take the frunk cover out of mine and see if I can get a look at it. Hopefully it'll be something simple. Sure feels like maybe they drained some lubricant and then simply forgot to put it in. But I don't know if the steering mechanism has any such thing!

There definitely needs to be a some basic toolbox functionality to cover cases like this.

Tesla plans to launch such a “basic toolbox” next year. Is no excuse for leaving us high and dry until then. Least they could do in the meantime is offer programming services for those of us that need them...

Even with this though, I feel like there will be a lot to be desired. MCU dies out of warranty? I should 100% be able to pull a compatible unit from a junkyard and flash it to work with my car. We’ll see what they give us.

Had the MCU replaced in my 2013 P85 and kept the old one as a spare just in case parts of it would come in handy in the future. Well sold the car now and wondering what I should do with it? Screen went dark and some systems would not work like HVAC. Service center said the MCU was defective and not communicating so replaced it. Common problem? Fixable?

Sounds alot like Tegra failure, eMMC issue. Fixable, there's a guy on the forums who will re-solder a new eMMC on there... hard to know for sure without dumping the logs however. I'm taking an educated guess based on your year and symptoms.