Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salvage Car Owners Support Group.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I am also new to this forum as a member, though I read a lot before and am really impressed by
all the helpful topics here. Thanks to all of you!

So far I have been driving a 2015 Model S without any issues.

Now I got a European 2017 Model X 100D where the MCU burned off.
Not just black screen, real fire and smoke, almost nothing left except glass, a bit silicone and a metal frame.
See photo.

Maybe you can give me an initial assessment what the best approach may be to get this solved.
Especially as you know the hard- and software so well.

The car is unfortunately out of warranty regarding the MCU (>80k miles), so I thought to buy one from a salvage car.
I found one for less than $1k, which seems to be in great condition, a new one would probably cost >$3k (?).

I plugged it in the car and you can imagine what was shown on the screen:
- Wrong VIN, wrong battery size (pretends to be a X60D now)
- Wrong mileage, key not recognized
- Won't charge and won't drive, says "need Tesla support..."

Today I spoke with the service center and asked if they would re-program the MCU to fit my car.
To my understanding this is a simple Linux computer which requires some parameter setting and maybe a software update.
Could be that the LTE kit has to be switched, as this is from a NA model (I have a EU car).

But they said "nope - have to buy a new one".

Though this one seems to work fine and I proved that it is not stolen or whatever (seller showed a copy of salvage title
and I found it at copart with the same VIN and mileage).

So what do you think, is there a chance to get it running in my car (rooting, parameter switching)?
Former system data (config files etc) is not available I guess, as the old MCU is destroyed (or is is saved somewhere else?).
The used MCU showed software version 2018.48.12.1, which version was installed on the original one I don't know.

I could imagine to upgrade to MCU 2 officially later on, but for the moment I just want to get it running
(MUC 2 is not available in Europe yet).

Thanks for any useful hint/comment!

Attachments

• MCU_R-I-P.jpg
    MCU_R-I-P.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 211
Wow. Quite a mess.

The reason it won't start or charge is the firmware version installed in the 16 or so ECMs throughout the car, is not the same as that in the new(ish) MCU, and the failure is due to code-signing not checking true. That's not such a problem.

What is a problem is loss of carkeys and the gateway config file specific to your car.

Assuming that the dashboard damage is fixable and that you don't care if it accesses Tesla anymore, there are a couple of options.
  • I don't know when exactly Tesla changed the IC from being a full T3 processor to just a dummy display, but if yours is a full unit there may be quite a bit of data you can recover there. Just ssh there from the CID. If you can find gateway.cfg you can rename that to internal.dat and load it into the (newish) gateway with a special command (which I have yet to write about).
  • Some key information like carkeys is on the eMMC of the CID. This looks like it will be pretty toasty but the good news is the chip is designed to withstand heat. (allowing it to be soldered) I would unsolder this chip and try to recover what data you can.
  • If nothing else you can root the new(ish) MCU and rend it to your will. Once you have that you can do a service-redeploy to rebuild the staged modules for the ECMs specific to your car, and write the rest of the car. The kilometers is a sensitive issue and we open-sourcers do not make changes which are unethical; the mileage is stored in a sql file though. The catch with using the new(ish) MCU is you won't have the right carkeys. It is possible that one of our talented hackers can make you a key with matching carkeys. Another option is there's an app over on github called nikola (search Lunars) which establishes a reverse SSH connection with your car and looks and acts like the Tesla app, but communicating directly with your car. Unlock, start, etc. This takes a good bit of skill to set up but if it's not your field maybe someone like ce2078 will help (for a fee of course). I haven't tried nikola yet but will when I grow up.

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for your response.
These are really many useful hints!

Though it is quite a young car I do not really worry about some features like Tesla app.
To get it running (and charging at home) would be enough for the first instance.

I just learned that some parts I bought do not fit (autopilot 2.5), so I have to switch them first.
And I am about to get the required cable to have service access.

Will keep you updated.

Thanks so far!

PS: Sitting in Europe, therefor it was quite late when I posted last time.

PS: Sitting in Europe
Ahh.. then send your burned and unburned tegra-boards to LuckyLuke in the Netherlands:
Tesla MCU1 EMMC Vervangen Reparatie (in Dutch - but he speaks English as well)
For 325 EUR he can try to unsolder your emmc, read the contents and put them on the other board.
If that does not work, he has contacts to some data recovery services that so far were able to read every broken chip that he send them. (Data recovery costs 349 EUR extra with no guarantee that the data can be recovered)

• Helpful
Reactions: JRP3
Yes, Tesla will program keys, but you first have to create a Tesla account (if you don't already have one) and transfer the car into it by submitting a picture of the Title or valid registration, and a copy of your DL/ID, and the name on it MUST match the name on the title/reg. Then they will enable the app on the car and it can be driven. Then it's a simple matter to drive the car to Tesla and they will program a key.

I can also do this, but it's a bit more complicated, as it requires root access. Best bet is to go to Tesla.
Hello
Can you do it remotely, I’m a way and I’m my region I have one Tesla service across the country and they refuse to do

Today I disassembled the main board of the MCU or rather what was left (pic 1).
I was hoping to find a EMMC chip in a good shape, where some data may be recovered from.

But if I do not mix it up there's nothing at all (shouldn't it be where the red circle is?).

Btw: Also the Nvidia chip got toasted, half of it sticks to the cooling iron (blue array).

Attachments

• MCU_Board_1.jpg
    MCU_Board_1.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 157
  • MCU_Board_EMMC.jpg
    MCU_Board_EMMC.jpg
    354.5 KB · Views: 165
Among the ashes I now found a chip, size about 1 x 1 cm.
The upper side says "Analog Devices..." (cannot read all anymore).

Could this be the EMMC chip?
And if so, is there still a chance to get some data out of it?
- The surface shows some slight bubbles.

Attachments

• Tesla_Chip_1.jpg
    Tesla_Chip_1.jpg
    399.6 KB · Views: 144
  • Tesla_Chip_2.jpg
    Tesla_Chip_2.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 145
I also need help with my 2013 Salvage Tesla model S 85. So the car was in a front end collision. A condenser was knocked off. The thing is that the car was delivered to me with 0 range and no key. Luckily I was able to get remote access on my phone. However, even after having the “key” on my phone I’m not able to charge the Tesla. The door opens but the lock won’t go down. Please help.

Yes, Tesla will program keys, but you first have to create a Tesla account (if you don't already have one) and transfer the car into it by submitting a picture of the Title or valid registration, and a copy of your DL/ID, and the name on it MUST match the name on the title/reg. Then they will enable the app on the car and it can be driven. Then it's a simple matter to drive the car to Tesla and they will program a key.

I can also do this, but it's a bit more complicated, as it requires root access. Best bet is to go to Tesla.

hi, it seems like you know your Tesla’s. I need help with salvage my model s 85. So the car was in a front end collision. A condenser was knocked off. The thing is that the car was delivered to me with 0 range and no key. Luckily I was able to get remote access on my phone. However, even after having the “key” on my phone I’m not able to charge the Tesla. The door opens but the lock won’t go down. Please help.

Needhelp691812, would be helpful if you mention if the car is throwing any error codes. Also if air bags are blown, I believe it won't charge until you replace the pyrofuse.

BTW guys, if any of you guys know how to diagnose radar issues, please PM me if you can help. Radar unit is good (works fine in another car, built same year/month), all wiring seems to be good, fuse #130 is good, software update done, but the car still fails to recognize the radar. Thanks!

Yeah, somebody destroyed my wiki again. Looks like they dicked with the php this time.

Just as well, only few cared. Not worth tracking down the malefactor or finding the problem.

I have been doing a complete security and functionality overhaul of Lunar's scripts (first ever complete Tesla firewall, as well as backup of all critical files to IC & home server, updating maps, etc), but now I guess I'll just use them for myself.

You win, FuzzyBabyDucks, or Ingineer, or wk057. (most likely culprits) Not worth it. None of you ever, ever helped me, and I hope no one buys from any of you again. I have only my housing development to worry about now.

Have fun with your Trumpian fears and protecting your meager profits. At least I'm safe and financially independent.

And I tried my best to help the People. It was the Right thing to do, as my dad would have said.

Last edited:
TBH I don't think Tesla has the skillset. I have significant and advanced protections in place.

Nor would they necessarily have such an interest in molesting substantially MCU1 info. Although my scripts would have been a coup for all MCUs, I'd only started an article with no details on them.

Whereas the Usual Suspects have the skills, the motivation, and a good dose of unhealthy antipathy.

Life's too short to live like that AFAIC.

Last edited: