Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salvage cars: Tesla permanently disabling SC from supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But OTP chips are programmed at factory. I wouldn't imagine they have a OTP chip that isn't programmed yet that is just waiting from them to use to disable supercharging function. Tesla doesn't have that kind of foresight (or they would have designed the supercharger protocol from the start not to rely on in car authorization).
There are EEPROMs with an OTP secure register, that maybe was not needed up to now, and Tesla found an interesting way to put it to work. Maybe that's what they're doing. (If they are doing this, I don't see how it would block 3rd party DC charging, which is good news, but I'm just guessing).

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Again, other manufacturers don't own their primary charging network. They have plausible deniability by saying that "there was no way to know if it was the salvage car or the 3rd party charging network that caused the issue."
Yeah, whatever...

Attachments

• IMG_1473.jpg
    IMG_1473.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 110
Our government is the worth corporation on earth. You are funny.
its called a balance of power. something that has been sorely missing the last few decades in the US.

if the big boys would act properly on their own, we wouldn't need enforcing bodies. people act poorly and so we have cops. corps act poorly and so we NEED a government that functions and is for the people. yeah, I know, strange concept, huh? (not strange to most of EU, that is).

They have no actual control over the company. The second that they have met their financial oblation, they will be a fart in the wind.
Yes, that's why their headquarters are in the same building as VW headquarters. And that's why VW is promoting the ID.3 and the ID.4 in the US, because they don't want their customers to be able to charge anywhere.

And of course, in Europe you have many other automaker owned networks: Ionity, DCS...

VAG is court ordered to supply money to EA for the dieselgate damages. They have no actual control over the company. The second that they have met their financial oblation, they will be a fart in the wind.
Also it's court ordered not to unfairly favor VW (even though many argue it's doing that in roundabout ways, for example the huge preference of CCS over CHAdeMO). So VW is pretty well isolated from this company (a fault in this company does not really burn over to VW, for example the whole labor day debacle, people blamed EA, not VW).

The Rivian Adventure Network is really the only analog I can think of that is similar to the supercharger network. The other ones most similar are dealer fast chargers, but those mostly use third party chargers and the independent dealer is responsible for it (not the manufacturer which at most provided the initial installation).

It's not nearly the same as the supercharger network, which is not only exclusive to Tesla owners, but Tesla owns/operates/maintains it and even manufactured all the equipment for it. There is no plausible deniability (I remember in China there was one incident where a Tesla employee mentioned an unstable grid as a possible cause of damage to car, and an edited video was posted with that part and Tesla was trashed by the internet).

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

• Informative
Although I agree that EA is not exactly comparable to the Tesla network, a catastrophic accident in any charger of EA would have a terrible negative impact on the whole EV industry. And yet... they allow salvage cars to charge.

Regarding CCS and CHAdeMO, CHAdeMO is a dying standard. True, there is a new specification, but involves a new plug (hence, at the very least, an adapter for existing cars and new charging stations) and Nissan has abandoned the standard. So if EA is favoring CCS it's because that's what the industry demands, not because they are favouring VW. Chevys and BMWs also use CCS.

In any case, if Tesla has bad reputation as a company, it is not because their superchargers are exploding (never happened in 9 years of salvage owners supercharging rebuilt cars). It is because of stuff like this:

It is because of stuff like this:

Stuff like that? That is a common practice in the automotive world and is completely legal. Each state seems to have different rules, but they often don't have to declare repaired damage unless the cost to repair it is in excess of 10% of the value of the vehicle. (And windshields are normally completed excluded from having to be disclosed or included in the repair cost calculation.)

It seems that it is 6% in Illinois, and excludes bumpers:

Disclosure is not required when the cost to repair does not exceed 6 percent of the MSRP. Further, damage to glass, tires, bumpers and in-dash audio equipment is not considered as damage, if replaced with OEM equipment.

So I'm not sure that they would have a leg to stand on in...

Although I agree that EA is not exactly comparable to the Tesla network, a catastrophic accident in any charger of EA would have a terrible negative impact on the whole EV industry. And yet... they allow salvage cars to charge.

Regarding CCS and CHAdeMO, CHAdeMO is a dying standard. True, there is a new specification, but involves a new plug (hence, at the very least, an adapter for existing cars and new charging stations) and Nissan has abandoned the standard. So if EA is favoring CCS it's because that's what the industry demands, not because they are favouring VW. Chevys and BMWs also use CCS.
Ccs is not what industry demands it’s what Europe Bureaucrats demand.

The title status has nothing whatsoever to do with the matter. The question is whether or not the owner of a product has rights. This will become a large issue for Tesla if they take a stance that is bad for consumers, either it will provide a competitive advantage for competitors or facilitate the creation of state level legislation re the very topic that creates patchwork and varied state level legislation. Imagine if @wk057 could legally supercharge his car in MA but not in CT and could in NC but not in TN? What a cluster * that would be for Tesla.

Ccs is not what industry demands it’s what Europe Bureaucrats demand.
And that is the market regulator. Good for them. Title status has everything to do with regulators, it is a construct of our political system. That's all it is. Tesla is doing this to manipulate stock and risk to Tesla. They are doing so at the expense of the person to whom they sold a product. No one else does so. Frankly amazing they have not been sued already.

Info from Ingineerx's live Q&A this week:

"Can a Tesla CHAdeMO adapter charge a salvage Model 3?"

"No, when Tesla cuts off supercharging, they also kindly kill ALL DC fast charging as far as I know."
I have lots of respect for Ingineerx, but this time he appears to be wrong. Jack Richard just demonstrated CHAdeMO charging on a salvage Model 3 that had supercharging disabled a few months ago, and it seems from other discussions it's said in the rest of the forums that this appears to be the case at least for now.

Of course if an example can be brought up where this is not the case (I haven't seen one example yet), that would be a good counter example.

That's good to know. I also have a lot of respect for him, but would like to know of specific cases where that's true.
When Tesla finally releases a CCS adapter for NA, supercharger blocking will be less of an issue.
That's good to know. I also have a lot of respect for him, but would like to know of specific cases where that's true.

When Tesla finally releases a CCS adapter for NA, supercharger blocking will be less of an issue.
dream on

• Funny