Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salvage fast charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please correct me if I’m wrong but from reading over this topic..
Tesla has restricted 3rd party rapid charging
So for example Shell recharge here in UK offer speeds of 150kwh - I will never get this speed in my salvage m3 because Tesla have capped it?
I haven't heard of 3rd party charging being capped, or turned off. But why don't you try it and report back how it works?

I tried it today at a shell recharge ccs charger that had the capacity of achieving 150 kWh - I got 50 max lol
This was in UK
That isn't enough information to know if there is a restriction. What was your state of charge? (You get higher kWs of charging at lower states of charge.) Also, what temperature was it? (You get lower kWs of charge the colder the battery is.)

Getting to the charge station with a hot battery, ~1-hour of highway speed driving, at 5-10% will get you the fastest speed/highest kW charging rate.

Please correct me if I’m wrong but from reading over this topic..
Tesla has restricted 3rd party rapid charging
So for example Shell recharge here in UK offer speeds of 150kwh - I will never get this speed in my salvage m3 because Tesla have capped it?
When Tesla disables this in your car, I guess you won't be able to charge. No speed cap, the car will refuse any dc charging.
I don't think that's legal, and I think we should contest it in court or somewhere.

There is a lot of conjecture on this topic but I would think Tesla's stance on this is based on safety. They do not know that the high voltage system in a salvage car is mechanically and electronically sound. Joe Mechanic down the street may have zip-tied some HV connections together instead of proper fasteners which may cause the car to go boom at a supercharger - and no one wants that to happen.

They are leaving money on the table though. Tesla should charge a fee for a salvage HV/battery inspection and if the car passes, they should give the owner the option to re-enable paid supercharging on the car.
I paid for high voltage certification from my local Tesla after my service advisor said that would re enable supercharging. In fact I bought the car on his advice, because he said that would do the trick. However they corrected themselves after I bought the car and had the service done. When I picked up the car they said sorry we can’t do that. So then he recommended a Chademo adapter and I went and bought one but it doesn’t work either… I will see what my recourse is as I only based my decisions up till now on my Tesla service center advice not forums or some guy with a zip tie. I know the damage done and Tesla performed the safety check but I still can’t DC…

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
I paid for high voltage certification from my local Tesla after my service advisor said that would re enable supercharging. In fact I bought the car on his advice, because he said that would do the trick. However they corrected themselves after I bought the car and had the service done. When I picked up the car they said sorry we can’t do that. So then he recommended a Chademo adapter and I went and bought one but it doesn’t work either… I will see what my recourse is as I only based my decisions up till now on my Tesla service center advice not forums or some guy with a zip tie. I know the damage done and Tesla performed the safety check but I still can’t DC…

You can't just trust anything coming out of the mouth of a Tesla employee, especially the service center ones, which are basically incompetent.

Reactions: cwerdna

You should attempt to take that up the chain with tesla. Of course, it will likely get that employee fired, as they are likely not supposed to recommend anything at all related to a salvage vehicle other than "we dont support that". So, you might be able to get something done if you can prove that this employee told you this (perhaps witnesses, or an email)?

Since you say they told you two specific pieces of incorrect advice, you should get some legal advice on your next step, as long as you dont mind burning those bridges.

In the end I put my Tesla up for sale and it sold in 3 days even salvaged. I was shocked but thankful to get more than I paid. Then bought another one for slightly more with a clean title. Glad to have supercharging, sad for salvaged Tesla owners to go through loops.