Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salvage cars: Tesla permanently disabling SC from supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I assumed my moving to Oklahoma and getting a new title there is what caused them to suddenly kill my ability to supercharge. Apparently it was not. But on a stranger note I've owned my car for more than 5 years and more than 200,000 miles. I've had warranty repairs done from before 50,000 miles (under the bumper to bumper warranty) and had my drive unit replaced twice under warranty. I've also supercharged that whole time. And, before I bought my car, knowing it had been in a wreck, I called Tesla and a rep there told me the car was under warranty and would have free supercharging for life. (Confirmed by their doing warranty repairs.)

So, mine is a little bit different circumstance as I never knew it was salvaged and, apparently, neither did tesla. This may be because no insurance company ever totaled the vehicle. Apparently it was just some rich guy who didn't want to screw with it so he left it at the junkyard and they just sold it that way. There's some small chance that the state of New york, apparently where it was wrecked, Will reverse the decision. But it doesn't sound like it. In any event, because mine is this unique situation I am planning to push Tesla pretty hard. In fact, I'm definitely going to have a working car by the time we're done with this! I also would avoid going to court in every way possible, and I'm a big Tesla fan, but I am going to get a car that runs and charges so that I can now enjoy my retirement, which is why I kept this car after all.

We also suffered the "out in the middle of nowhere when we were shut off" issue. Had to rent a car to our destination, and then go back and get it after an overnight charge at a Tesla service center.

I agree with everybody, this is just a nuts thing to do. To me the most difficult part of it all is that the Tesla employees, all the service people I've ever worked with have been good people, are now getting hit pretty hard by a bunch of angry people. This cannot be good for company morale! I honestly believe it will cost Tesla a lot more than just future sales. It's going to cost them some good people.

• Helpful
Reactions: cleverscreenam
Thats not possible (to "unknowingly buy a car back with a salvage title"). It was your car, you knew it was totaled (would have to know because you got a payout for it) then chose to buy the car back and would have to sign documents stating it was a salvage title.

What you likely mean is "Unaware of what the ramifications of buying a salvage tesla were"? I guess that sounds like I am putting words in your mouth, but its not possible to "unknowingly buy the car back with a salvage title", thats simply not possible since you have to sign paperwork to buy a car, and it will be there somewhere.
Hello All,

Sorry I have not been back to clarify what I was furious about was not knowing that I could/ would be banned from supercharging for buying my car back with a salvaged title. So a few months back the car miraculously started Supercharging again as I pulled into a Sheetz and hell with it, plugged in and just walked in the store, looked at the app and it's charging WTF. Great maybe they heard me cussing, or the negative twitter post, whatever TSLA is King again and life is good. Driven to Cincinnati, Charleston SC, etc. On a trip back from Charleston normally charge in Columbia not happening, banned again. Last time I used a SC was on 4-13-22. So I now have a 140K very nice golf cart that run 0-60 in 2.3s with at 275 range. You can't tell me that with TSLA tech they cannot see a issue with electrical charging system and deny access until issue resolved, or certification from a service center. Complete Bullshit! but shame on me for not researching buying back a car that I bought new. I have multiple salvaged vehicles in one of my company fleets and with Covid BS delays you cannot get your hands on anything. Hell ICE work trucks are a year out so I know a thing or two about keeping it going. This also seems fraudulent on the certified dealers, making determinations like this as the insurance companies are getting ripped. My friend who has body shop for 40 years certified in Ford aluminum repaired it using no heat. Sorry for the rant but like I said originally Tesla lack of service or Human contact to resolve easy issues is null! Im just waiting on the X plaid to get here to complete business as usual.

Thanks

Shakeey

Hello All,

Sorry I have not been back to clarify what I was furious about was not knowing that I could/ would be banned from supercharging for buying my car back with a salvaged title. So a few months back the car miraculously started Supercharging again as I pulled into a Sheetz and hell with it, plugged in and just walked in the store, looked at the app and it's charging WTF. Great maybe they heard me cussing, or the negative twitter post, whatever TSLA is King again and life is good. Driven to Cincinnati, Charleston SC, etc. On a trip back from Charleston normally charge in Columbia not happening, banned again. Last time I used a SC was on 4-13-22. So I now have a 140K very nice golf cart that run 0-60 in 2.3s with at 275 range. You can't tell me that with TSLA tech they cannot see a issue with electrical charging system and deny access until issue resolved, or certification from a service center. Complete Bullshit! but shame on me for not researching buying back a car that I bought new. I have multiple salvaged vehicles in one of my company fleets and with Covid BS delays you cannot get your hands on anything. Hell ICE work trucks are a year out so I know a thing or two about keeping it going. This also seems fraudulent on the certified dealers, making determinations like this as the insurance companies are getting ripped. My friend who has body shop for 40 years certified in Ford aluminum repaired it using no heat. Sorry for the rant but like I said originally Tesla lack of service or Human contact to resolve easy issues is null! Im just waiting on the X plaid to get here to complete business as usual.

Thanks

Shakeey

Attachments

• 7593DB06-0889-420A-B627-9C16F55FBF88.jpeg
    7593DB06-0889-420A-B627-9C16F55FBF88.jpeg
    330.9 KB · Views: 244
I'm not sure I understand this. The insurance companies are the ones that declare a vehicle totaled not the dealers/autobody shops.

Although insurance companies clearly can declare a vehicle totaled, apparently that isn't always the case. Mine was declared totaled by New York state, before I bought it, and without myself or Tesla knowing it. They gave me warranty repairs and allowed me super charging for 5 years and 200,000 miles before they somehow discovered that New York had once labeled it salvage. Before I bought it I checked carefully with my insurance company, it had never been salvaged by any company. Also my credit union would not loan me the money if it is salvage title, and they did. Tesla would never have given me warranty repairs, or supercharging access, if they had thought it was salvaged. Of course I called Tesla before I bought it as well, and they said it was good . So, now they've cut me off, and I'm not sure exactly how this works!

I purchased my car a few months ago with a salvaged title. The seller told me that supercharger is working fine and we tested everything was fine. I could see the free supercharging available on my app and on the car. Therefore, I purchased the car. It worked for a month or so, but suddenly it stopped working. I guess the software update caused them to catch this and remove this function from my car without any notice. I can still see the free supercharging option on my app but it does not work on the car. I felt that I was scammed by Tesla and the previous owner. There must be something to do legally as a group of dissatisfied customers. I know change.com has a good influence on decision makers. We can create a petition there if needed. If Tesla was planning to remove that function, they should make a public announcement in advance ( a year or so) and, more importantly, they should have removed that free supercharging information from the car and the app as well, which totally misled me and probably many others.

I guess the software update caused them to catch this and remove this function from my car without any notice.
I'll go out on a limb and say it is likely that the prior owner had the car hacked to re-enable the Supercharging and avoided updates. So when you updated the hack was lost. Just a guess.

If Tesla was planning to remove that function, they should make a public announcement in advance ( a year or so)
Their policy of disabling Supercharging on salvage vehicles has been on their site for years...

I'll go out on a limb and say it is likely that the prior owner had the car hacked to re-enable the Supercharging and avoided updates. So when you updated the hack was lost. Just a guess.

Their policy of disabling Supercharging on salvage vehicles has been on their site for years...
Thank you for pointing out the possibility of the previous owner's trick. I am sad that I could not figure it out. I guess there was no way for someone who does not have experience with Tesla's supercharging option to know this trick before purchasing it. This brings me to my second question. Where exactly do they mention it on Tesla's site? Also, how someone would know this if the car itself shows that the car has a free supercharging on the dashboard and it works. Please do not get me wrong. I am questioning your response, but the weirdness of the situation and the hypocrisy of Tesla.

• Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Where exactly do they mention it on Tesla's site?

Also, how someone would know this if the car itself shows that the car has a free supercharging on the dashboard and it works.

If the title is branded you should just assume Supercharging won't be available.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Tesla - Never Again
I just viewed a 201 Tesla Model 3, While testing the vehicle , I went to a tesla supercharger and all worked great, I was so impressed on how easy it was. I have the receipt and credit card statement to prove it. Why say that? Because after all went well on the testing of the vehicle I decided to buy it. I also purchased a tesla wall charger. Here is the problem, I was aware of the car having a rebuilt title and in Manitoba when a car is repair because the repair was too much for insurance company to pay, they sell as is, then the car must go through a Integrating certification before it can return to service. This means the car is returned to 100% of its new status. Yet after a week of owning the car, I wanted to see how long it would take to charge for 5% to full, to prepare for a road trip. It was a Saturday , the car would not charge, and tesla phone support is NOT 24/7 they are closed on weekends, so here I am with no charge to get home, I had to find a Level 2 charger to get enough power to get home, well 3 hours later I get home. Then online some people say that the car must be at 20% and preheated to charge, so Sunday, off I go again, with enough power to return home just in case, and good thing I did, because again did not charge.
So I call Monday noon to talk to support and they tell me the car is a salvage car and cannot be charged on TESLA fast charges, I explained it did work, and the car was on rebuilt status for over 4 months, charging all this time without issues. So why only 10 days after I buy the car does Tesla deem its not safe to charge??? Fact is the car is 100% safe and checked by the Government of Manitoba. So there response was not acceptable, so then I said ok, then I will use 3rd party DC fast charges, however the car needs to have the CCS software enabled and/or installed. They said they did not know how to do that and to contact the service department to bring the car in, My service depart is in a different province and over 800KMS away with a car that has a range of 360kms, HOW in gods name and I going to do that, I requested they temporally turn it back on so I can get the car to a service department, they flatly refused.
So - No Supercharger and no CCS fast charging, they basic said your tough luck for buying tesla, because like Apple, even if you own the product WE CONTROL IT weather you like it or not!
What would you do? Sell for parts and Sue telsa for the difference, because it is there fault, and please don't say I should have known when the system worked foe the first 10days I bought the vehicle. The car only has 5500K and still on Warranty, at least I think they are legally responsible for that?
So with the warranty I do not want to hack the car to make it work.
GF

Then why did it work when I bought the car? The car was damaged in 2019, 3 years ago, This is just wrong, other manufactures do not do this, so what gives telsa the right?
Maybe Tesla doesn’t cross check the VIN with salvage databases until it’s supercharged? So it worked the first time but that triggered the system to check and see if the VIN was salvaged. Then by the next time it was marked as salvaged in Teslas database and blacklisted from supercharging.

Tesla runs the charging network so they can allow or ban whoever they want from using it. If you have a problem with it then sue them. Arguing on a forum with random people isn’t going to resolve this for you.

Maybe Tesla doesn’t cross check the VIN with salvage databases until it’s supercharged? So it worked the first time but that triggered the system to check and see if the VIN was salvaged. Then by the next time it was marked as salvaged in Teslas database and blacklisted from supercharging.

Tesla runs the charging network so they can allow or ban whoever they want from using it. If you have a problem with it then sue them. Arguing on a forum with random people isn’t going to resolve this for you.

This seems very logical. I’m sure Tesla doesn’t actively keep tabs on VINs. But once they show up in the system, it’s red-flagged.