Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salvage Car Owners Support Group.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like you're correct, I went back to 2018.48 today and still no connectivity. So now it looks like anything before 2019.40 causes a problem with internet connectivity when downgrading firmware. I wonder why

Didn't Tesla make a change where anything older than 2019.40 would lose the ability to connect - something about a change to the VPN? I recall getting an email about this for my older Model S.

They converted from OpenVPN to websocket (aka 'hermes'). Absolutely incompatible and OpenVPN is gone from the mothership.

From our good friend:
verygreen said:
The only precautions you should be taking:
- Stop odin-engine (the real spyware) and hermes-teleforce.
- You can also stop hermes-grablogs and the like. The vpn components
of hermes are called hermes-client and hermes-proxy - have those two up
and Tesla cannot log into your car but you get all mothership functionality.

I have been driving a salvage model x 100d for the last 19 months that I repaired, the car is unsupported, no software updates or supercharging
a few months ago I took it to tesla to get the ccs2 retrofit installed, expecting them to say this cant be done. they fitted it and then it could ccs charge on third-party chargers! (but supercharging was still blocked) also after they were done installing the ccs upgrade, the car started to software update as well and has been receiving regular updates since!
a few days ago I noticed that the "trip planner (beta)" option reappeared under the navigation tab, this was previously not there, so I just went to the supercharger and it worked for the first time! it even auto-billed my card for the session. I'm not sure why this is, but now my car seems to do everything a normal tesla should apart from the warranty!
Has anyone experienced anything similar?

so I just went to the supercharger and it worked for the first time! it even auto-billed my card for the session. I'm not sure why this is, but now my car seems to do everything a normal tesla should apart from the warranty!
There were reports that salvage Model 3 cars were able to supercharge about a week ago, but that stopped working after a few days. Please check again, and let us know if it still works for you. If it does, I suggest 🤫

Reactions: NiallDarwin
Rumor has it that it was an error when making some mothership-side changes that inadvertently ignored the "unsupported_vehicle" list (among other things)... which made teleforce's config consistency checks (the one that undoes softpack unlocks and such) start correcting configurations back to what they were supposed to originally be at purchase vs the supercharging disabled config... facepalm ...

Unfortunately they didn't miraculously grow a conscience and undo their unauthorized modifications to people's vehicles and start allowing salvages to supercharge. Would've been nice if that were the case, though.

I have been driving a salvage model x 100d for the last 19 months that I repaired, the car is unsupported, no software updates or supercharging
a few months ago I took it to tesla to get the ccs2 retrofit installed, expecting them to say this cant be done. they fitted it and then it could ccs charge on third-party chargers! (but supercharging was still blocked) also after they were done installing the ccs upgrade, the car started to software update as well and has been receiving regular updates since!
a few days ago I noticed that the "trip planner (beta)" option reappeared under the navigation tab, this was previously not there, so I just went to the supercharger and it worked for the first time! it even auto-billed my card for the session. I'm not sure why this is, but now my car seems to do everything a normal tesla should apart from the warranty!
might want to disable your updates ASAP while you still have supercharging capability..

Bah, Ziply Fiber (ISP) screwed me when my ONT went out. I waited all day for the tech to show up and replace it, but they secretly tested it remotely looping back only the fiber section and not testing the RJ45 drivers, and secretly cancelled the service call. So I missed a full day working on my housing development, and fired Ziply. Bye. They were happy to see me go as I was on a grandfathered $40/mo plan. I regret it came to this but they'd cost me a-lot of money with that wasted day.

Signed up for T-Mobile's new home service and have been waiting for the wireless cylinder, which arrived yesterday. Should be back on the air shortly. No more teathering to phone.

There's a recent thread here somewhere where a guy is struggling with replacing his eMMC and my wiki would be a big help. He included a picture of his board and attempts to pull the data, but I can't find his post now.

Last edited:
Signed up for T-Mobile's new home service and have been waiting for the wireless cylinder, which arrived yesterday. Should be back on the air shortly. No more teathering to phone.

On a completely off-topic point, I really am looking forward to T-Mo internet becoming available in my area. Right now, our only two non-satellite choices are FiOS and Atlantic Broadband. ABB is complete crap. I have FiOS but it is pricey for what I am getting.

Hm, I find .you can turn off its wifi (up to 12 SSIDs!), although this is intended to be the way you use it, but I did leave one channel on set to the lowest power in 5GHz with no broadcast, as a fallback. However ethernet connection has no web controls and does not seem to have internet access; and it's a private CIDR. I don't want/trust their wifi so will call tomorrow. I expected to use ethernet.

Ostensibly their connexion to the tower is 5G 700MHz which would normally be good, but I'm down a hill from the tower and have always had bad TMo service. This cylinder has two bars out of four. (inside a closet in a brick house) If it works out I'll grant it a window location. Or maybe inside a PVC pipe outside on the chimney.

Excerpted from a backchannel conversation:
-1-All chime sounds are all distorted; basically anything that would typically result in a chime...an mcu reboot, putting the car in Reverse, signal indicators, park assist, and even navigation sounds have been replaced by some noise which is best described as static/distortion/interference. I'm not sure how to fix this...in thinking that this is a software problem, my first thought was to do a service-redeploy ....but therein lies another discovered issue:

-2-Running service-redeploy or any firmware update hosted locally via telnet 192.168.90.100 2596 ....fails. Everything leading up to the failure...file not served...tail -f syslog---monitored downloaded software...gostaged seems as normal but then after the install starts...screen reboots...comes back with a.."update did not complete successfully...wait for new update...." digging through syslog and combing through the logs...the below seem most relevant to the failure:
Hoping the above is clear enough or indicative of the issue...seems the gateway release file that fails to generate is the cause of the failure and I am not sure how to go about resolving this...Any help as usual here is much appreciated Rooter...whenever you have any time.

rooter said:
1. I've has this static-instead-of-chimes, and it was because a gateway config file had me designated as having standard stereo rather than premium. Don't remember whether it was hwid or internal.dat.

2. Actually I'm presently having a very similar problem -- gateway boots and I can ping it, but service-redeploy fails after 45 seconds at "Starting". I work on this a few minutes each week as I have time. What happened was my MCU failed so I bought another which was very close in revision, and put in my old CID of course. BUT the gateway firmware (large SD) is the wrong rev causing the failure.

I have two versions of my original firmware, and laying down the first has failed this way. So now I've laid down the second and need time to put the MCU back together and try.

I'm assuming you're rooted. Don't bother to try and get your present gateway firmware from parts 1 or 2, as they hold the firmware for many versions. The place to look is part 3 in 'staged'. Hopefully that will be the same version as is in parts 1 & 2 so you should be able to lay that down on the MMC and succeed hopefully. Make a dd backup image of what you have first though. I haven't done it this way, so only theory.

1-I did see audioType in internal.dat file which could’ve standard or premium and did update that to what I had in my old emmc - rebooted the gateway but no dice :-(. I shall check again…I have not checked in HWIDs…i have gxfer the hwids file and checked it out but did not see anything in there that stood out. Should you think of anything else please do let me know…I’ll keep checking the settings in there though.

2-good points…I did completely change the daughterboard and not just the emmc chip on my original board…the original’s processor actually died. I did restore the backup of the original emmc onto a swissbit and that’s what I have running now. I did not see anything on p3 in the staged folder…in that original chip, I’m assuming you mean /cid-updater/staged? There were unpacked http files in CID-updater/ but nothing in staged; no release.tgz file…hoping I understood you right though? Logging on to the gw and running ls I do not even see a release.tgz file there and there is no /DAS folder either…which maybe explains why I’m also swing DAS_w048 unavailable? It just seems to me that something is awry with my gateway…is there any other way to restore that?

rooter said:
2. You've understood correctly. meh, nothing in staged. Look for a gwy.img or .bin or somesuch in part 3.

DAS, fwiw is 'Driver Assist System', IOW Autopilot, and it's only a 'w', warning. The warning would probably be resolved with a successful service-redeploy and install.

Yes something's awry with my gateway too. I've laid down a different original image but must reassemble my MCU and try an update. I'm still learning this myself, and I have virtually no free time.

Ahh! You are clearly some sort of wizard...I found the .img and laid it down...that allowed the successful redeploy...so...whatever ambrosia you are drinking...keep doing it! :) If I can ever help you sort out anything Rooter please...should you ever need spare parts lemme know as I more than likely can get some.

On another note though...that did not resolve the chime issue or the 048 das---in diagnostic mode for DAS it does throw out the RaddcCommissue...I did follow your documented instructions for calibrating the vertical of the Radar but it did not seem to have an effect. Is there an Odin equivalent on Model S' that would allow the calibration tasks per chance? I dug around the directories but did not find anything there...

Thank you a million for your time again!

Well done.

It doesn't seem to be a calibration issue, and BTW you must calibrate both x and y axes. It seems to have a problem communicating with the radar. Check the connections and consider replacing the radar.

Can't explain the chimes any further than I have. It's all I know.

Hi all, repairing a Model 3 here. The car turns on but does not run, no charging etc. assume the pyrofuse has blown or needs resetting?

My main question is TOW MODE / TRANSPORT MODE. We’ve literally spent days trying to get the wheels to unlock so that we can roll the car off the truck (it was forklifted on originally).

What on earth are we doing wrong? It goes into tow mode, the steering wheel loosens and I can move the front tyres, but the rear tyres are lock shut, we’ve had a go trying to push this thing and the tyres definitely are not moving.

Does anyone know if there is anything else that would be locking the wheels in tow mode?

I should probably note that we are not able to change any gears at all ie. Putting into neutral